Pic of the week game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
    Last fall ride through a large pecan orchard.
    Certainly that can't qualify.

I mean, ... LOOK. There's a car in the picture. How "lonely" can it be???

Welcome, Mr. Bill.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Certainly that can't qualify.

I mean, ... LOOK. There's a car in the picture. How "lonely" can it be???

Welcome, Mr. Bill.

Not just ONE car either but TWO
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Certainly that can't qualify...........
        Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Not just ONE car either but TWO
        I am not King Of P O W, but lets see,
        Well, there is a bike, and there is a road.
        So, I would say: It qualifies basically. (Even if it did not, there is no mechanism/procedure to disqualify/remove it.)

How much of a "Lonely Road", and how good of a picture, well, that is up to the discretion of the voters.

Last edited by Redman; 04-19-2018, 08:40 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Saturday. Vote Day. This week is "Lonely Road"

Entries are scattered over a few pages, with discussion inbetween.
          So let me gather them up here (In same order as they were posted) for review.

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          Lonely Road. Doesn't have to be a dirt road, just some place that looks like not much activity, but yet a road.

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
          Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
          Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
          [IMG]
          Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
          Originally posted by trevor View Post
          Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          more..............
          Last edited by Redman; 04-20-2018, 06:10 AM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

and the other 8 for a total of 16

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
            Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post
            Originally posted by MechMessiah View Post
            Originally posted by Sandy View Post

Originally posted by old_skool View Post

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
            Originally posted by gustovh View Post
            Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
            If I missed any photo submission, it was inadvertent. Let me know. (Deleting the comments - that was intentional.)
            Last edited by Redman; 04-20-2018, 06:24 AM. Reason: added 2 I missed.

Comment

I'll throw my vote in for Sandy's.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

My vote goes to Jedz123
                like the composition of the photo.
                The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                past bikes. RF900
                TL1000s
                Hayabusa
                gsx 750f x2
                197cc Francis Barnett
                various British nails

Comment

Definitely a tough one this week.....
                  I'm voting for Jedz also. Love the low camera angle on the muddy road. The dull muted colors definitely scream lonely road.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Man, this one was a tough one. Several photos I really liked.

My vote goes to Lurch.
                    The composition works well, minimizing the bike, and making the picture more about the road, (others did this as well). But what put it over the top for me, was the fall colors.
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Feels weird to do but I think my photo fits the bill this week. It was indeed a lonely road out there. Nobody else in sight, just wild horses running around in herds.

So many great photos to choose from this week. You guys are making this a really fun thing.
                      Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      2003 FJR 1300A
                      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I vote for BURQUE 73 Not only is it a lonely Road, but a lonely dirt road. 👍
                        My Motorcycles:
                        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                        79 1000e (all original)
                        82 850g (all original)
                        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I'm voting for MechMesiah with Burque in an almost tie. Composition wise I think Burque is a classical western approach. The red bike really pops and welcomes the viewer into the picture as a lovely lady in a red velvet evening dress would invite a man to her side. That's the problem I want to be in the picture adoring the landscape sitting on the bike. Mech's is abandoned, denuded trees with an uninteresting road. Everything is lonely in Mech's, the trees, road, bike and myself viewing. For the feeling it's MechMesiah . Fastbysuziki would be third cuz I feel the mist in those hills(but there are 2 bikes?!). Cheers cg
                          Last edited by Charlie G; 04-20-2018, 12:17 PM.
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g
                          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Too many to comment on them all .

Roger certainly portrays an incredibly lonely road, but it's not inviting me there to go check it out.

I think my vote this week is for Lurch.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Again, Welcome to all the new contributors. You have added to the enjoyment.

Mine, Batfaam, Jedz, Burque, Sandy & Charlie are getting the most of my attention.

Mine & Lurch are great for showing the canopy of trees along with the dirt road that looks like little traffic.
                              And I will admitt that my photo was taken mostly to show the canopy of trees, with some fall color, over the dirt road.
                              (BUt when submitting this photo and choosing the theme-subject of the week, I chose the theme of "Lonely Road" cuz I though more folks would have photos to submit for "Lonely Road" than they would for "Canopy Of Tress with Leaves On Dirt Road".)
                              If I had been thinking more of featuring the dirt road, when I took the picture, I would have found a scene where could see the road further and find a perspective to have the road take more of the frame.
                              Had I been thinking more about lack of traffic, I could have posed things and chosen perspective more to also feature the leaves in the road undisturbed by traffic.

Trev & Sandy have great shots of bike(s) along road with scenery while showing empty road, well, at least no cars at that time. Sandy has a great set of curves all across the frame, definitely the best photo showing a set of curves with no traffic visible in the photo.

Baatfam & DB sure found small roads that look like could not carry much traffic at all, look like one lane wide, yet an actaull county road, paved even, very small road. Baatfam sure found a scene and posed things for a perspective where the road takes a large portion of the frame, really features the road and all its curves and no shoulder and incline, and shows how the bike takes up half the road with no room for opposite traffic, and trees right next to edge of raod. Baatfam is definatly the best picture showing a narrow road, which is definatly a road (assuming it is not a private drive or something).

Jedz has nice composition to show that the shoulder is muddy and can see the road a long distance, and looks like road with little traffic. Sure showed what the ride was like. Nice focus of bike in foreground and road in distance. Sure showed me a road scene that I would not find myself.

Charlie and Burque sure show the road for a long way. So gives idea that is not any traffic for all the distance. Has my eyes following the road, all along saying to myself "wow, that IS a lonley road. Sure can see in the photo that it is a lonely road."

All these and more sure got my attention, and I enjoyed all of the others also.
                              So, needed to think of a tie-breaker in my deliberations.

For the tie-breaker I thought of the picture that shows the road the longest distance, and looks the most lonely, and is overall intersting picture.
                              For some of these pictures I found myself saying to myself "If the road is so lonely, why is the bike parked so far off the road....?"
                              With both of those thoughts in mind, I choose Roger Burque photo. Can see the road the longest, and can see that not only is there no traffic at that time al that distance, is nothing anywhere that would ever cause much traffic, but definatly is a maintained road to somewhere off in the distance. He found a good perspective to show this. And bike is posed across the road, all the time it took to climb up on whatever that was to get that perspective. The main idea of the entire pic is Lonely Road. Apparently he stopped there because he knew he could climb up on whatever (climb up a cactus??) to get that picture with that perspective.

Last edited by Redman; 04-20-2018, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Lots of great shots this week and a record number as well. Tough decision but I'm going to vote for Burque. I like the way the photo portrays the remoteness of the location. Reminds me of trips like this where you're out in the middle of freaking nowhere. Sorry folks ...no motorcycle.

by soates50, on Flickr
                                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
                                X