No announcement yet.

Pic of the week game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for being agreeable, Mr Justin Jedz.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

///////////QUOTE
      So the theme for this week is "Big Sky". Lets see your most dramatic clouds, sunsets, sunrises, storms, whatever.
      //////////////ENDQUOTEE

Have many sunset pics, but I think when look at those, they dont say "big sky" as much as a picture that has big clouds.

On that day the clouds looked really big. Took me a while to realize they were quite low.

THis picture from a parking lot of an apartment complex near the river, where the river breaks into multiple channels and has a big island (nature preserve) in the middle, so provides a wide expanse view without obstruction nor distractions. I pull into that parking lot on occasion when is an interesting sky off to the east, to see if can find a place to pose picture without cars, and found such on this occasion.

Stopped in there recently. Are now big obtrusive signs about Private Property, residents only, visitor park out on street.

>>> went out on photo expedition this morning, looking for a cloud-sky picture ....... but clouds didnt really cooperate.
      P1050835 by Dave Redman, on Flickr
      So, I will stay with the original submission.

Did have another opportunity for a ride this evening

Naw, I'll stay with the first pic.
      Last edited by Redman; 10-24-2019, 10:03 PM. Reason: nutther pic

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

IMG_2373 by Scott Marvin, on Flickr
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post

So the theme for this week is "Big Sky". Lets see your most dramatic clouds, sunsets, sunrises, storms, whatever.

I was torn between a literal interpretation of this, as in a pano shot with lots of sky and clouds or the description "dramatic clouds". I chose the latter.

I like trying to catch lightning, but this looks more like an electrical explosion in the sky. This was from a couple of months ago during the monsoon season.

Last edited by Burque73; 10-22-2019, 03:58 PM.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

On my way home from Vegas I made a detour to the Bonneville Salt Flats ...no one else was there...

No signature

Comment

The week is off to a good start. I’ll have to make due with medium / small sky.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                The week is off to a good start. I’ll have to make due with medium / small sky.
                I hear ya! Wow! What a bunch of great photos so far.
                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                  82 gs1100L probably the next project
                  1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                  1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Heres my medium sky with minimal clouds... I did have some sunsets, but I'll save them for another day.
                    Color is edited a to make it pop a bit.

http://Suzuki by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
                    Last edited by dorkburger; 10-22-2019, 05:41 PM.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

I went to edit the text in my post for this week's entry and noticed a bizarre effect. On my phone and desktop, the pic looks the same. On my laptop, if I tip the screen and look at an angle the light in the sky gets more defined and the bike looks like a negative, or in the other direction the bike is bright and clear but the background just looks cloudy with no defined light in the clouds.
                      Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      2003 FJR 1300A
                      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                        I............. noticed a bizarre effect. ...............On my laptop, ..............
                        I dont notice any such effect on laptop screen. Bike is illuminated enough to discern components, sky has some color at the horizon, clouds are somewhat defined.
                        Lightning bolt (if that is what it is, I was going to ask) seems to be a big blob, but that seems consistent with what you described originally.

You have posted other pics where you captured lighting bolts. Impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                          I dont notice any such effect on laptop screen. Bike is illuminated enough to discern components, sky has some color at the horizon, clouds are somewhat defined.
                          Lightning bolt (if that is what it is, I was going to ask) seems to be a big blob, but that seems consistent with what you described originally.

You have posted other pics where you captured lighting bolts. Impressive.
                          Guess I just have a cheap screen on my laptop. Yeah, another split second may have had a really defined lightning bolt not a blob lol, but I like it anyway.

Incidentally, sometimes I have a hard time choosing which photo to vote for depending on which screen I'm using at the moment. I may check the phone early am and sort of pick a photo then see the desktop later and change my mind.
                          Roger

Current rides
                          1983 GS 850G
                          2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Interesting you mention that. I have gone through my own pics on my phone and done minor editing ( usually lightening yet another sketchy low light pic), only to find them with a far different look later on. I’m assuming it’s from screen brightness, or lack thereof at the time of editing. I was also confused for a while about how colors were off. I realized that it was from my phone being in night mode and shifting to red while editing, making them look harsh when viewed later lacking the warmth of the added red.

my old ish work laptop has the same negative effect that you mentioned.
                            sigpic

Glen
                            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

The screen changes due to viewing angle are caused by the screen architecture.

If it's a bit older (like mine), your laptop is likely a back-lit LCD screen. Your phone and/or tablet are likely LED. The LCD screen basically filters light coming from behind it, so viewing angle can make a difference. The LED screen is basically just an incredibly tight array of tiny little lights, so what you see is what's really there.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                                Interesting you mention that. I have gone through my own pics on my phone and done minor editing ( usually lightening yet another sketchy low light pic), only to find them with a far different look later on.
                                That's why all my photos are developed on a desktop, in a room with controlled light, using twin Dell U2415s, which are calibrated monthly.

Of course it doesn't really matter, because most folks look at my pictures on a phone, tablet, cheap laptop, or un-calibrated monitor. LOL....
                                But it is important when printing.
                                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
                                X