Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
    Not many roads with my name on it!
    I have one of those. Had to point camera UP, so bike is not in it, therefore it will never qualify for this thread.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      ...not all of us have the desire/ability to be proficient at photography, can afford $1,000 cameras...
      In all reality, let's not make this some elitist only event. Rather, just enjoy what everyone brings to the table.
      You are correct, Cowboy....It's not the arrow, it's the Indian...(is that OK to say?)
      I know I like to get geeky with camera talk, 'cause I am a geek, but a good camera is not necessary for good pics.
      You have the right attitude, "Don't get hung up on gear, just have fun..."

Just always take a lot of pictures, we only get better with practice.
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I am curious about something here though. Why do people think the cell phone camera, which honestly has improved over the years, doesn't take great pictures? I don't see the problem, except for maybe a zoom limitation, so what am I missing? I will admit that my nature overtaking picture was bad mostly because it was taken through a windshield instead of stopping. So in that sense, the way the picture was taken (the wife just wanted a shot of the bridge) was the reason but not the camera itself.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
          Lets not turn this into a "tag" game again please..it's about photography..........
          Short version: I share that concern. But enjoy the pictures anyway. (but do consider that in the voting).

More:

Yah, some subject-theme-catagory can be more like that.

But, then again, the bigger factor is what picture folk have.

Other thing is if people vote for the biggest ball-of-string ......or...... the best picture of a ball-of-string.

Problem is that when took the picture of bike & ball-of-string, most folks will do that just as they saw it. Us weirdo folks here will want to get our bike in the photo, and probably just do it in some documentary fashion, here is bike and the ball-of-string. But now that we are involved in this game more, I think, more of us will now be trying for a more interesting picture.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I am curious about something here though. Why do people think the cell phone camera, which honestly has improved over the years, doesn't take great pictures? I don't see the problem, except for maybe a zoom limitation, so what am I missing? I will admit that my nature overtaking picture was bad mostly because it was taken through a windshield instead of stopping. So in that sense, the way the picture was taken (the wife just wanted a shot of the bridge) was the reason but not the camera itself.
            Cell phones take great pictures, and I don't think anyone said they didn't. And for most people it does what they need, which is to record family history.
            But, there are some professionals that have done great work with cell phones, amazing work. And, there are also professionals that did great work with low cost, point and shoot, cameras.

However, a good photographer will do better with a real camera, because you will always be limited by the phone's size.
            It is all about light. The front glass on my 25mm lens for my small camera is 30mm in diameter, my phone lens is what? 3-4mm?
            Less light, less options.

And, although it may not seem like much. Being able to hold a camera, with the controls where they should be, is sooooooooo much better than using a phone.
            'course I am lazy...

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              But now that we are involved in this game more, I think, more of us will now be trying for a more interesting picture.
              I do believe that has already started...LOL...

Comment

Another perspective. For example, take my flag picture. It wasn't the best photo, a little tilted, off center... But I nailed the subject theme. That's another way to win picture of the week. It also helped there wasn't a lot of entries for that week.🌞
                My Motorcycles:
                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)
                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                  ...I'm sure I will look like I'm being the dick again..

If that's a genuine concern there is a simple solution. Take the best pictures you can according to your own standards, select one and submit it as your entry. If the group thinks it is the best of the bunch, at that point you will win the privilege of directing the next challenge. Easy. No pushback, no eye rolls, no drama.
                  1979 GS1000
                  1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

I have recently been using my daughter's digital SLR (a Canon digital Rebel something or other, I don't know the numbers) and though I'm sure I barely scratch the surface of its potential, I notice I take better pictures with it than with my phone.
                    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Some of you are pretty outspoken and that's great. If a picture can say a thousand words, I'd much rather just post a picture.

EDIT: Here's my re-submission for the week. I just like this one better. The sign isn't as interesting but the pic is one of my faves with a street sign in it.

I sure enjoy seeing this game evolve and hope we all enjoy it for a long time.
                      Last edited by Burque73; 12-03-2018, 06:00 PM.
                      Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      2003 FJR 1300A
                      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                        Dang it Frank...I need a "like" button...

Comment

As mentioned by Bob, cellphones can take great pictures. Look at Trevor's cellphone photos for example. It's usually the people with the cellphones that take the crappy pictures. LOL. And they don't have to be that new either. Mines a older Samsung S4 and it does pretty good. However, they do have some limitations such lack of zooming, no control over depth of field and may or may not have good in phone processing of the jpg files. You just have to work around those limitations and use the phone for what it will do. One often overlooked feature most people don't even know about is the HDR feature, if the lighting is a little weird use it. The following photo was taken with my S4 this spring because I just went for a short walk and didn't have a real camera with me ...silly me. The picture is kind of postcardy and if I had my real camera I would have used it's depth of field capability to blur the background slightly and would have zoomed in a bit in camera, this photo was actually cropped and colour balanced a bit post shooting.

by soates50, on Flickr
                          Last edited by Sandy; 12-03-2018, 06:03 PM.
                          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                            Some of you are pretty outspoken and that's great. If a picture can say a thousand words, I'd much rather just post a picture.

My submission for the week.

Yeah. I also like seeing people's camera, or should I say photo, skills improving as well.
                            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I am the average guy with a camera, point and shoot. I do try and take pictures that do look good, but most are for memories. My submission this week does just that for me. The picture brings back memories of one of the best rides that I have ever had. 8 days total, 6 riding and all but one night hot springing. I'm riding with 2 guys that I care about with good riding skills, heck on the 4th. day we did 134 miles in 77 min. from Stanley Id. to Salmon Id. So I post it in hopes that those that see it get just a little feeling of the trip and it's joys.

My advice is just relax and enjoy what is posted, the game will evolve as necessary. Just my 2 cents.

V
                              Gustov
                              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                              81 GS 1000 G
                              79 GS 850 G
                              81 GS 850 L
                              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                              80 GS 550 L
                              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                              2002 Honda 919
                              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

<< I found another, and pthbhbhbh, its gone >>

Last edited by Redman; 12-06-2018, 08:56 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                                X