An unexpected trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
    I, for one, fully support and approve of this trade.

Honestly, dual-sporting and general bad-road-blatting-around on a KLR is ridiculous fun, and great for your overall skills.

And with all the armored bits (skid plate, crash bars and handguards, plus a few other odds and ends) KLRs can take more of a beating than the rider, that's for sure. The first-generation models (2007 and earlier) are definitely a bit more off-road worthy.

Also, the Eagle Mike big bore 685 kit is VERY worthwhile. No, it doesn't make the bike a wheelie monster or anything, but it does move it from "somewhat anemic" to "mostly adequate". The lighter piston really reduces vibration, the improved piston rings are a lot more durable long-term, and the added pop of torque makes the bike a lot more pleasant to ride and more capable off-pavement.

I'd also call the Thermo-Bob a mandatory upgrade as well for long-term durability.
    I have a list of things to mod on the bike, and I'm sure it will only start there. I'm going to upgrade the suspension with Cogent stuff, upgrade the front brake to a larger rotor, an SV650 caliper and a braided line, and then do some comfort/control mods for now. I have definitely been eyeing that 685 (and the 719) kit. Performance wise, for now, since it is bone stock, I'll rejet it, do the airbox mod, and gut the exhaust internals (retaining the spark arrestor).
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Big Block View Post
      I've been considering one. I try to like the V-stroms but just can't.
      V-Strom's a great bike, if you're looking for a lighter weight sport-tourer. It's NOT any kind of dirt bike.
      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post

V-Strom's a great bike, if you're looking for a lighter weight sport-tourer. It's NOT any kind of dirt bike.
        Au contraire

My buddy's John and Dan chose V Storms to ride from Washington State to Tierra del Fuego and up to Buenos Aires.

Lots of dirt, salt, gravel, Bolivian death road, etc

Is it a great dirt bike? Nope, they chose it because it does everything well, but not great
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I think that is the forte of the KLR. It does everything well but is not the best in any area.
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
            My brother was recently sharing how much he likes my Beemer, which while a fine machine, does not see nearly as much riding as it deserves; so, I offered to give it to him as a combined retirement and birthday gift. He was pretty amazed at the gesture, but it was clear that he would accept the offer. I felt great about it and left the topic for some planning and logistics to come in the near future.

Two days later, he offers me his 2005 KLR650. I've wanted a dual-sport for quite awhile now, but didn't expect to be getting one just yet, as I am planning to sell the Sportster and buy an older Road King.

Of course I accepted his offer, and I've spent the past two days reacquainting myself with upgrade options and customization details of the Gen 1 KLR.

Serendipity is real.
            That's what brothers are for. When one of mine said, "Why don't you go to my Harley dealer and pick out a bike?" I said "Yes."
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

He's getting a mint R1100R and I know he will enjoy it. I didn't expect him to offer me the KLR, but I'm excited-very excited.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

From what I've seen most ADV bikes don't get used much beyond traveling down Forest Service roads. Sure, you've got SOME people who actually use them beyond that but when you walk up and talk to them then look at the condition of their back tire you find that an ordinary road bike with dual sport tires would suit their needs just fine. A VStrom with that sort of setup would be worth considering.
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

The OP appears to live in Arizona, so there's no lack of properly gnarly off-pavement adventure to be had in every direction.

Here in Indiana, we really have to work hard and poke into every crevice to find interesting off-pavement riding that's also legal. For example, there are state and Federal forest roads, but they're 99.9% closed -- and you are NOT allowed to go though the gates.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

If you want to find gravel roads, just follow Dave "Redman" and his GPS! HAHA
                    My Motorcycles:
                    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)
                    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                      From what I've seen most ADV bikes don't get used much beyond traveling down Forest Service roads. Sure, you've got SOME people who actually use them beyond that but when you walk up and talk to them then look at the condition of their back tire you find that an ordinary road bike with dual sport tires would suit their needs just fine. A VStrom with that sort of setup would be worth considering.
                      And then there are guys like me............

Mudbath by Scott Marvin, on Flickr
                      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Wringer, How do you say public property that the public isn't allowed to use... Just don't seem right. I live next door to a 10,000 acre state park that does the same thing. Perfect place for city dwellers with dirt bikes & 4 wheelers to ramble and nothing there to tare up, just rocky glades and cedar bushes.... Oh no $5,000 fine.
                        Last edited by rphillips; 05-07-2024, 02:07 PM.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

[QUOTE=bwringer;n1745146]The OP appears to live in Arizona

I believe the op now lives in Utah.
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

[QUOTE=alke46;n1745181]
                            Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            The OP appears to live in Arizona

I believe the op now lives in Utah.
                            New Mexico, actually, though I am in Arizona fairly regularly to see friends and relatives.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post

Au contraire

My buddy's John and Dan chose V Storms to ride from Washington State to Tierra del Fuego and up to Buenos Aires.

Lots of dirt, salt, gravel, Bolivian death road, etc

Is it a great dirt bike? Nope, they chose it because it does everything well, but not great
                              And I've have mine to Alaska. But any road that you can get a V-Strom down, you can do the same with any other "standard" bike of similar weight.

Don't get me wrong, I love mine and think it's one of the best bikes I've ever owned, but it ain't no dirt bike.
                              '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I'd venture to say that a well set up KLR650 can get one much further off road over various terrain than the VStrom.
                                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                                1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                                X