Ukraine russia invasion predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
    It's going to be some rare earth metals and some aluminum that north america is presently getting that'll be compromised. Nickel is also an issue although I'm not sure how much of it we need here and can go without, that could be a biggie. Someone else will need to pipe in on oil and gas, I'm not sure much of theirs goes into the refinery mix used here. Needless to say other countries WILL be hit hard over oil shortages and that'll drive up prices, you guy's will be scraping sludge in Alberta big time.

Another one I'm not sure of is our various sales to Russia and how that'll hit things we export to them and the money lost due to losing them from our markets.

Remember, over here. Keep your stick on the ice, we're all in this together!
    She didn't say what the new sanctions will be .... But there are some indications .... No Russian ship is allowed in and I believe we get a small bit of oil from them ..... Plus all property owned by the Oligarchs is being identified .... To what end I don't know . Can't believe it might be confiscation but if they go that route it won't offend me ......
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
      Apparently, I don't take the situation as lightly as you.
      Oh come on Earl...you are just a little embarrassed for not picking up on the sarcasm...it's ok. But to think that people rob is not taking it seriously is pretty judgemental imo.
      No signature

Comment

In search of an off ramp.

All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

On a lighter note... there are reports that the Ukrainian government has announced that income citizens earn from scrapping or selling Russian military equipment will not be taxed.

Whether that's true, I don't know... but it should be.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
            She didn't say what the new sanctions will be .... But there are some indications .... No Russian ship is allowed in and I believe we get a small bit of oil from them ..... Plus all property owned by the Oligarchs is being identified .... To what end I don't know . Can't believe it might be confiscation but if they go that route it won't offend me ......
            The oligarchs abramovich is trying to offload his UK holdings. This needs to be stopped as clearly anyyone doing so is clearly part of a ruse and will more or less give the stuff back later.

if not screw profiteers. Seize the property outright now or even if its sells you bought it tough luck.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

There's a noticeable difference and slightly fresher air in many corners of teh intarwebnetz today as Russian troll farms, bots, and misinformation factories are either going unpaid or maybe being repurposed.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                There's a noticeable difference and slightly fresher air in many corners of teh intarwebnetz today as Russian troll farms, bots, and misinformation factories are either going unpaid or maybe being repurposed.
                Nobody has said much about COVID for a week now. The pundits have no spin on anything other than perhaps the State of the Union. This entire town is CHILL the last few days, kinda like it was in the 80's with fewer televangelists and Rasslin' on TV.
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

The Russian stock exchange might be still closed but major companies also trade on the London Stock Exchange ...... Large oil companies and banks down 75% to 90% and reduced to penny stocks ..... I imagine there are more than a few Oligarchs a tad on the pi$$ed side ....... At this rate Putin isn't going to be able to pay those soldier's salaries ...... I fuddle duddling love it ! ......
                  Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                  1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                    Putins election are truly fixed results...
                    Duh! Ya think?

Sorry, but you've got to admit, you set yourself up for that one. You feed me a line, I'm going to hit it out of the park. Yeah - another Sportsball reference!
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Waterloo

I'll make a bold prediction: This is the beginning of the end for Putin. It might take a month, it might take a year, but he's had it. The only question is how much of Russia, Europe, or the entire world will he be able to drag down with him.

Some points:

A couple of the oligarchs have already bailed on him. One was forced to sell his U.K. soccer sportsball team, and he publicly disassociated from Putin. (I'd guess he's 'overseas' somewhere, as opposed to actually being brave with his bodily health. He's a businessman, not a martyr.)

I can't think of any pleasant places that would offer him a comfortable retirement, the way Saudi Arabia did for Idi Amin. China? I wouldn't bet on it. Belarus? North Korea? Probably, if he can scrape up the entry fee, but I don't think he'd enjoy it. He's become so accustomed to electric lights. He would consider the Democratic Republic of Korea only as a last resort, if the sword was dangling overhead. Which I think it is.

I hear that The Hague might have a room for him, three hots and a cot. Heck, he'd even get his own blanket.

