An unexpected trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An unexpected trade

My brother was recently sharing how much he likes my Beemer, which while a fine machine, does not see nearly as much riding as it deserves; so, I offered to give it to him as a combined retirement and birthday gift. He was pretty amazed at the gesture, but it was clear that he would accept the offer. I felt great about it and left the topic for some planning and logistics to come in the near future.

Two days later, he offers me his 2005 KLR650. I've wanted a dual-sport for quite awhile now, but didn't expect to be getting one just yet, as I am planning to sell the Sportster and buy an older Road King.

Of course I accepted his offer, and I've spent the past two days reacquainting myself with upgrade options and customization details of the Gen 1 KLR.

Serendipity is real.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Great bike, a good year model Gen 1 as well. I have a 2001 and a 2002. 01 set up for the street and the 02 for not street. If yours doesn't have an upgraded skid plate and crash bars get them if you plan to go off road at all. Most wait one several hundred dollar drop too long. If you go off road the odds are high you will have a drop or three.........
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I have a list of off-road upgrades, as this bike will see a good deal of forest road and jeep road riding.
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

I've been considering one. I try to like the V-stroms but just can't.
        1986 1150EF
        2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

I feel the same way. When I look at higher tech, more complicated dual-sports, inevitably I end up thinking, "what happens when I drop it?"
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

I've certainly looked over the dual sport offerings and have to admit that my GS450T with dual sport tires on it did everything I wanted off road. As mentioned, keep it simple!
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

After adding a bit of crash protection, I'll rework the suspension and front brake, add D606 tires and just enjoy the beast.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                After adding a bit of crash protection, I'll rework the suspension and front brake, add D606 tires and just enjoy the beast.
                Congrats Mason.....If I make a suggestion about tires....I use the 606s on my DR650 and they are great...but I will be going with a Pirelli MT21 up front next tire change....the mt21 is a better tire up front for handling and it's what is recommneded most on dual sport forums....cheers
                No signature

Comment

Awesome, Trev. I will add that to the list as I start buying things! Thank you, sir!
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Does it have the Doohickey upgrade?
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                      Does it have the Doohickey upgrade?
                      Yeppers. It was already done by the original owner.
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

I, for one, fully support and approve of this trade.

Honestly, dual-sporting and general bad-road-blatting-around on a KLR is ridiculous fun, and great for your overall skills.

And with all the armored bits (skid plate, crash bars and handguards, plus a few other odds and ends) KLRs can take more of a beating than the rider, that's for sure. The first-generation models (2007 and earlier) are definitely a bit more off-road worthy.

Also, the Eagle Mike big bore 685 kit is VERY worthwhile. No, it doesn't make the bike a wheelie monster or anything, but it does move it from "somewhat anemic" to "mostly adequate". The lighter piston really reduces vibration, the improved piston rings are a lot more durable long-term, and the added pop of torque makes the bike a lot more pleasant to ride and more capable off-pavement.

I'd also call the Thermo-Bob a mandatory upgrade as well for long-term durability.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

For the KLR ignorant among us, anyone care to clarify the "Thermo-Bob" or "Doohickey" upgrade?
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                            For the KLR ignorant among us, anyone care to clarify the "Thermo-Bob" or "Doohickey" upgrade?
                            The Thermo-Bob stabilizes coolant temperature more fully and at a higher temperature tan the stock cooling system

Both generations of the Kawasaki KLR 650 have had a serious issue with the counter-balancing chain adjustment mechanism, or as most call it, a “doohickey”. Basically the doohickey tensions the counter-balancing chain and this helps neutralize engine shake and vibration, which makes for a smoother running engine.
                            sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                            2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Thank you. Much appreciated.
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
                              X