Water filters whole house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water filters whole house

I bought a new fridge as my 34 yr old kenmore was refusing to die or act bad in any way.
    Its a Samsung so im hoping to get 3-5 yrs outta it then go and buy back my Kenmore

Anyway its got the nice but unecessary ice make and water dispenser\filtration system.

I was actually shocked that the filtration made such a difference. I can barely get my water to catch fire now and slides show nary an amoeba.

Being so amazed I asked a friend who has a whole house system and he told me his filters last 9 months or so but mileage varies with time of year.
    He also does not have the toilets on an unfiltered line which I think is a terrible waste of filters as they are a major water user and folks rarely drink from them.

And now Im watching youtube planning to enter the often whackjob filled realm of water filterers.

Progressively small washable metal mesh down to fibre cart to prolong life is obviously the way to go quite shocking to see the sediment and oxidizing iron bits in so many peoples water.

So who here does this?
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

The water here in Indy arrives clean and safe, but a little musty and with varying levels of chlorine depending on how much it's been raining; it all comes from reservoirs, so if it's been raining a lot they have to use more chlorine, and sometimes it doesn't all outgas before reaching the tap. On the plus side, our water isn't very hard.

So anyway, a simple carbon filter for taste on the fridge icemaker and/or water dispenser is plenty. The water comes out quite tasty. I installed a drinking water faucet and carbon filter at work, and we use it for coffee, tea, etc. as well.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Use one of these under the kitchen sink... nothing else gets filtered apart from at the fridge that only makes ice. https://cuzn.com/product/uc-200-unde...-water-filter/
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I live in a small area called Spring Lake. There is a reason why it's called that. lol
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
          I live in a small area called Spring Lake. There is a reason why it's called that. lol
          Silver Springs was a stunning spot
          Is spring Lake as clear.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
            I bought a new fridge as my 34 yr old kenmore was refusing to die or act bad in any way.
            Its a Samsung so im hoping to get 3-5 yrs outta it then go and buy back my Kenmore

Anyway its got the nice but unecessary ice make and water dispenser\filtration system.

I was actually shocked that the filtration made such a difference. I can barely get my water to catch fire now and slides show nary an amoeba.

Being so amazed I asked a friend who has a whole house system and he told me his filters last 9 months or so but mileage varies with time of year.
            He also does not have the toilets on an unfiltered line which I think is a terrible waste of filters as they are a major water user and folks rarely drink from them.

And now Im watching youtube planning to enter the often whackjob filled realm of water filterers.

Progressively small washable metal mesh down to fibre cart to prolong life is obviously the way to go quite shocking to see the sediment and oxidizing iron bits in so many peoples water.

So who here does this?
            If your water has a lot of contaminates in it, filters don't last long. There is a system you can mount under the kitchen cabinet, it is an RO (Reverse Osmosis) system. These work so well that you can put salty sea water through then and it takes out the salt. They also go through automatic cleaning cycles and clean their filter elements. They are pretty maintenance free. Setting up the whole house on an RO system normally isn't done. They produce limited volumes, but they can easily produce way more drinking water than you need. Normally you will add a smaller second drinking water faucet at the kitchen sink. Making a T to the fridge is popular. These are used a lot in areas where well water isn't drinkable because of various minerals or crude oil in the area.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            The water here in Indy arrives clean and safe, but a little musty and with varying levels of chlorine depending on how much it's been raining; it all comes from reservoirs, so if it's been raining a lot they have to use more chlorine, and sometimes it doesn't all outgas before reaching the tap. On the plus side, our water isn't very hard.

So anyway, a simple carbon filter for taste on the fridge icemaker and/or water dispenser is plenty. The water comes out quite tasty. I installed a drinking water faucet and carbon filter at work, and we use it for coffee, tea, etc. as well.
            Chlorine participates iron out of the water, sometimes higher chlorine use is to partly lower the iron level.

Hard/soft water test.....Wash your hands with bar soap. When you rinse if the soap comes off fast and your hands are squeaky, you have soft water. If the soap doesn't come off fast and your hands are a still a bit slick after rinsing a few seconds you have hard water. The reason hard water doesn't take the soap easily is the water is so saturated with minerals, it has trouble removing the soap.
            1981 GS1100E
            1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post

So who here does this?
              Good planning!

Not a stranger to Samsung, as we have had a couple of their microwaves, TV, washer and dryer with no problems, but when problems do occur they tend to hide behind any excuse they can find.

We bought a Samsung slide-in range two years ago.

One day we came home and found the thing glowing bright red and heating the kitchen and it was a day when we knew it was OFF because we had not used the stove for several hours before leaving home.
              Fortunately, we had left nothing on top of the stove.

Problem: The main burners would turn ON if you did nothing more than accidentally brush against them while just walking past the range or lean against it to reach the wall-mount microwave (which is also Samsung).
              Even moderate pressure would depress the knobs and they had a detent at the bottom that automatically shifted the switch to full ON as it went down..

Samsung sent a repair man who replaced all the switches, but the new ones were exactly the same. He said he had received similar complaints from others. Only the main burners did this.
              Multiple follow-up calls to Samsung got nowhere....they insisted the faulty switches had been approved by UL/CSA and refused to do anything else. They would not give contact info about higher-ups and even refused to send copies of recorded chat sessions.

Since Samsung had repeatedly refused to do anything more I removed the knobs and chose a simple repair: I put small coil springs beneath each switch knob so it takes more downward pressure before they will turn.

That simple thing solved the problem. It has never happened since.

I reported the safety issue to the appropriate government offices, but have never heard from them.

On the main subject of water filters, I do not know about whole-house filters, but we have one in our refrigerator and found Amazon has a wide selection of options, with many of the lower price ones being considered excellent by a large number of buyers, including me.
              Last edited by argonsagas; 12-18-2021, 11:18 AM.
              "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
              Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
              X