Influencing the grandkids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
    .................. he started laughing hysterically. .......
    Interesting story. I can hear it now:

A tree .... tree in the house .... need a ladder to get to the top ....

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Our daughter on the left, 7 months old, 1983
      Same daughter on the right, 400+ months old, with her daughter, 7 months old, a couple days ago.

Same Toy.
      In house she grew up in.

Our son-in-law really made notice of this, I can say it "gave him pause".
      (his history is moving through multiple "blended family" situations and many moves)

Last edited by Redman; 12-24-2018, 06:49 PM. Reason: 1983 not 93, scheeasch, can be off by 10 years these days.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

IMG_4185 by Scott Marvin, on Flickr I managed to get out from behind the camera for one pic during our Christmas Celebration last night.
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

7 year old grandkid already finding things to do with his friends rather than boring ol' Papa & Mimi.

But 4 year old had a fun evening and day with Papa & Mimi (so thier mom & dad could have a party).

Here we are doing puzzles.

A four puzzle evening. Yah, doing something physical with her hands.
          SHe can do these 24 piece puzzles pretty much by herself.
          Mimi was trying to direct her to do the outside border first, but the 4 year old says "No, Mom says not suppose to do the border first, are suppose to separate the pieces by color."
          Mimi says "Well, at Mimi's house we can do it how ever we want."

THese kids are great. THier parents have done well.
          About a year ago it was a fight to get them away from the tablet or computer for anything. Could announce a time countdown and would still be a screaming crying struggle battle. BUt is something the parents have worked on. Now the kids ask for "watch a show" or "play a game" (which means tablet time) and they themselves set a timer (20 minutes) on the tablet. WHen the timer goes off, they set down the tablet in about 5 seconds, and go find a toy or legos or something to play with.

We had out potatoe chips and sliced cantaloupe melon, and she at so much melon that it caused me concern for the next day. And she saw a green pepper on the counter and asked if she could have some of that too.

ANd fun at community playground. New playground with stuff like merry-go round that has some dampening on so cant go fast and railing and gates so cant fall off out, and is built into ground so cant fall off anyway (and I suppose so dont have to step up to get on it).

Municipal ski slope in background.

Was going to go out on the pier too, but the Mimi was getting cold.
          Last edited by Redman; 01-02-2019, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Story:

I sliced up half a cantaloupe melon.
            Over the afternoon, The 4 year old ate all of it except two half slices.
            I said: Hey, Zozo, there are only these two little pieces left. WHen your mom and dad and brother get here for dinner there will be six people here, but we only have two pieces of cantaloupe.
            She looks for a while and says: Cut this one into 3 pieces, and cut that one into in 3 pieces.

I thought was pretty good for a 4 year old, not just the math skills and the logic, but that she knew I was joking and gave me a joke in response.

Last edited by Redman; 01-05-2019, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              Story:

I sliced up half a cantaloupe melon.
              Over the afternoon, The 4 year old ate all of it except two half slices.
              I said: Hey, Zozo, there are only these two little pieces left. WHen your mom and dad and brother get there for dinner there will be six people here, but we only have two pieces of cantaloupe.
              She looks for a while and says: Cut this one into 3 pieces, and cut that one into in 3 pieces.

Children of age 4-6 have probably the most active minds they will ever have. They are constantly searching for information and have an almost overwhelming desire to learn, but are now equipped with sufficient vocabulary to express themselves.

They often ask questions that are not only intelligent, but questions that have so much depth that they can force you to put aside other activities in order to move your own brain into deeper thought on how to reply.

Far too many adults willingly ignore them, even speak down to them, with the dismissive attitude of: "They are just children". Such adults are almost always wrong.
              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                Children of age 4-6 have probably the most active minds they will ever have. They are constantly searching for information and have an almost overwhelming desire to learn, but are now equipped with sufficient vocabulary to express themselves.

They often ask questions that are not only intelligent, but questions that have so much depth that they can force you to put aside other activities in order to move your own brain into deeper thought on how to reply.

Far too many adults willingly ignore them, even speak down to them, with the dismissive attitude of: "They are just children". Such adults are almost always wrong.
                My daughter taught me soon after she started walking, that you should never understimate what children can understand. Last July she received a Phd in English Literature. My Wife coined the phrase that she "birthed a Phd". May I introduce Dr. G,

(my grandchild of sorts?)

Last edited by Charlie G; 01-04-2019, 12:04 PM.
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Congrats! You did good!
                  sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                  2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Awwwww!!!

Congrats to you and your family Charlie. I can say first hand, we learn quite a bit from our children who eventually turn into adults.

Our eldest got her Bachelor's Degree in European History in 2018...she wants to be a museum curator.

Ed
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Just catching up on this. Great stories and pictures.
                      And Charlie, congratulations on your daughters PhD.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                        My daughter ......received a Phd in English Literature. ...............
                        Congratulations.

Hum... if you wonder what life with you and her and subsequent grandkids might be like:

My daughter-in-law has an education degree in child development and a masters in speech and language pathology (what used to be called speech therapy) (not that I am equating that to a Phd).
                        When our grandson was 2 or so, just starting to talk, we were all going for a walk, grandson in stroller. A small airplane went over but was a cloudy day.
                        Me: Hey, Bud, Did you see the airplane?
                        Two year old grandson Bud: No, I did not see it, but I heard it.
                        Me to his mom: Did you hear that? Bud said a complete sentence.
                        His mom: Yes, and he used inverted logic, and he used the correct tense of an irregular verb.
                        Me: Huh? Er, Ahhh.... Whhhaaaaat?

Last edited by Redman; 01-05-2019, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Happy Kids.
                          Silly Papa.

Comment

Currently awaiting the birth of our 7th grandchild. My daughter in law went into labor around 11pm last night. She walked around the hospital for an hour trying to get things moving along. Didn't work so they're managing her pain level and waiting.... She's already overdue so they're wanting the baby to be born, possibly avoiding other problems.

I brought a thermos of coffee that lasted till sun up, then made a breakfast burrito run, refilled the thermos and came back to the hospital. Any time now we'll hear baby Gideon crying.
                            Roger

Current rides
                            1983 GS 850G
                            2003 FJR 1300A
                            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Four year old (5 in May) read us an entire story out of this book.

Well, I could not really tell what all was reading and what was reciting from memory. But she was having great fun making jesters and sound effects andfunny comments.

Comment

Some guy time with youngest grandson.

V
                                Gustov
                                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                                81 GS 1000 G
                                79 GS 850 G
                                81 GS 850 L
                                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                                80 GS 550 L
                                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                                2002 Honda 919