I was wrong in '89, of course, about China.
                      Last edited by Rob S.; 03-03-2022, 02:24 AM.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Here's something I didn't know, now things are making more sense (as if war ever does) Looks like Ukraine has a whole bunch of Lithium, they should send some to Putin.

Chinese and Australian investors had been lining up to explore for lithium, a metal that is critical to batteries and the world’s transition to clean energy.
                        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

When Germany invaded Poland the world went to war ..... The difference between now and then is Germany thought they could win it .... Putin is well aware that he cannot win a world war nuclear or conventional ..... But he is also well aware that the west just won't do it ...... But he has severely underestimated western unity and the willingness to pull out all the stops to cripple Russia's economy .....And we are doing it successfully ..... I think the solution will be how to let him out of this mess and save face ..... Though the consequences in this case are not WW 3 as was the case in the Cuban missile crisis there is a similarity in that a method of defusing the situation was contingent on Kruschev's ability to save face in the Kremlin ......
                          1983 GS 750

Comment

Though the consequences in this case are not WW 3 as was the case in the Cuban missile crisis there is a similarity in that a method of defusing the situation was contingent on Kruschev's ability to save face in the Kremlin ......
                            It depends on your viewpoint, the USA was the one that was allowed to save face over Cuba missile crisis. In order to have the Soviets remove their nukes from Cuba the USA first had to agree to move it's Nukes from Turkey, Khrushchev won. Khrushchev allowed Kennedy to save face by agreeing not to disclose the Turkish missile withdrawal.

Propaganda of the time made it seem like the US won the stand off and the Soviets backing off, at the time the public wasn't aware there were American nukes in Turkey. Not much different today with Russians hearing totally different version of events than we do, the Kremlin suppressing the reality of what's happening in the Ukraine.

1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

When Germany invaded Poland the world went to war ..... The difference between now and then is Germany thought they could win it .... Putin is well aware that he cannot win a world war nuclear or conventional ..... But he is also well aware that the west just won't do it ...... But he has severely underestimated western unity and the willingness to pull out all the stops to cripple Russia's economy .....And we are doing it successfully ..... I think the solution will be how to let him out of this mess and save face ..... Though the consequences in this case are not WW 3 as was the case in the Cuban missile crisis there is a similarity in that a method of defusing the situation was contingent on Kruschev's ability to save face in the Kremlin ......

I believe Putin severely underestimated world resistance to a Soviet takeover of Ukraine. He had/has no plan B for withdrawal and saving face, and now he is all in with his bridges burned. He knows he can over run Ukraine and occupy it, but he also knows he will not be able to hold it, and certainly not be able to return it to the Soviet conglomerate. He doesn't have the resources to do that. Every way I look at it, he is in a lose, lose position. He will not gain the resources of Ukraine. The truly frightening aspect is if he can not add Ukraine to the "fold", there is a high risk that he will take the stance of; "If I can't have it, no one else will either". He will level and burn the country to the ground and execute Ukrainians to teach the world a lesson. The Putin perspective is; you have a beautiful house and I have a crummy shack. I want equality. I will burn your house down. We have a madman. There is only one person in the world that wants Russian soldiers invading Ukraine. Not even the soldiers want to invade Ukraine. One guy holding the world at gun point.
                              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                                Exactly. What would YOU do? It's gotten a lot harder since the invasion. He's all in and it's going to be hard to "save face" backing out. (aka Vietnam, Afghanistan etc-long weary pustules leaking death with no result ).Right now, the outlook is that a change of leadership might jump off a tall-enough heap of bodybags or starved citizens and knock Putin down.

Win or lose the invasion, everyone's positions are hardened and the demands will include a "restored" Crimea which I doubt will happen in any Russia. I suppose they could "Pakistan","Czech-Slovak" or "Yugoslav" the contentious areas.
                                ...My wishful hindsight, but if these sanctions had been implemented when Russian troops went into Crimea and Donetsk.....the NATO question is very sad. Perhaps if Russia had joined the EU back in the honeymoon days....
                                Last edited by Gorminrider; 03-03-2022, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X