Near misses.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Near misses.........

I almost got taken out twice this morning, first by a pickup truck going way too fast for the rural road we met on and a mile or so later by a deer that crossed so close I almost could have smacked it's Butt. Took that as a sign to wrap up today's ride and try again another day.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Woah...........

Comment

That stuff scares me. Here in the city, too many four wheelers. Out in the country, too many four leggers. It's like somebody wants us dead!
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

A motorcyclists exposure to danger increases exponentially as they travel further and further south of the Mason-Dixon line. By the time you make it to Florida you must able to master the art of defensive driving or you perish!
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I was four or five cars behind one of those three wheel things ? Can't think of the name of it .

Anyway two lane hwy , hilly, drizzling morning , oncoming semi hit a deer and sent it into the path of the three wheeled thing.....and I didn't actually see him hit it but figured out what happened...

with no shoulder To pull onto
          Three wheel thing was going real slow and people passed him , few miles up was fuel station/truck stop and on ramp to I-70.

I pulled into gas station and the guy on three wheel thing pulled in and I heard him talking to a couple , he said semi hit the deer and threw it right in front of him...said deer was spinning on its side when he hit it.

no visible damage, but it was disgusting and you could already smell the deer stink.

said he was hoping to find a car wash very quickly, ?

Comment

Oh yeah, shouldn't it be called near hit, instead of misses ??lol

Comment

Originally posted by trent View Post
              Oh yeah, shouldn't it be called near hit, instead of misses ??lol
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Yesterday it was an idiot on a battery powered scooter. I don't think he would have fared well if we collided.

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Yeah, sounds like any Tuesday... the Stupid is strong everywhere.

I was once astonished when I had to dodge four whitetail deer on 79th street, right in the thick of Indianapolis. Just doesn't seem fair that the damn things are hunting me out in the countryside, and now they've invaded the city.

And the human ninja deer around here are their own interesting hazard. Late one night, my left handlebar end lightly brushed the clothing of a completely unseen person wearing all black and jaywalking across a busy city street far from any streetlights. I looked back in my mirror and could just about make out the outline of a black hoodie pulled over his head, black pants, black shoes, and black backpack.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Not life and death but... A story for those who know.

I finally finished my winter projects and headed out on Sunday. I got halfway to the twisties and noticed my brakes weren't as effective as usual. After a little probing, I decided the rear was almost completely ineffective. "Should I turn around. Nah. Traffic out here sure is annoying though. Let's take this little side road. That didn't work out. Let's turn around. Tricky without the rear brake. Why is my right leg so warm?" I had left off the oil filler cap again. My leg, the side of the bike, and the rear brake were soaked with oil. Yeah, OK. I'd better turn around. I got to thinking on the way back. Is that sink stopper in my tank bag? Oh yeah, the chain!

I headed home anyway, searching for a coin-op car wash. Those things are getting rare!
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                      Not life and death but... A story for those who know.

I finally finished my winter projects and headed out on Sunday. I got halfway to the twisties and noticed my brakes weren't as effective as usual. After a little probing, I decided the rear was almost completely ineffective. "Should I turn around. Nah. Traffic out here sure is annoying though. Let's take this little side road. That didn't work out. Let's turn around. Tricky without the rear brake. Why is my right leg so warm?" I had left off the oil filler cap again. My leg, the side of the bike, and the rear brake were soaked with oil. Yeah, OK. I'd better turn around. I got to thinking on the way back. Is that sink stopper in my tank bag? Oh yeah, the chain!

I headed home anyway, searching for a coin-op car wash. Those things are getting rare!
                      Been there, done that! The Sherriff gave me a ride home to retrieve the oil cap. LOL

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Working...
                      X