The Yugo???? Dude only repairs Yugos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
    Fiat 128 could be a really fun car. A Yugo should have been as well. Poorly made copy using inferior material. Even Fiats and BMWs of a certain age used quick rusting inferior Solviet Union steel. Had a girlfriend with a tricked out X-19 and a buddy had a hot rodded Fiat 128. I helped my brother do the front brakes on his Fiat 124 Spider. The discs were new from a Yugo dealer. Go figure.
    Fiat used Soviet steel? Did not know this.
    More anecdotes about the X-19 please. A car that should have been made much better.
    Thanks!
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post

Fiat used Soviet steel? Did not know this.
      More anecdotes about the X-19 please. A car that should have been made much better.
      Thanks!
      The story was that the Italian Govt did a deal with the SU for the old Fiat body line for the 124, which went on to become a Lada model. Instead of using hard currency reserves to pay for it, the SU paid in a barter arrangement using rolled steel, vodka, potatoes and grain.
      However, even though the story makes sense and certainly accounts for the utter rubbish quality steel used in various Fiat and Lancia models of the time, I've since been informed it never happened that way.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        I never owned one but from rumors I'd heard, always thought that "Reliable Yugo" was probable an oxy moron.
        Had a neighbor that for some reason had a thing for Yugos and Ford rangers???

Surprised the city never got on his case for several sitting around his property,
        He told me he worked as a union painter and his jobs were always at least fifty miles away and he got his first yugo because of good fuel mileage.

the one he drove the most was a white one, I took him to a place where he bought ecm? Computer for it.

he put it in and it ran great for about a month, same problem, so I went with him again to another place to get another computer ecm? For it.

.month later same thing happened, instead of getting another one...he put the original computer ecm? In and it ran great for a month....so he just kept them in vehicle and would just rotate the three....he did that for about a year...then he moved away...lol

still laugh about the time I seen a old Ford ranger across town with for sale sign in window, black rattle can primer on it.

one day the Yugo neighbor asked me if I'd call and offer the $300 for it.

I said why don't you call them and ask? He said he already did, said he offered them $500 over the phone, they were asking $800 ,they accepted his 500 offer.

so I did, we went over there and bought it for three...then I thought to myself If I'd known they'd take three hundred I'd bought it ? LOL

It smoked a little 2.3 four cylinder, he just parked in his yard with the other four he had...lol

Comment

Working...
        X