First time tapping out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time tapping out

For all my life i have NEVER known to surrender or back down from a damned thing. Ill take an asz kicking rather than run. BUT this has got my body pretty beaten up and its just time to regroup, form an attack plan, execute and adapt as need be.
    Over the last ten years the onset of aches and pains in different joints have been popping up along with type 2 diabetes. But true to my nature ive refused all surgeries telling them ill come back when it gets so bad i would rather die than be in pain...well ive reached that intersection and am throwing in the man card.So let me lay out the list first....
    3 CYSTS ON LEFT KIDNEY
    SNAPPED BICEPS LONG HEAD TENDON IN LEFT ARM
    SPINAL STENOSIS
    5 KNOWM SPOTS OF CARPAL TUNNEL
    CATARACTS COMING ON
    TYPE 2 DIABETES
    2 BULDGING DISCS IN LUMBAR REGION LOWER BACK
    NEUROPOTHY IN TOES
    AND SEVERE ARTHRITIS IN LEFT HIP
    TORN AND SEPERATING CARTILIDGE LEFT HIP
    COMPLEX CYST IN LEFT HIP JOINT

So with this awesome collection of wear and tear of self abuse ive decided its time to TEMPORARILY tap out and start with the hip replacement. Im going Monday to get all my VA records and MRI films for the surgeon, my VA disability rep, and for filing SSI disability I will heal from the hip surgery and if all goes well with disability claims ill be retired and work on bikes as usual but not have that extra 40 hours for the man on top of everything else to deal with.
    To add some perspective as to how much pain im in heres the comparisson. You all know that if its not raining or 5 degrees out i will be on a bike. This year i have rode 3 times for a total of maybe 150 miles or so. I simply cant lift my left leg in any manner. So i dont ask for much but im asking that you all pray the surgery will go good and by some of gods grace i can make my blls while trying to get regrouped.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Prayers sent, Chuck. Be well.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Wow Chuck! Welcome to old age! S#cks! I live in pain. Even pain pills don't take much pain away, anymore.
      Sending prayers for a speedy recovery! (*My list is at least as long as yours,*)
      Pain lets us know we are alive (lol),,,
      I'm glad you decided to take care of yourself.
      I am scheduled for my first foot surgery on March 8th, if I don't chicken out again... Stay in Good Spirits... It helps to laugh.

Comment

Thinking you'll wind up like my neighbor, he put off knee surgery for several yrs. till got so bad he had to give in. Now he is disappointed...that he didn't do it several yrs. ago. Prayers head'in from here to Norman.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Well ya gotta know that getting old isn’t for whimps. As most of us old folks know.

V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Hell i will be over the moon if i can just walk regularly without pain and be able to lft my foot up to the foot pegs. Theres isnt much left of life if you cant ride. Just wenching and setting around sucks
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

chuck hahn - I'm 56 and have a terminal case of Lupus that plays with my staph infection and wreaks havoc on my body. I know your pain and walk with you... prayers sent and received.
              Current:
              1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
              1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
              1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
              1998 Chevy C2500
              1999 Rav4

Comment

Sorry to hear of these issues your having chuck, always admired your presence here.

Not sure of your age, but I do hang around a few guys over 55.

Several of them have a list of things and somehow keep on chugging along..hopefully you'll be just like that.

One guy got diabetes, disk degenerative thing, heart valve issues...some kind of skin thing....has to get shots in his eyes every month from diabetes affecting blood vessels in eyes or something???

Hang tough chuck,.
                Last edited by trent; 01-26-2024, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Yeah, hang in there Chuck.
                  If things get tough financially, let us know. Maybe we can start a "Go fund me" or something like that.
                  Or possibly a garage sale, but I know it would be hard selling your prized trinkets that you've collected over the years.
                  Keep us posted on how you're doing. ​​
                  My Motorcycles:
                  22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                  22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                  82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                  81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)
                  80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Best of luck getting things better sorted out and achieving a better QOL!

I know when I've been sidelined by injury, my online GSR family was vital to pulling through. Just yapping about motorcycles and life was super helpful when I was bored and in pain.

PM sent with contact info if you get bored...
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Good luck. My only advice is don't slack on the rehab. It can be a little painful but well worth the effort.
                      1982 GS 550 L

Comment

I prescribe motorcycles. Just thinking about them can raise your mood.

Best of luck.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Chuck,
                          My mother (85) lives with us. Before Dad passed, she had one knee replaced. Since moving in with us 13 years ago, she's had the other knee replaced and one hip. She's looking at probably having to have the other hip done w/in the next few years. We call her the bionic woman. The rehab on the hip was much quicker and less painful for her than either of the knees. I helped her with the home rehab between the bi-weekly sessions at the PT center. I think having someone at home to make sure you don't slack on those exercises is critical for a successful rehab from joint surgery - someone who's watched and paid attention to the PT's instructions, then make sure you do your home exercises with proper technique/# of reps, etc. Hopefully you've got someone there for you, or if not, you have the will to do what you're told by the PT.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Sorry to hear about that Chuck, hope you get well soon !!
                            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                            Bikecliff's website
                            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Tapping out is ok Chuck. All of us are or will be going down the same path.
                              1979 GS1000
                              1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

Working...
                              X