• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If this too Obscure folks speak up'
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
      If this too Obscure folks speak up'
      Nope, it's fine. Just early in the game. I'll have something up soon. Like Glen said, riding can be a very spiritual experience. I think Redman, Dave had a good point too though in how to convey the spiritual significance in the pic. Or something to that effect.

I thought about a pic in front of the church I was baptized in but we did church photos recently, plus honestly it's a pretty drab building.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Thanks for the feed back....
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
          Nope, it's fine.
          I think so too. I think of spiritual awareness as internal, and not something visible. My bike pics are all about aesthetically pleasing places, usually with a bike in them somewhere. None were taken with the idea of saving an awareness of something bigger, something not seeable.

There does seem to be a shorthand in the 'spiritual image' genre and that is by atmospheric images - big skies with clouds receding to the horizon, vast distances, looming thunderheads with rays of sun peeking out, mountain tops, mist at sunrise, etc. Most of us are not photo artists but likely there are some evocative pics taken by accident that convey something more than bikes in scenery.

This is one of the more interesting challenges. Looking forward to the responses.
          1979 GS1000
          1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

I agree with what DaveR said and that this is going to be mostly an internal to you thing that maybe the picture can explain. Unfortunately this would be the best one for me right now. This is of Helen Hunt Falls in Cheyenne Canon (yes, it's spelled that way on purpose, I just can't put the special punctuation in) Colorado and is named after the famous poet Helen Hunt Jackson. I used to come up here (just down the canyon a bit actually) to sit and try to clear my head after my dad died back in 1992 two months shy of his 61st birthday and two months after my 21st.

I know I should have waited for the guy to clear but oh well.

Helen Hunt Falls by Scott Baker, on Flickr
            Last edited by cowboyup3371; 09-17-2018, 05:46 PM.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

To the right of where the bikes are parked is a small creek called Cedar Run. When we visited Pa as kids, this is one of the spots my parents took us to play. Part of my father's ashes are scattered here, and a Pa visit is incomplete without stopping there .
              http://Untitled by Glen Brenner, on Flickr

Pic of the creek for context...
              http://Untitled by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
              Last edited by dorkburger; 09-17-2018, 10:10 PM.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Looks like this week it's a trip down memory lane. To most this looks like a photo of just four motorcycles but to me it's in accumulation of memories. Taken on Hwy 101 in north California in September 2008. The 2007 GSXR1000 is owned by my buddy Bob ("the collector" for those that attended my rally). We've been riding together for almost 40 years and our first trip together was a 10,000 mile cross Canada trip back in 1980. The Vstrom belongs to a local friend, David, I've known for decades as well. He was the guy at Bob's during the rally with the really nice GT750 and the 2001 Guzzi Lemans is one of several bikes owned by my older brother Cliff who got me started in this whole madness back in the late 60's. One ironic thing is the fact that we've all been riding every year since we started back in our teens and still are. We also still own the motorcycles in the picture.

by soates50, on Flickr
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I'm currently in Ireland on a 2-week spiritual retreat with 20 other United Methodists. We are touring castle and cathedral ruins and monasteries and the like, as well as doing a bit of sightseeing. Today in Waterford Ireland, my friend David and I happened upon an Irishman mounting his Honda, and he was kind enough to allow me a picture. So here I am on a little Honda in Waterford Ireland on a spiritual retreat. Again, apologies for the format, it's what I can do from a phone.
                  "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Posing on a stranger's Honda (with his permission) in Waterford, Ireland. by Kerry Bart, on Flickr

Kerrfunk in Waterford,Ir. Love the ankle bear!
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                      Posing on a stranger's Honda (with his permission) in Waterford, Ireland. by Kerry Bart, on Flickr

Looks like a "Bare ankle"....
                      No signature

Comment

I suppose are a few aspects of "spiritual", and I can think of some experiences that fit some of those aspects, (including the exact definition of the word), but those locations are not photogenic, dont support having a mo'cykl in the picture, and some are far away.

I did think of an nearby place of an occurrence (mid 1980s) that I have often thought of and reflected upon. Is where I ran bike off the road and down along one side of the ditch, along the bottom of the ditch, and along the other side of the ditch, and then up and out the other side of the ditch, without hitting anything nor getting thrown. I dont recall too much of what all happened, other than was drinking all afternoon and the traffic situation changed and I didnt react well enough soon enough, so quickly ran off the side of the road. Was a few hazards along that stretch of ditch, but where I went off avoided all of them, and not by my own doing. A few feet either way or a different angle/path would have been quite different. Came to the realization that I should not be doing that no mo' no mo' no mo'.
                        Have been back there from time to time. Went back the other day for a picture for this subject-theme, and now the road has been expanded and the ditch reshaped, and other factors such that didnt support a representative picture.

Oh, just thought of a pic I do have, of another situation. .... let me look......
                        Last edited by Redman; 09-18-2018, 03:58 PM. Reason: wording

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

(Pic from 2011)
                          Remembering a friend, fellow rider, on the anniversary of her fatal motorcycle accident.
                          Watching the river flow on bye.
                          Can see the surface, but know there is more below flowing also, is flowing bye .... goes somewhere....

(Later comment: Some of you old-timers here will correctly suspect who & when, but lets not bring that up now.)
                          Last edited by Redman; 09-18-2018, 04:08 PM. Reason: Later comment

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I'm not a religious person. But the places that allow me the best reflection are away from others with good views.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G
                              Thanks! That's Osito, which means Little Bear. Also it contains the initials of Owsley Stanley, sound-man and graphic artist for the Greatful Dead.
                              "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Is this a weighted vote?

Charlie G has my vote, but GustovH is a very close 2nd as the subject matter is very dear to me as well.

Charlie, is that church one of your builds?
                                '83 GS650G
                                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                                X