Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eclipse 2024

Eclipse April 8th 2024
    Do you have any specific plans for viewing the eclipse ?
    Being in Youngstown, Ohio we will be on the east side of totality.
    I have the day off work so I plan on traveling a little west to be in the center of totality.
    I'm hoping for a warm clear day. I'd like to ride my motorcycle. If not I'll take the truck.
    Amazon has some cool Eclipse merchandise. I picked up a tee shirt and some stickers to remember the day.
    It will be fun!
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

I'm still up in the air over this one, I'm in Florida and need to be in Indianapolis the last week of April and it's still could be a bit too early temperature wise to be there on the 8th. Am considering going to a known good campground just north of Paducah, KY which sits inside the totality zone, this would add a good many miles BUT I'd probably put in at least as many running around the smokies if I don't go there instead. In other words, ask me on the 7th!
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

35-40 miles to the sweet spot for me, hoping for good weather.
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I rode to southern Illinois for the eclipse in 2017. Great trip.
        This time home is almost center of totality path. We're hoping to have a little party. Maybe ride the bikes up to the top of the hill. I'm wondering if we might be able to see the shadow coming from up there.
        Anyway, be prepared for traffic in places you'd never expect it all that day.
        2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
        82 gs1100L probably the next project
        1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
        1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Don't forget eclipse glasses. They are on sale all over for $1. Worth it.
          2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
          82 gs1100L probably the next project
          1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
          1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

As a large city in the path of totality, hotels in Indy are maxed out for the weekend before and the date of the eclipse.

And so guess when my niece scheduled her wedding?

I'll be working that day, but there's a park nearby having an eclipse viewing event and so we'll take a break to gawk. We're hoping for clear weather!
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I work from home and will be doing so that day anyway so I’ll see the change through the window and keep working on
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I lived in path of totality of the last one, and remembering thinking how many years until this one...time Flies.

Thinking about taking the day off and driving east a couple hundred miles to check this one out....I'll do all that and it'll be cloudy...lol

It was fun the last time, people parked everywhere...I knew a high spot on country road that was perfect...the cows started moving like crazy during totality LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                  Don't forget eclipse glasses. They are on sale all over for $1. Worth it.
                  Last eclipse here, I just used my welding helmet.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Hey Marv, thinking Murry KY should have been appx. 35 to 40 mi. from total eclipse back in 2017, just in the opposite direction
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

A round hole punched into a piece of heavy paper sitting perpendicular to the direction of the sun will cast a shadow onto another piece of paper behind it making viewing quite safe, cheap and easy!
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                        Hey Marv, thinking Murry KY should have been appx. 35 to 40 mi. from total eclipse back in 2017, just in the opposite direction
                        Yes indeed, we watched from my Daughter's place at Smithland KY. Right in the center of the totality path.
                        Last edited by marvinsc; 03-25-2024, 09:22 AM.
                        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I'm right in the path of totality, but I've lived in the Cleveland area for over 50 years. Next week I start watching the weather and making my plans to go where the sun is visible. The odds of sunshine in Cleveland in early April pretty much suck.
                          JP
                          1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                          1992 Concours
                          2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                          2007 FJR

Comment

Total totality here where I'm at in Vermont too. Nice to not have to travel for this one. We just got smoked with a winter storm so I'm hoping winter will be shaken back off by that point.
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                            Originally posted by Hayabuser
                            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

LAB's paper trick works well and is safe. Don't even think of binoculars or telescopes no matter what filters they say they have. Side projection to a card with a stopped aperture is okay if you know what you are doing.
                              I have set my own hair on fire. I have eyepiece caps with holes melted in them. A retina will be gone before you know there is a problem. Even famous professional astronomers are not immune. You may have placed the telescope away from the Sun but the Earth is rotating and guess where it will bring the telescope to.
                              For me the most impressive thing about totality is what the birds do. Listen.
                              Last edited by Brendan W; 03-25-2024, 07:10 AM.
                              97 R1100R
                              Previous
                              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                              X