Old Friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Friends

Once a month or so I meet some guys I have known for over 50 years for Breakfast at a local Restaurant. Over the years between us we have survived multiple marriages and divorces, car wrecks, motorcycle wrecks, Cancer and other health scares but our conversations are usually dominated by the stupid crap we did as teenagers and survived to talk about.......:-)
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

It's funny, lol

I've noticed it with my friends, mostly low to mid thirties in age, and really notice it in older friends and Co workers....like you posted...multiple health scares, relationships , jobs....but most enjoyable conversations seem to go back to the teenage years..lol.

but I have heard plenty of divorce horror stories, like their trying to prove their Divorce the worst..lol...some young guys would probably never get married after hearing some of those..?

Kinda like a competition to prove who endured the most B.S and survived..LOL.

I like listening to the 60 and up guys talk about crazy stuff they did back in the day, sometimes its the partying they did, how much they did

i can those times are near and dear to them.
    Sometimes it's the stunts and pranks...it goes on and on..very entertaining though.

Comment

Recently I had dinner with 5 guys I've literally known all my life (66 years). We were all born on the same block in the same year. We have photos of us in nursery school. We gathered before the pandemic, but I have a feeling we'll be doing it every year now.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

One of the guys was talking about another guy who is not part of our group about to get married again. I said what is that, #4? He looked at me and said "Who the He!! am I to be throwing stones". I had forgotten about his last Marriage that lasted all of 60 days.........LOL
        Last edited by marvinsc; 08-05-2023, 11:40 PM.
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
          One of the guys was talking about another guy who is not part of our group about to get married again. I said what is that, #4? He looked at me and said "Who the He!! am I to be throwing stones". I had forgotten about his last Marriage that lasted all of 60 days.........LOL
          Co worker, 63 yrs..was telling me his story, met first wife in when they were in high school got married had two daughters.

Split up , got with his 2nd wife soon after and has three daughters with her....but he's also got a daughter same age as middle daughter with 2nd wife... with his first wife...LOL.

He had a way of telling that without saying he had been messing around with his first wife and had a daughter with her....while married to second wife who was also expecting at the same time
          ..after thinking about it..the daughters are only two weeks apart in age...lol went to same schools .

guy had no boys...just daughters...

I'm not doing the story any justice in humor category...the way the co worker told it we were all laughing...

Comment

I think exactly one person from high school has my number, and yep, whenever we talk there's little about current happenings and a lot about the dumb crap we did when we were young.

One of the things I love about motorcycle people is that many of us knew each other for years before the topic of work ever came up. I'm still proudly very hazy about what some good friends do, or used to do*, for a living.

(*If someone's retired, don't worry -- they'll inform you of that fact before they tell you their name. Although you might not ever get around to the boring topic of whatever they used to do for a living.)
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              Recently I had dinner with 5 guys I've literally known all my life (66 years). We were all born on the same block in the same year. We have photos of us in nursery school. We gathered before the pandemic, but I have a feeling we'll be doing it every year now.
              I didn't realize we're the same age. Great point of reference. I'm not stuck in the '70's, but I sure do remember getting away with a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post

I didn't realize we're the same age. Great point of reference. I'm not stuck in the '70's, but I sure do remember getting away with a lot more.
                Talk about getting away with stuff? Circa 1975, a group of us hit a few local hospitals roughly 12 nights in a row in "nitrous raids"! Many times were in my '68 Camaro. Know what a 5 foot metal canister sounds like falling onto a concrete loading dock? I do!
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I remember a friend filling a huge plastic garbage nag with nitrous. I took a big hit, and all I remember is being of the floor, and a big knot on my head. My "friend" said to me, "I'm sorry, it appears that I may have fallen onto you". He weighed about 300 lbs.. It was confirmed, I was standing there, feeling the effects of the nitrous, and this guy falls right into me, knocking me over. I didn't feel a thing.

I do remember, you could just pull of the road, make a circle of rocks, pitch your tent, and sleep, and nobody gave a hoot. Now, forgetabouit, they send in a Swat Team.

I was camping on the edge of this huge farm, and the farmer had given us permission a few years earlier. His one demand was to leave the place like we found it. It was funny because you would pick up the rocks, and see the carbon on one side. That's how much everyone respected this guy. He must have been 80 years old.

One evening, about 7 of us, with our bikes, nicely contained in our camping area were shocked when two State Police cars came up with the lights on, horns blaring, they jumped out of their cars, and started yelling all kinds of stuff at us. While they are doing this, I notice a guy standing in the shadows with a Pitchfork. It was the owner. I can't post the list of profanities this guy let out towards those police for disturbing his guests, on his land, and he ordered them off immediately. He came over to us and said, "I've lived here all my life, and during the depression we would let people stay on out land, and the cops would harass them, and my father would yell at the cops the same way. That farm had been in that family for many generations.

He passed away, and the new owners immediately put up a fence with no trespassing signs. That was done around 1981. An era had ended. There are only a few places that aren't campsites where you can stay a max of 3 days. I only know of 4 of them on the western side of the state.

Comment

Working...
                  X