No announcement yet.

Pic of the week game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not all that picturesque, but Multiple fire trucks, in service, action shot .....

Was early April this year (after retiring end of November), one of the first longer rides of the year on the GK, riding on this divided highway, saw firetruck arrive on the neighborhood street that could see from the highway. I noticed a little bit of smoke comming from the eves of the garage. So I stopped and pulled into the median to see what was proceeding. I thought that, yah, I could stop here for a few minutes. Saw one guy with a bit of different uniform from the others, he was barking orders, and other guys puling the hoses and connecting to hydrant and deploying the extension nozzles and such. THought, hey, look, the supervisor and the employees har har har .... Not Me Any More...

THey started the waterflow from the extended nozzle, blasting right on the roof, apparently untill blasted thru the roofing material into the garage.
    THen more smoke comming out of the garage gables. THis is about the time of this picture.

Then I put away the camera, thinking I had been there for maybe 5-10 minutes and should get going.
    THen thought, hey, I dont have to be anywhere at anytime, I could stand here all afternoon if I wanted, and I want to, so I will hang around for as long as I want. All the sudden I had a new level of understanding about this retirement situation.

So, I stayed there longer, even walked back to a better vantage point.
    Was interesting to watch the crew & equipment work, to watch the smoke progress from the garage, to the breezeway, to the house, and the crew expand thier efforts from the garage to the breezeway to the house.
    Was maybe an hour, then had flames comming out of house attic, and they were spraying into the house.
    Then when it became more obvious that I was watching someone loose their house, I decided I didn't want to spectate much more. And I found the the limiting factor was not the time, but that after having too much coffee at my breakfast stop and riding out in the cold, (and there being no "behind the trees" in highway median) the limiting factor was needing to find a bathroom, so headed on my way.

So, it was an interesting day with a couple new realizations, and I have this picture of bike and emergency equipment in action.
    Last edited by Redman; 09-23-2018, 08:25 AM. Reason: shorter story,

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
      THen thought, hey, I dont have to be anywhere at anytime, I could stand here all afternoon if I wanted, and I want to, so I will hang around for as long as I want. All the sudden I had a new level of understanding about this retirement situation.
      LOL...A retirement epiphany!

Hard to top that....But here is mine. I've used this before, but it is the best I have right now.

Five years ago, my second BMW K1100RS, and a fire truck.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Nothing dramatic about this one. An event at a city park with state and city first responders. Kids playing, grills smoking and fun being had by all.

Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Hey all. Busy weekend. Sorry for the non vote.
          I may have to sit this one out. I'm on call this week, and I don't think I have any subject related pictures.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
            I may have to sit this one out. I'm on call this week, ...
            Nope, sorry, can't do that.

Not allowed to sit one out unless you recruit a substitute.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
              ... ... ...
              I may have to sit this one out. I'm on call this week, and I don't think I have any subject related pictures.
              If I understand correctly, you can call, and they come to you.
              That is, if you can remember the phone number for Nineunyoun.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Mmmmmm. I think I'll pass.
                I do have a pic somewhere of my bike in front of the local firehouse, but the doors are closed. Somewhere means... in an old digital camera or my old circa 2005 Windows XP laptop. It's given some interesting rides down memory lane since this thread started.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Not all that picturesque, but Multiple fire trucks, in service, action shot .....

So, it was an interesting day with a couple new realizations, and I have this picture of bike and emergency equipment in action.
                  Uhhh
                  Wow... Why do I think this is morbid Dave? HAHAHA
                  That's going to be a hard one to beat...
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                  2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                  Originally posted by Hayabuser
                  Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

This was taken last December....my DR650 in the pic and my neighbour Bryan beside the ambulance....inside the Ambulance is Rob after a bad fall out on the trail....We were 32kms in and had a logging guy drive Rob out to an awaiting ambulance...Rob was laid up for a couple of months with a broken humerus...

