No announcement yet.

Pic of the week game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My aviation plan. I gotta go different, right? I decided not to go with the nearby retired jet, but instead I put the rainsuit on and rode to see Chuck Yeager. You all know that Yeager was the first pilot to fly faster than the speed of sound, which he did on October 14, 1947, in a Bell X-1. He was born in Lincoln County WV, twenty miles from where I live; he served in the USAF in WWII, piloted the P-51 Mustang, and eventually achieved the rank of brigadier general. In 1973 Yeager was inducted into the National Aviation Hall of Fame (there's the theme!!), and he is considered by many to be one of the greatest pilots of all time. General Yeager (95) lives in Penn Valley, CA.

The front of the monument reads:
    BORN MYRA, LINCOLN COUNTY
    WEST VIRGINIA FEBRUARY 13, 1923
    GRADUATED HAMLIN HIGH SCHOOL 1941
    ENLISTED ARMY AIR CORPS SEPTEMBER 1941
    RECEIVED PILOT'S WINGS MARCH 1943
    WORD WAR II 84 COMBAT MISSIONS
    DESTROYED 13 ENEMY AIRCRAFT
    MARRIED GLENNIS DICKHOUSE FEBRUARY 26 1945
    FIRST MAN TO BREAK SOUND BARRIER
    OCTOBER 14 1947

"Always leave yourself a way out." Brigadier General Chuck Yeager
    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Am gonna delete my previous entry from earlier in the week, and now use this shot from today at the same place (local municipal airport).

If you are interested in what it is:
      (quote from newspaper artical)
      That's an F-100 Super Sabre, which was used by the U.S. Air Force from 1954-71 and by the Air National Guard until 1979. It was the first USAF fighter capable of supersonic speed in level flight.
      After its tour of duty in the Vietnam War, the plane was shipped to Grand Haven through the cooperation of the U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Air Force and the Thunderbird Squadron. It was dedicated on Aug. 1, 1970, as part of that year's Coast Guard Festival.

For other shots see:
      https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...83#post2496383
      (and next few posts after that)
      Last edited by Redman; 08-30-2018, 10:42 PM. Reason: For other shots see:

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

OK, y'all have done a wonderful job of highlighting some of the heros and some of the machines.

How about a tribute to a couple of guys that were rather involved at the beginning?

I did manage to get them "on the bike", hoping they might reciprocate, but the museum was closed. I was hoping to maybe get a picture of the actual plane in the hangar, but schedule conflicts prevented me from getting there during the few hours they are open.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Another good week.
          Voting for Wacky. I love the setup and how the plane looks to be flying over the bike.
          As a bit of a history geek, I also liked Steve and Kerrfunk's.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks for the mention, Glen. And yeah, Wacky's setup is great.

I'm voting for Steve. That's an even better hat-tip to aviation than mine.

honorable mention: Redman's reflection. Nice.
            "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Originally posted by wacky941 View Post
              Does this work?

Works for me, you got my vote! Nice photo. Like DB said, looks like the plane is flying over your bike.

I learned about the vomit comet on 3-2-1 Contact back in the 80's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Jvhf56xhE It's around the eighth minute in this video.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

My vote this week goes to Trevor again. The low light on the "Art Deco" flight tower and hangers are what make it for me. I wish it had been centered better, with a bit less forground and a 1940's Indian Cheif taking the place of the GS. Thanks for all the other great photos guys!
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I have complements for several of the pics.

Trevor, great evening sun (or maybe morning) without any distracting shadows. Right next to planes and tower, wonder how did that. Photo contains lots of "aviation".
                  Dorkburger, Rich, & Roger Burque good poses with the light on the main subject. Can tell went to some thought/effort to find a good pose for the available lighting.

Kerry, Good subject. I was interested in how the granite (marble?) appeared, then realized that was rain streaking across.
                  Steve, Good subject also. No indication of your photo skills, but I first thought that was Tommy & Dick Smothers. Har Har har. And Tommy was smoking a hand grip.

Mine, I liked mine as an interesting bike & plane photo, but didnt really say "aviation".

Skinner, Welcome to the game.

My vote: Wacky. Nicely arranged so see bike & plane and that is all, have to look to find any of the supports. Nicely lit all around. Would have liked better if included all of the wing on the right in the frame rather than empty space on the left, but still a startling image. Did not look like a static display at first.
                  Last edited by Redman; 08-31-2018, 01:16 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

My vote's for Wacky941. Looks like it's ready to take off right over your bike.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Lots of great photos this week....Very hard to choose.
                      However, many were very similar, and the one that stood out to me, because it was just a little different than the rest, was Redman's photo.

Redman, (Dave), gets my vote this week for creativity.
                      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I better vote now before I get to busy... I like Wacky's picture of the "Vomit Comet". A bunch of great pictures! I wasn't sure if this Aviation subject was going to be good idea or not. 👍
                        My Motorcycles:
                        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                        79 1000e (all original)
                        82 850g (all original)
                        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Kats are Kool!
                          Skinner gets my vote.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

For a lot of reasons I couldn't get out this week like I wanted then saw Steve get the one I was going to grab since I'm right across the interstate from it. But I'm voting for Wacky too since he's lined the bike up just right
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Go for it Wacky.

V
                              Gustov
                              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                              81 GS 1000 G
                              79 GS 850 G
                              81 GS 850 L
                              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                              80 GS 550 L
                              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                              2002 Honda 919
                              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

HI guys,
                                My vote goes to Redman, I love the reflection imposed F-100.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Working...
                                X