The Five Universal Laws of Human Stupidity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Five Universal Laws of Human Stupidity

I could not get through this article without both smiling and chuckling.

It is so nicely worded, and so accurate in what it says.

It was a really delightful read.

The Five Universal Laws of Stupidity
    From Quartz , written by Corinne Purtill

In 1976, a professor of economic history at the University of California, Berkeley published an essay outlining the fundamental laws of a force he perceived as humanity’s greatest existential threat: Stupidity.

Stupid people, Carlo M. Cipolla explained, share several identifying traits: they are abundant, they are irrational, and they cause problems for others without apparent benefit to themselves, thereby lowering society’s total well-being. There are no defenses against stupidity, argued the Italian-born professor, who died in 2000. The only way a society can avoid being crushed by the burden of its idiots is if the non-stupid work even harder to offset the losses of their stupid brethren.

Let’s take a look at Cipolla’s five basic laws of human stupidity:

Law 1: Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation.

No matter how many idiots you suspect yourself surrounded by, Cipolla wrote, you are invariably lowballing the total. This problem is compounded by biased assumptions that certain people are intelligent based on superficial factors like their job, education level, or other traits we believe to be exclusive of stupidity. They aren’t. Which takes us to:

Law 2: The probability that a certain person be stupid is independent of any other characteristic of that person.

Cipolla posits stupidity is a variable that remains constant across all populations. Every category one can imagine—gender, race, nationality, education level, income—possesses a fixed percentage of stupid people. There are stupid college professors. There are stupid people at Davos and at the UN General Assembly. There are stupid people in every nation on earth. How numerous are the stupid amongst us? It’s impossible to say. And any guess would almost certainly violate the first law, anyway.

Law 3. A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses.

Cipolla called this one the Golden Law of stupidity. A stupid person, according to the economist, is one who causes problems for others without any clear benefit to himself.

The uncle unable to stop himself from posting fake news articles to Facebook? Stupid. The customer service representative who keeps you on the phone for an hour, hangs up on you twice, and somehow still manages to screw up your account? Stupid.

This law also introduces three other phenotypes that Cipolla says co-exist alongside stupidity. First there is the intelligent person, whose actions benefit both himself and others. Then there is the bandit, who benefits himself at others’ expense. And lastly there is the helpless person, whose actions enrich others at his own expense.
    The non-stupid are a flawed and inconsistent bunch. Sometimes we act intelligently, sometimes we are selfish bandits, sometimes we act helplessly and are taken advantage of by others, and sometimes we’re a bit of both. The stupid, in comparison, are paragons of consistency, acting at all times with unyielding idiocy.

However, consistent stupidity is the only consistent thing about the stupid. This is what makes stupid people so dangerous. Cipolla explains:

Essentially stupid people are dangerous and damaging because reasonable people find it difficult to imagine and understand unreasonable behavior. An intelligent person may understand the logic of a bandit. The bandit’s actions follow a pattern of rationality: nasty rationality, if you like, but still rationality. The bandit wants a plus on his account. Since he is not intelligent enough to devise ways of obtaining the plus as well as providing you with a plus, he will produce his plus by causing a minus to appear on your account. All this is bad, but it is rational and if you are rational you can predict it. You can foresee a bandit’s actions, his nasty maneuvres and ugly aspirations and often can build up your defenses.

With a stupid person all this is absolutely impossible as explained by the Third Basic Law. A stupid creature will harass you for no reason, for no advantage, without any plan or scheme and at the most improbable times and places. You have no rational way of telling if and when and how and why the stupid creature attacks. When confronted with a stupid individual you are completely at his mercy.

All of which leads us to:

Law 4: Non-stupid people always underestimate the damaging power of stupid individuals. In particular non-stupid people constantly forget that at all times and places and under any circumstances to deal and/or associate with stupid people always turns out to be a costly mistake.

We underestimate the stupid, and we do so at our own peril. This brings us to the fifth and final law:

Law 5: A stupid person is the most dangerous type of person.

And its corollary:

A stupid person is more dangerous than a bandit.

We can do nothing about the stupid. The difference between societies that collapse under the weight of their stupid citizens and those who transcend them are the makeup of the non-stupid. Those progressing in spite of their stupid possess a high proportion of people acting intelligently, those who counterbalance the stupid’s losses by bringing about gains for themselves and their fellows.

Declining societies have the same percentage of stupid people as successful ones. But they also have high percentages of helpless people and, Cipolla writes, “an alarming proliferation of the bandits with overtones of stupidity.”

