Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plastic underbody panels on cars... What are they good for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What they say.....
    Fuel economy
    Reduced kerbside noise especially diesels
    More difficult for road debris to take out aux belt and timing belt

They obviously catch tools when you drop them and can hide a fluid leak for longer that you might want.
    Eventually I fail to replace it on any car I have owned. More trouble than they are worth imho.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

A couple years ago I was out in the middle of nowhere in South Carolina and all of a sudden had this extremely loud noise and vibration. I thought the transmission had fallen out.

Turns out it was one of those panels, very large one. Had to rig it up somehow as a few clips were missing. I assume mechanics love them because it helps keep the engine and bolts free from corrosion.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
        They obviously catch tools when you drop them and can hide a fluid leak for longer that you might want.
        Eventually I fail to replace it on any car I have owned. More trouble than they are worth imho.
        Yah, the tool/part thing is a risk.
        But if the car is designed right, you should never have to mess with it, unless your doing something major.
        I've taken mine off once in two years of ownership, because I upgraded the intercooler.
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

What they say.....
          Fuel economy
          Reduced kerbside noise especially diesels

Yes the draw back with reduced plastic panels is increased cabin noise, I'll admittedly second that. Glad I'm not the only one that sees them as trouble.
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
            But if the car is designed right, you should never have to mess with it, unless your doing something major.
            I've taken mine off once in two years of ownership, because I upgraded the intercooler.
            I find it Funny that your Fiat is better designed under the belly than my Honda. I just talked to my boss about this (he has a Honda CRV) and has issues with them as well, both of use had to remove the bottom pan under the engine in order to perform an oil and filter swap. We both also have pitched ours right from the start because they ultimately fell out on use while driving in the snow.
            Truly glad you don't have issues.
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
              I find it Funny that your Fiat is better designed under the belly than my Honda. I just talked to my boss about this (he has a Honda CRV) and has issues with them as well, both of use had to remove the bottom pan under the engine in order to perform an oil and filter swap. We both also have pitched ours right from the start because they ultimately fell out on use while driving in the snow.
              Truly glad you don't have issues.
              Well, like I said, no snow for this car. But I lived most of my life in the north, and a couple cars with belly pans. Don't know.

As for oil and filter. The filter goes in from the top, and I use an oil extractor to remove the old stuff. Don't even jack it up.
              I use the extractor on all our cars now. The other two I can reach the filter without jacking them up.
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Had an 87 Dodge I bought in Santa Fe with a go-fast engine, the timing belt cover was left off to save weight. Sure enough, after a couple of months in the Michigan winter it jumped timing due to snow/ice build up.

Over the years I've had plenty of vehicles that have gotten hung up in deep snow and can'y say that a belly pan would have made much of a difference. Knowing me if my car had one, it would be left off in favor of convenience in servicing it in the future, then something like that would happen. One of the things I've learned from wrenching and having lots of family in the auto industry, a manufacturer isn't going to put the resources into making a part and putting it on without a good reason.
                Last edited by LAB3; 01-26-2022, 10:59 AM.
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

On many new cars in the last year or two, "fuzzy" underbody pans have started to appear, apparently for noise reduction. An absolutely abysmal idea for cars that are ever driven in rain, on dirty roads, in cold weather, etc. One of the more absolutely stupid and utterly doomed things I've seen in a while.

Obviously, you need things like fender liners and panels under the engine to keep spray off the belts, alternator, and suchlike. Some have useful hatches or openings to allow maintenance, but far too many require you to remove a dozen or more heavily corroded bolts just to do an oil change. If you take your car to a quickie-lube joint (horrors!), don't be shocked to find someone has hacked a hole into the belly pan, discarded the whole thing, or left out or stripped most of the bolts.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Reading all this & remembering back when there was almost "NO" plastic on an auto. inside or out, especially underneath...Back then at 100K it was time for an eng. overhaul, now just broke in good...Man how things have changed.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                      A couple years ago I was out in the middle of nowhere in South Carolina and all of a sudden had this extremely loud noise and vibration. I thought the transmission had fallen out.

Turns out it was one of those panels, very large one. Had to rig it up somehow as a few clips were missing. I assume mechanics love them because it helps keep the engine and bolts free from corrosion.
                      For some reason, many constructors manage to use three different types of fastener on them and inevitably grease monkeys get lazy or confused and by the second or third oil change the panel is a mish-mash of self tappers and other various bodges. I'm not surprised to see so many flapping about, drivers oblivious for the most part.

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                      You sound like our Citroen dealer. No tool kit? Why it's so reliable you'll never need it and so complicated it would be of no use anyway

Yes the draw back with reduced plastic panels is increased cabin noise, I'll admittedly second that. Glad I'm not the only one that sees them as trouble.
                      Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                      One of the things I've learned from wrenching and having lots of family in the auto industry, a manufacturer isn't going to put the resources into making a part and putting it on without a good reason.
                      You know those sites that tell you, in semi-conspiratorial tones, the real reason for such and such.....
                      Well some of them claim that the undertray primary function is to reduce noise, not in the cabin, but the noise as perceived by a pedestrian as required by EU regulations?
                      97 R1100R
                      Previous
                      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

So noise reduction or streamlining? Does anyone know if they are present on electric cars?
                        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                          So noise reduction or streamlining? Does anyone know if they are present on electric cars?
                          That's a great question! I know in Tesla the "belly" is mainly comprised of the storage area for the battery so my bet is it's made of a stronger plastic or some form of steel...
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

And for your viewing pleasure...

Looks like the plastic panel snapped, must have been on that -23' F morning on my ride to work last week...All plastic is brittle at those temps. Can't imagine how else it broke... Must have got snagged on snow when we got 4" yesterday on my way to work (roads were not plowed on my commute).
                            Now that the pavement is clear of snow and ice It's in essence the card in the spokes but far more annoying and obnoxious.
                            Smack dab in the middle of the car.
                            Last edited by Jedz123; 01-26-2022, 01:02 PM.
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

The car does have a plastic valve cover but I think that's it. Very much a Honda in the build quality around the engine and transmission.
                              Your the only one on the forum that has seen the mini beast tow with both of us in it...
                              Your truck is bad a$$ though...
                              That's right, one fat man and one corn fed VT farmboy pulling a loaded trailer with a Honda Fit in 40mph crosswinds- And getting 27mpg while doing it! Pretty awesome.
                              Currently bikeless
                              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Our Hoda Pilot has a full plastic rear bumper cover. This summer I noticed that the steel structure behind the plastic that is at least 25% gone from rot. I can only assume from the cover holding in snow / slush and the salt that comes with it. Around here they salt and brine to the point that when everything dries there is salt dust flying in the air on highways.
                                sigpic
                                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                                -Rusty old scooter.
                                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                                X