No announcement yet.

BIKECLIFFS WEBITE troubles????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Don. I'll work on sorting that out later this week.

As far as the broken links, missing resources, etc.... I'll do what I can to sort that out, but it'll be a slow process and some things may not be possible.

When I created this archive, Cliff was using free hosting that came with his ISP account, and linked to resources scattered across several different servers. I consolidated most to my hosting using a combination of automated tools and some very elaborate search/replace, but there are some resources, like Skydrive, that interfered with automation and will need to be manually checked and removed or replaced.

I'll work on getting those sorted out, and then I'll ask the community if there's anything that should be here that has disappeared. For a lot of documents and images, I bet someone has some of this squirreled away.

I'll also likely remove many of the links to external resources. Quite a few product links, for example, are badly outdated and broken.

I've also noticed some just plain incorrect information here and there, and some things, like replacing the regulator, likely need to be updated since new products (like series regulators) and improved procedures are now available. Maybe I'll just redirect those to the appropriate posts and threads here.

For the time being, I do not need bug and broken link reports. There are hundreds, so I'll work through everything I can find and fix more or less automatically, then at that point I'll ask for more eyes to test things. So please just sit on that info for a bit longer.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      I've also noticed some just plain incorrect information here and there, and some things, like replacing the regulator, likely need to be updated since new products (like series regulators) and improved procedures are now available. Maybe I'll just redirect those to the appropriate posts and threads here.
      That's a good idea. Would save you quite a bit of work in the long run regarding data input.
      Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
      1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

So im back again....tried to get on bikecliffs again tonight using the link for brians archieved link and i get a log in request from ATT saying i need to log into ATT.. What gives this time???
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          So im back again....tried to get on bikecliffs again tonight using the link for brians archieved link and i get a log in request from ATT saying i need to log into ATT.. What gives this time???
          I just clicked on the link in post #8 of this thread and got the top page of the site with no issue.
          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            Can you share exactly what link you were trying to use? I haven't seen that error.

This is the home page of the archive:
            Suzuki GS motorcycles maintenance and information (GS850GT)

Nothing I have has anything to do with AT&T, but some of the resources and storage spaces Cliff was using did. For example, the website itself was using the free hosting you used to get from your ISP, and may even have been an old account. He also had some stuff squirreled away on university hosting (students and faculty often get access to a little hosting space) and some was stored with a few defunct file sharing services like Skydrive.

I did remove several hundred dead links to shady Russian sites a few weeks ago; they're long gone and were likely not safe anyway.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
            X