No announcement yet.

Canadian BBQ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys, let's all play nice. And there really should be no disagreements here, when we all know my dad can beat up your dad.

How do I retrieve the smiley faces (emoticons?)? I accidentally opened an additional slew of them, then hit an 'X' because I thought it would close all but the original few that have always shown. Now there are none displayed. I'm on an Android phone.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

. Got it...I think.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        . Got it...I think.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by trent View Post
          From the beginning of this thread people have been throwing in a little food/ meat/ bbq humor into this situation.

I don't see anything wrong with it.

There are some arguments about one thing or another along the way.

And after all ,to an extent, the thread has keep everything, opinions and news up to date.

So a little food humor around the campfire ain't all that bad, matter of fact I think it is a positive thing.
          For what's it worth, I agree with you. That brave men tread where fools run in should never be taken for granted, or expected. Every human is an individual, these aren't just some masses of people helping each other out, they are all professional individuals putting their individual life on the line. You are born alone and you die alone. No one accompanies you. I, personally, cannot take any of this kind of help, from whomever, for granted, expect it, or throw it into a "tit for tat" equivocation. Fathers, brothers, and Mother's sons die, and their grief is heavy, and the loss felt for the rest of their lives. The world is robbed of a brave man. That is a high cost. That is what I motivated my statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post

For what's it worth, I agree with you. That brave men tread where fools run in should never be taken for granted, or expected. Every human is an individual, these aren't just some masses of people helping each other out, they are all professional individuals putting their individual life on the line. You are born alone and you die alone. No one accompanies you. I, personally, cannot take any of this kind of help, from whomever, for granted, expect it, or throw it into a "tit for tat" equivocation. Fathers, brothers, and Mother's sons die, and their grief is heavy, and the loss felt for the rest of their lives. The world is robbed of a brave man. That is a high cost. That is what I motivated my statement.
            OK I get that and understand that.

I'm kinda slow on the uptake on things so forgive me.

But what rattled your emotions on this as for as the thread goes, was it some kind of disrespect by others.

Are Canadians somehow disrespecting African volunteers, taking help for granted.

I've reread the thread , did it all stem from disagreement over helicopter use in logging?

I like reading your involvement in thread here and in vortex.

just trying to figure this out? Remember I'm slow to see things sometimes.

one good thing for me is since this thread started talking about heli logging I've watch some good YouTube videos on it.
            Last edited by trent; 06-11-2023, 10:27 PM.

Comment

I don't post in the Vortex. I was a Master Level machinist at Sikorsky Aircraft. I programmed CNC machines, designed fixtures, and end mills, specialized in machining composites. We were using 3D printers in 1983! I've made bulkheads from solid pieces of aluminum from the foundry. I've written the programs off of the blueprints, and did that for many years. I also do C.A.D.. As far as helicopter logging goes, the companies that do it right make good money. trees with large diameters are worth more than trees with small diameters. Just look at old grown wooden doors, like in England, where the door is 6 feet wide, and made from once piece of wood. There was this negativity in the thread, seeming to state it wasn't profitable. If it wasn't, why would there be so many companies out there doing it?

Obviously there is a limit to what helicopters can carry. I saw a very interesting show. Certain valuable trees were cut to length on site before being transported, to get maximum value of the resource.

When people operating at a high level of danger offer their services, and do it with reciprocity, that should never be taken for granted. I post what I believe, but I am not angry with anybody here. I just reply, and reply again, if it is warranted.

I spent 3 weeks flying around in Canada, it's so beautiful, and the people were all so friendly. I don't think Canadians are disrespecting anybody. It was just the cavalier way that a enthusiastic group was posted about. Watch the video, I don't think I could be so jubilant knowing I was going to fight an inferno.
              Last edited by Suzukian; 06-11-2023, 10:58 PM.

Comment

one good thing for me is since this thread started talking about heli logging I've watch some good YouTube videos on it.
                In the old days we used to ride the barges when they dumped just for giggles..... Can't get away with that now though. Transport Kanada would have a sh!tfit ........... The one below doesn't get airborne but sometimes they did when the fast dumped ......

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                1983 GS 750

Comment

Canadian firefighting experts left Vancouver on Tuesday and are not expected to return until early January, meaning they will be thousands of miles away from home for the holidays.
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

These weather changes are supposed to be the new norm. We are in trouble if that is the case. Canadians are highly trained 1st world trained firefighters. There is a understanding globally among these groups that isn't well published, or covered.

I remember when the U.S. would dump grain into the Sea to keep the price of products that used grain, up! Meanwhile, all the people that were starving in the world, where that grain could have been given, starve. Imagine the goodwill that would have generated in countries that revile us now.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                      I don't post in the Vortex..
                      My bad, I've read some of your post on here and , I guess just like this thread where there is a difference of opinions...kinda reminds .e of vortex like material..sorry

Comment

What the procedure to dump like that LOL

Originally posted by bccap View Post

In the old days we used to ride the barges when they dumped just for giggles..... Can't get away with that now though. Transport Kanada would have a sh!tfit ........... The one below doesn't get airborne but sometimes they did when the fast dumped ......

Looked like an accident LOL crazy

What exactly would transport kanada have a fit about?
                        you mean you would ride side dumping barges like that one?
                        Last edited by trent; 06-12-2023, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                          No, he shouldn't. What part of the common human decency he pointed out are you missing?

The comments should never have been about barbecue sauce, however, but then, you knew that.
                          This is Vortex, is it not?...
                          Is vortex not where even you very often look for some excuse to bait and switch?

Back to the fire scene:

In Ontario, we are getting a huge natural assist, in the form of rain that will continue intermittently most of the week.
                          As long as it falls where most needed, rain will help to quell some of the fire, and for everywhere else it represents a huge benefit to millions of people in Canada and i n USA as it should knock down a lot of the smoke and particulates that have been causing visibility and breathing problems.
                          "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
                          Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post

This is Vortex, is it not?...
                            Is vortex not where even you very often look for some excuse to bait and switch?

Back to the fire scene:

In Ontario, we are getting a huge natural assist, in the form of rain that will continue intermittently most of the week.
                            As long as it falls where most needed, rain will help to quell some of the fire, and for everywhere else it represents a huge benefit to millions of people in Canada and i n USA as it should knock down a lot of the smoke and particulates that have been causing visibility and breathing problems.
                            I'm not one for bait and switch, Ron. I know you, too, have been called out for doing that in the Campfire. I may go where a thread leads, but I don't tend to go in for the gratuitous "Merika" humor many of my fellow citizens seem to enjoy.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

I think you would need another ship with a crane on it. This is way above my pay grade.

Comment

One of the dozer boats { those little ones } would take a deckhand out to each end of the barge. Each deckhand would open a valve to start the flooding procedure . In the old days we might stay on it during the dump and then close the valves once it was over ..... But if it fast dumps it is dangerous . One time one fast dumped and was airborne . When it came down on the side it had enough force to snap one of the cranes off the deck ..... Transport Kanada is pretty safety conscious in modern times and would never allow it in today's times .....
                                Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                                Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                                1983 GS 750

Comment

Working...
                                X