No announcement yet.

Pic of the week game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"something fairly close to home that shows a bit of the personality of where you live"

This snapshot shows the gently rolling parkland of this part of rural Saskatchewan. The valley of the North Sk. river is in the distance. It has the character of this area - long views and big sky.
    What also shows by its absence is the depopulation of the countryside. The drift from rural to urban began in the depression years of the 1930s and has continued with the corporatization of agriculture. Every quarter or half section once had a family living on it, now most smaller towns, villages and hamlets have withered or vanished. Occupied farmhouses are few and far between. Some paved 2 lane roads have been converted back to gravel, most of the rest are deteriorating. Motorcycle riding through the vast distances, for this 60 something guy, is slower, relaxed and contemplative.
    1979 GS1000
    1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2dye1jm]

The Shasta valley, disected by Interstate 5, surrounded by mountians and home of forest and cattle alike
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I have so many pics to choose from that I think say "home" but I decided this was the one...taken in my sanctuary, my garage the night before going on one of my Gold River Rallies...
        Motorcycles have brought me a lot joy but the best part is the friendships I have made.

Making memories...

No signature

Comment

So y'all know I'm a pastor. You may not know how much I love tending the sign in front of the church. You pretty much can't get downtown Barboursville without passing my church and its sign. Until recently it was the kind of sign you changed the letters manually, but that one got hit by a car, and now we have this digital LED sign, and I program something like six to ten messages to alternate throughout the day. Since we're at the entrance to town, one of the messages is ALWAYS "Welcome to Barboursville." (and you can see the opposite side of the sign reflected in the nearby store window)

My church is across the street from a grassy park, maybe four acres or so? There's a fountain (it's where the Christmas tree is now, just out of view on the left) and another water feature, and a gazebo, and during December there are poinsettia like lights over the main drag.

"I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Eastern Tennessee is about rivers, lakes, mountains, valleys, and the Tennessee Valley Authority.
            The Norris Dam is the first dam built by the TVA. Started in '33, and finished in '36.
            265 ft high, and 1860 ft long over the Clinch River. Norris lake behind it is 73 miles long, has 33,800 acres of surface area, and over 800 miles of shoreline.
            It is surround by several parks, and was the start of the Tennessee State Park System.
            Just about 40 minutes from our house. State highway 441 passes over the dam on the way to Rocky Top.

Last edited by Baatfam; 12-19-2018, 03:51 PM.
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Is Rocky Top the town formerly known as Lake City or Lakeland? Pretty close to he Devils Triangle
              sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
              2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                Is Rocky Top the town formerly known as Lake City or Lakeland? Pretty close to he Devils Triangle
                Not sure about the old name, but yes, 441 from my house, over the dam to Rocky Top, cross I-75 and you are at 116 about 10 miles from the triangle.
                Maybe 40 miles from my house.

Now that Brushy prison is open for tours, and sells lunch, it will likely be on my list for next year.

Comment

Farms & Mountains as far as the eye can see

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 12-20-2018, 08:52 PM.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

As noted in my location, I'm not particularly fond of the town I live in..... there's also a bit of "love to hate it" going on as well...
                    Tony's Diner, however is one of my favorite things about town. Old school, and still has working neon, and is mostly original inside as well.
                    Time isn't on my side this week. They are only open late (ish) Wednesday thru Saturday. I got stuck on a late call at work this evening, and it's supposed to rain like crazy tomorrow, so likely no neon joy....
                    http://Diner by Glen Brenner, on Flickr

Lit up, but no bike...
                    http://Diner by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Hi Guys

Not meaning to gate crash this thread at all, but I really enjoy seeing the photos of objects and places in your country, so I thought I would share a photo I took today near the area I live. My apologies that it is not the best quality photo (just quickly snapped with my cellphone while on a last-minute Xmas shopping run).

This is the iconic "Table Mountain" and "Lions Head" that towers above the city of Cape Town, about 80 km from my home town of Wellington. The sandy foreground area is about 10 km from the coastline of Table Bay, and is being prepared for new commercial buildings.

Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a wonderful, safe 2019 to you all.

Kind regards from South Africa
                      2BRacing

1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Welcome to the game, 2BR.....

Comment

2BRacing, the problem with entering a photo is that you might win and have to choose next weeks topic. Love the shot!
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g
                          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
                            Not meaning to gate crash this thread at all, ................................. I thought I would share a photo I took today
                            Please.
                            Thank You Ben !

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                              Welcome to the game, 2BR.....
                              Thank you, but I just dropped in to share that photo, which is actually the first photo I have of my bike and Table Mountain, although I have lived in the area forever!

This was not an "official" entry into your game, because I know that I will not be able to contribute on a weekly basis due to work pressure. I just enjoy seeing everyone's photo's!
                              1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
                                Thank you, but I just dropped in to share that photo, which is actually the first photo I have of my bike and Table Mountain, although I have lived in the area forever!

This was not an "official" entry into your game, because I know that I will not be able to contribute on a weekly basis due to work pressure. I just enjoy seeing everyone's photo's!
                                I think that is a picture very worthy of entry. I will let the other players have there say, but I think you are entered, sorry. LOL...

Don't worry, if you win, all you have to do is pick the new theme. If you can't do that, the runner up will assume the duty.
                                Last edited by Baatfam; 12-20-2018, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X