An ALL new internal combustion engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An ALL new internal combustion engine?

Let's see if this turns out to be something we see in real life. 160hp, 170ftlbs from a 35lb engine! Talk about having fun, imagine this in a Honda Cub frame!

1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

This is not that new, it's a newer variation on an older idea. It's never been so far as a halfway decent running prototype. I won't hold my breath just yet.

Comment

Right. Seems to go back to the early 2000's, and hasn't delivered yet. This is from early 2020:

Now comes the hard part: building and operating a proof-of-concept engine. I'm concerned about the lack of seals and lubrication of the rotors operating at relatively close tolerances, and I worry that parts exposed to varying amounts of heat will expand at different rates, causing interference. Exotic materials and tight tolerances can be budgeted into a pricey aviation engine, but can this be made to work on an automotive range extender budget? Color me intrigued and optimistic about the aviation engine's future, a bit more skeptical of its automotive prospects.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...y-technologue/
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

There's an awful lot of "Too good to be true" stories out there, thanks for clarifying!

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
          There's an awful lot of "Too good to be true" stories out there, thanks for clarifying!
          It would be one helluva powertrain.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Impressive. 1000 to 25,000 rpm, is that also the power band? Wondering what kinda transmission would work for vehicles.
            With that high an RPM, maybe it will be used as a 2 stage electromotive propulsion?
            That would greatly reduce battery size, and extend the range of electric vehicles.
            I keep thinking of questions.
            Use cleaner carbon fuels like: bio, propane, hydrogen?
            Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 02-02-2022, 01:25 PM.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Someone has to actually build one out of something other than a computer screen first.

I'm not sure why exactly the idea electromotive power hasn't been developed more than it has but my best guess is the Zero Tolerance purists won out on that one. Now if they where to band together they just might be able to get congress to finally change the laws of physics, that's a lot of palm greasing right there and we ALL know who controls the grease supply.

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                Someone has to actually build one out of something other than a computer screen first.
                Skip to the 9:00 mark. They show a running prototype.
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Oh I didn't see that, gave up after two minutes of cartoons. Need more data, give it to Dulcich and Freiberger to feature on Engine Masters!

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                    Skip to the 9:00 mark. They show a running prototype.
                    A few brief cement dumper like revs before a couple of exhaust flashes then vid cut. I wonder if something broke.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

What they need is a good spokesperson.

I hear that Elizabeth Holmes is available!.
                      sigpic
                      '77 GS550B
                      '78 GS550C

Comment

Turbines or turbine-ish engines like this in cars and other 2D vehicles has been something of a holy grail for a long time. Maybe they'll finally pull it off, maybe not.

The intermittent combustion thing is different. Throttle response has always been an issue with continuous combustion turbines, so maybe that helps solve it?

The article and video are positively jam-packed with brutal ignorance (no, reciprocating motion is not inefficient), so it's impossible to tell whether this version actually addresses the issues in a realistic way.

The biggest physical issue is, of course, heat. And I see things in this design like large rubber seal, roller bearings, and sliding components that do not work well with large amounts of heat, or bode well for longevity. And, as mentioned, different materials in very close contact. All the above can be addressed to some degree with exotic materials and higher-precision processes, but these are brutally expensive. Plus, this "35 pound" engine is going to require far more weight and space than that for cooling systems.

Still early days, so who knows... piston engines have been under intense development for over 120 years. But then again, turbines have been under intense development for 90 years or so. Maybe they're on to something with this mashup.
                        Last edited by bwringer; 02-03-2022, 10:24 AM.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                          A few brief cement dumper like revs before a couple of exhaust flashes then vid cut. I wonder if something broke.
                          And a very wet looking exhaust plume as well. No way that says efficient.

Comment

Working...
                          X