This is NOT the pic..Rob did NOT WANT them to cut his gear off....Funny when I opened the door to the ambulance, they had alreadt given Rob drugs...and the first thing says he yells.. "There's no drugs in here for you Franklin"!! Lol

No signature

Comment

Was early April this year (after retiring end of November), one of the first longer rides of the year on the GK, riding on this divided highway, saw firetruck arrive on the neighborhood street that could see from the highway. I noticed a little bit of smoke comming from the eves of the garage. So I stopped and pulled into the median to see what was proceeding. I thought that, yah, I could stop here for a few minutes. Saw one guy with a bit of different uniform from the others, he was barking orders, and other guys puling the hoses and connecting to hydrant and deploying the extension nozzles and such. THought, hey, look, the supervisor and the employees har har har .... Not Me Any More...

THey started the waterflow from the extended nozzle, blasting right on the roof, apparently untill blasted thru the roofing material into the garage.
                      THen more smoke comming out of the garage gables. THis is about the time of this picture.

Then I put away the camera, thinking I had been there for maybe 5-10 minutes and should get going.

So, I stayed there longer, even walked back to a better vantage point.
                      Was interesting to watch the crew & equipment work, to watch the smoke progress from the garage, to the breezeway, to the house, and the crew expand thier efforts from the garage to the breezeway to the house.
                      Was maybe an hour, then had flames comming out of house attic, and they were spraying into the house.
                      Then when it became more obvious that I was watching someone loose their house, I decided I didn't want to spectate much more. And I found the the limiting factor was not the time, but that after having too much coffee at my breakfast stop and riding out in the cold, (and there being no "behind the trees" in highway median) the limiting factor was needing to find a bathroom, so headed on my way.

Every Dept has differnt regulations but for us to use the "Master Stream" (anything that puts out big water like that ladder truck) that means we've gone defensive and it's too dangerous to go on an interior attack or there's simply too much fire to go inside, at that point the structure is probably going to be burnt out. That device they're using to flow water will flow between 1000 to 1500 GPM. The handlines (hoses small enough touse yourself) you typically see them use will flow 275-350 or so GPM. The master streams pack enough punch we can use them to punch holes in residential roofs to get to attic fires.

Great pics so far this week guys

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
                        Ah! You seem like an experienced firefighter. A good service that you provide to the community.

And... let me guess; you have opportunity, from time to time, to get some good shots of emergency equipment and your bike.

Comment

Eh not really haha. I'm not putting in an entry this week anywa since I picked the topic.

Comment

I have no action shots or anything dramatic. I chose this one to show a bit of the function of the fire truck.

Gustov
                            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                            80 GS 550 L
                            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
                              Eh not really haha. I'm not putting in an entry this week anywa since I picked the topic.
                              Why not? You should...

And because rule 5 and 6, from page one:

1. Today is Saturday, I'll start with a theme.
                              2. Saturday to Thursday is submissions time. Everyone else can post one (and only one) picture that meets the theme.
                              3. Friday is voting day. Vote for the picture you like the most. You can vote even if you didn't participate with a pic during the week. (voting closes at midnight, Pacific time zone).
                              4. In case of a tie during the voting day, the first vote that breaks the tie the day after will decide the winner.
                              5. Saturday, the winner of the week posts a new theme using an example picture.
                              6. The example picture ALSO participates.
                              7. Any bike can participate... not only GS's (as long as it was yours when the pic was taken)
                              8. The date of the picture does not matter, or who took the pic. You can use new or old pics as long as you've got the bike in the pic (or as much of the bike as necessary for the theme) and they meet the week's theme.

Seriously, you don't have to, but you certainly can.
                              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

OK, I finally have some time to sit down and add my two cents.

2011 Triple Nickel Ride (oHIo State Route 555). Most of the others were riding at a pace that would put a smirk on bwringer's face. Scott (cowboyup) and I were bringing up the rear at a pace that was a bit ... "less exuberant". After all, he was riding a borrowed bike (mine) that was larger than his own, and I was on my Wing. One particular hill had a curve right at the top. If you didn't know the curve, it would be easy to overshoot. As you can see from the tire track, Scott came pretty close to making it all the way around the curve. If the ditch wasn't so deep, it might not have been so bad. He only had a very short ride in the ambulance. It only took him a couple hundred yards around the corner just past the house, so he could finish his trip to Columbus.

Yes, I do have his permission to post this.

sigpic
                                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride
                                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                                X