“Such change in the composition of the non-stupid population inevitably strengthens the destructive power of the [stupid] fraction and makes decline a certainty,” Cipolla concludes. “And the country goes to Hell.”

The text contained a chart that I could not reproduce.
    Full article, with chart, here:
    "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
    Winston Churchill

Of course, there is an important corollary: “You Can’t Fix Stupid”
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Yes stupid people yah never can tell
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Wisdom and common sense seem to be in short supply these days. It has been some years now that I started adding a nuisance and stupidity tax on many of the calls i get to fix problems that are caused by stupid people. For instance, last week i got a call from a girl who is in second year university and she said that it was cold in her apartment. I went over and there was lots of heat coming from the rad. I raised the window blinds and sure enough, the windows were wide open. I closed them and told her that it would be nice and toasty in about an hour. Next day i get a call from someone else whose toilet wouldn't flush. I plunged the toilet and got rid of the fecal matter, but there was a large mass of something grey and sticky at the bottom of the bowl. I scooped it out and knew what it was. She had been dumping her kitty litter down the toilet. Kitty litter expands when wet, and it becomes very heavy and sticky. She was not home at the time so I texted her some toliet training lessons.

On top of the nuisance and stupidity tax I have to charge the combined Provincial and Federal HST - 13% Over the past decade the Provincial and Federal governments have collected well over $1,000. on nuisance and stupidity taxes!

Comment

Originally posted by Phred View Post
          Wisdom and common sense seem to be in short supply these days. It has been some years now that I started adding a nuisance and stupidity tax on many of the calls i get to fix problems that are caused by stupid people. For instance, last week i got a call from a girl who is in second year university and she said that it was cold in her apartment. I went over and there was lots of heat coming from the rad. I raised the window blinds and sure enough, the windows were wide open. I closed them and told her that it would be nice and toasty in about an hour. Next day i get a call from someone else whose toilet wouldn't flush. I plunged the toilet and got rid of the fecal matter, but there was a large mass of something grey and sticky at the bottom of the bowl. I scooped it out and knew what it was. She had been dumping her kitty litter down the toilet. Kitty litter expands when wet, and it becomes very heavy and sticky. She was not home at the time so I texted her some toliet training lessons.

On top of the nuisance and stupidity tax I have to charge the combined Provincial and Federal HST - 13% Over the past decade the Provincial and Federal governments have collected well over $1,000. on nuisance and stupidity taxes!
          Thanks, Phred.

Your litter story reminded me of a repair I had to do in a small basement apartment that had just been tiled.
          The owner complained the kitchen sink was draining very slowly.
          She was right....the sink and the pipes were solidly blocked with masonry cement: apparently the tiler had either poured off excess or washed his tools in the sink.......
          Winston Churchill

Comment

To be fair saying someone who doesn't have practical experience(ignorance) isn't the same as stupid. We're all ignorant of something.
            1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
              To be fair saying someone who doesn't have practical experience(ignorance) isn't the same as stupid. We're all ignorant of something.
              I did not know that.
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                Absolutely agreed. Also stupidity can exist in those not ignorant.
                1981 GS1100E
                1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

OK that was good.

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                  I did not know that.
                  Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally Posted by wyly
                    Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                    OK that was good.
                    It just might be proof of truth in Metalfab's tag line...."It is the mark of an educated mind....."
                    Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                      OK that was good.
                      Yeah, that was excellent.
                      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                        Of course, there is an important corollary: “You Can’t Fix Stupid”
                        But Covid can.
                        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by Phred View Post
                          Wisdom and common sense seem to be in short supply these days!...
                          There's no "these days" - stupid has always been with us, always is, and always will be.

If you think there's more stupid around, then it's possible that either you have become less stupid, or you're encountering more people and/or more situations and thus more of the very high percentage of stupid people (see Rules 1 and 2).

It's very much worth reading the actual original paper rather than the poor paraphrasing above, which contains quite a few, dare I say it, stupid misunderstandings.
                          Last edited by bwringer; 11-09-2021, 03:45 AM.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                            But Covid can.
                            Like the Darwin Awards in viral form, okay that works.
                            1981 GS1100E
                            1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

How to define stupid?

When someone makes an mistake based on their lack of experience that's not stupid. If they fail to learn from that mistake then we're getting into stupid.

When someone fails to accept expert advice because they think they know more than the expert, then that's stupid.
                              1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Working...
                              X