Honda ST 1100 in the garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
    Buddy has one I tied to buy for years. He finally had a west coast shop mount a sidecar. They added dual swingarms in place of the front forks. ????

Kinda like this

Some dirt out there on ST11/13 speed wobbles
    Honda ST1300 Speed Wobbles / Weaving? | ST1300 Related | ST-Owners.com
    Yeah, leading-link front forks are the hot poop for sidecar outfits, by all accounts.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
      I developed a love/hate relationship with mine.
      IMO, a sleek super slab sport tourer which sucks down interstates, ST's can be fun in the twisties (If the tank isn't too full) and get 50 MPG too. For a cheap touring bike you can best a ST1100. I was enamored with the ST when it was introduced in 1991.I owned my 92 St1100 for 12 years but used mine for commuting to work which the ST is not suited for. The candy glory red was the best color!

Some issues you already heard about.
      • 1991-95 models had charging issues. If I recall the 96 model incorporated an enhanced alternator which drops right in. alke46 could confirm
      • Most riders replace the stock seat because you slide forward when braking.
      • I put a K&N air filter in and never touched the carbs
      ST1100_3.jpg

Great buy & safe riding.

Steve
      Attached Files
      1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
      Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

I must have been lucky with mine as it never had any electrical problems. Charging was always good and battery life was good.

Agreed on the seat. Mine was aftermarket also.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post

IMO, a sleek super slab sport tourer which sucks down interstates, ST's can be fun in the twisties (If the tank isn't too full) and get 50 MPG too. For a cheap touring bike you can best a ST1100. I was enamored with the ST when it was introduced in 1991.I owned my 92 St1100 for 12 years but used mine for commuting to work which the ST is not suited for. The candy glory red was the best color!

Some issues you already heard about.
          • 1991-95 models had charging issues. If I recall the 96 model incorporated an enhanced alternator which drops right in. alke46 could confirm
          • Most riders replace the stock seat because you slide forward when braking.
          • I put a K&N air filter in and never touched the carbs
          ST1100_3.jpg

Great buy & safe riding.

Steve
          Cheers for the post....but if you are talking to me, I sold the bike in Ontario and flew home,
          But I have an update....this experience with the v4 ST has made me revisit the Honda VFR1200F....I really liked them when they came out but at the time they were out of my price range. The bike never sold well with new models staying on the sales floors for years.
          A lot of people jus didn't understand them...they sold a lot better in Europe ...it's a lot like my k1300r...didn't sell well here but did in Europe....they have way better tastes in motorcycle than we do imo.
          170hp, shaft drive, single sided swingarm

I found this one in Thunder Bay...3000kms away...I will fly and ride in a couple of weeks

No signature

Comment

Good on ya, buddy. Giving a warm, safe home to motorcycles regardless of make, model or serial number.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              Good on ya, buddy. Giving a warm, safe home to motorcycles regardless of make, model or serial number.
              Lol.....just doing my part
              No signature

Comment

Working...
              X