Pic of the week game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
    .........It's somewhat of a fine line between the picture looking real and overly edited though.

I'd better leave well enough alone...
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Soooooo. I kind of got carried away with photo editing... hopefully everyone is OK with it..... .

http://Dave’s bike by Glen Brenner, .
      Wow, what an improvement for the overall general appeal of the photo.
      Although looks less like dusk (low light) situation.

No offence. I can fully understand you doing that as a personal challenge, something of your hobby fun.

Say, if you want a photo editing challenge: Take out the chain link fence that is behind the bike. I have taken out the fence's posts and the the top rail (using the clone brush tool of Paint dot Net).

In fact, when I posed the pic I had to limit my position such that the fence top rail was not in front of the water because I knew that would be difficult to edit out, so I kept the top rail in the dune grass as much as I could. Off to the left, the fence top rail did go over the river channel some, but I covered it with dune grass anyway.

Maybe I should not be divulging this. Might make all my pictures suspect har har har

Interesting that I dont mess with the color-brightness. TO me that should be done at the time the exposure is make, that is photography. If edit the color-brightness later, that is not photography skill, that is photoediting-computer-software skill.
      But yet, I do not hesitate much to use photo editing skills to, say, remove some distracting thing like a trash can or a utility pole guy wire that there was no way to avoid when posing the photo.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Friday Morning.

Let me compile the entries (without the other conversations).

Originally posted by trevor View Post
        How about a pic at "dusk"....

And the other entries.

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
        Originally posted by Sandy View Post

Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Flickr

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
        Flickr

Originally posted by gustovh View Post

Originally posted by Redman View Post

....more
        Last edited by Redman; 10-26-2018, 07:11 AM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

And more .......

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
          Originally posted by Spyder View Post

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post

r
          Originally posted by Steve View Post

Last edited by Redman; 10-26-2018, 07:14 AM. Reason: rescue Norms pic

Comment

Interesting that I dont mess with the color-brightness. TO me that should be done at the time the exposure is make, that is photography. If edit the color-brightness later, that is not photography skill, that is photoediting-computer-software skill.
            But yet, I do not hesitate much to use photo editing skills to, say, remove some distracting thing like a trash can or a utility pole guy wire that there was no way to avoid when posing the photo.
            Interesting thoughts, Dave.

I find the two are so intertwined as to be part of the same.

The difficulty is that our eyes are so much better at seeing a wide range of light and color, than our camera sensors, or film. So photography becomes a way to convey the beauty our eyes see, in a medium that can't show it. In the past with film, they did similar tricks in the dark room, which I am sure you know, to light, or darken, parts or all of the photo.

Now we do it digitally. But when taking a picture, you sometimes have to work with less than ideal light, knowing you can fix something later.
            Highlights that are overexposed are hard to fix, but blacks that are underexposed can often be fixed. So, when trying to get the widest range of color and light, (gamut), I try for the darker side....

Sometimes it is best to take two or more images. One exposed for the sky, and one exposed for the foreground, and then you combine them to increase your range of light.

The one thing that is very hard to fix is bad composition. Sometimes you can save it with a crop, but not always.

I may try to remove your fence over the weekend, but I think it is beyond my talent level.

Hey, is it voting day?
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

No offence. I can fully understand you doing that as a personal challenge, something of your hobby fun.

Say, if you want a photo editing challenge: Take out the chain link fence that is behind the bike.
              Maybe we need a new game. One of the games they play on a photography site I frequent, involves this. Someone post a photo, often with issues, and challenge is to see who can make the most of it.

LOL....Like I need another game....

Comment

I didn't notice the fence until later on. As far the as post editing comment, that's exactly what they harped on in school. Get it correct at the time of expossure. They didn't even want us to crop pictures at the time of printing - again, set the scene during exposure.
                Playing with your pic was interesting as its nearly two different parts. Bright bold colors, and very minimal color.

Dusk shots with a lot of foreground have always been tough for me to get right with the big differences in lighting.
                I've yet to try a program that allows editing out of parts of the scene. This was just playing with color levels, etc on the phone.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I'll vote for Sandy's picture
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Maybe we need a new game. One of the games they play on a photography site I frequent, involves this. Someone post a photo, often with issues, and challenge is to see who can make the most of it.

LOL....Like I need another game....
                    I remember you mentioning that in the past.
                    And as far as darkroom work, I spent a lot of time dodging and burning....
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Voting for Gustovh this week. Such a wonderful yet simple shot.
                      sigpic

Glen
                      -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Trevor's pic says "dusk". I mean, if you were to show that to someone with no introduction, they would describe it as "dusk". I like the way the mountainous horzon is backlit by the dusk, and the water below rfelects the remaining light of the sky, and the way the town lights are visible, and of course the bike guages and headlight. Is a great picture for any category it fits, a great picture in general. A great scene at about any time. And great photo of dusk, and more than one element of dusk.
                        Like I said before, when I first saw Trev's pic, I was so impressed that I almost didn't want to bother looking thru all my sunset pics to see if I had any dusk pics.

Gustov and Sandy are quite appealing.
                        All the pics that have color in the sky, if it is actually dusk (like mine), or if it is actually sunset (many), or if cant really tell (some)... if you were to show them to someone without introduction, they would most likely say "sunset".

So I will vote for Trevor, with mine being a distant second.
                        Last edited by Redman; 10-26-2018, 07:45 AM.

Comment

I had thought of that. But then think, "well, that would be a photo editing site, not a motorcycle forum."

So, ah, let me know, what photography site is that you mention...?

Comment

Ah....I believe I have to give artistic merit more importance than exactly meeting the theme...

So my vote is for Burque73

Beautiful shot....

Comment

So, ah, let me know, what photography site is that you mention...?
                              There is a lot of them, but only a couple I frequent.

One is format orientated towards the Micro Four Thirds line of products: https://www.mu-43.com/forums/

The other is chock full of professionals and really good amateurs. I mostly just be quiet and listen: https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php

Comment

STEVE MURDOCH gets my vote. Nice picture Steve, I love them spoked wheels on your CBX 👍
                                My Motorcycles:
                                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                                79 1000e (all original)
                                82 850g (all original)
                                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                                X