Honda ST 1100 in the garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda ST 1100 in the garage

Think some of you know that I grew up in SW Ontario....have family and friends there....last year I did my first motorcycle ride back there from BC...the total trip was around 10,000kms (6300 miles)
    I want to make it an annual trip but the cost and the time away is a lot....so I have been mulling around the idea of buying a cheaper touring bike to ride back to Ontario and leave it there with family and fly home....this way I could fly out a couple of times a year and have something to ride without having to spend so much time and money riding back in fourth....
    So yesterday a 1992 Honda ST1100 came up for sale 15 min from me....139,000kms...lol...timing belt was changed at 100k
    The bike has been wonderfully taken care of...the gentleman selling it has been dealing with Parkinson's and no longer feels comfortable riding.
    He's rode all his life too...sad really. I rode over on my Cooley to look at the bike and of course he said "I had a 1981 GS1100E...best bike I ever owned"!
    Well I bought it....came with lots of goodies too....nice Givi top case....new boots, two Joe rocket jackets and a nice gell Corbin seat.
    Not exactly my style but friends that have owned them sure do like them....should be a good bike to get me to Ontario
    Anyway, enough talk...here she is...
    Not bad for $1800cdn
    I cleaned her up today to apply for collector plates

Last edited by trevor; 06-25-2023, 11:42 PM.
    No signature

Nice find Trevor.

Are you sure that's a 92? I had one identical to that but it was a 93. I had to search long and far for the 93 because of it's color.

That bike would eat up hundreds of miles like it was nothing. And it was happy to do it all day at 90+ mph.

I had mine for 23 years before selling it in Arizona. Mine had 145,000 miles on it when sold. Same story with me, I left it in Az. at my sister's house so I could fly out in the winter and ride.

I could go on and on about it but since you didn't ask, then I won't. Enjoy the mileage eating machine.

edit: corrected the amount of time I owned it.
    Last edited by alke46; 06-25-2023, 11:45 PM.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
      Nice find Trevor.

Are you sure that's a 92? I had one identical to that but it was a 93. I had to search long and far for the 93 because of it's color.

That bike would eat up hundreds of miles like it was nothing. And it was happy to do it all day at 90+ mph.

I had mine for 27 or 28 years before selling it in Arizona. Mine had 145,000 miles on it when sold. Same story with me, I left it in Az. at my sister's house so I could fly out in the winter and ride.

I could go on and on about it but since you didn't ask, then I won't. Enjoy the mileage eating machine.
      Haha...please go on.
      Yep a 92
      No signature

Comment

I developed a love/hate relationship with mine. I loved the fact that you never have to do anything to it, but the hate part came when I had to remove all that tupperware and then once when I had to remove the throttle bodies to access the coolant lines. Mine developed a leak and of course once the v-4 engine is exposed, you find other stuff that needs to be looked at.

I also installed aftermarket electronic cruise control and wow, what a difference that made for cross country traveling. My longest trip lasted just over 5,000 miles, going down to the gulf coast and then back up through the southeastern US before returning home. Great trip and beautiful scenery.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Both "92" & "93" came in the Candy Glory Red, I'd looked it up, back when a couple I was riding with had one and I thought it was the same color as my "83" CB1100F. Very close, but the CB1100F was Candy Pearl Maui Red.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
            Think some of you know that I grew up in SW Ontario....have family and friends there....last year I did my first motorcycle ride back there from BC...the total trip was around 10,000kms (6300 miles)
            I want to make it an annual trip but the cost and the time away is a lot....so I have been mulling around the idea of buying a cheaper touring bike to ride back to Ontario and leave it there with family and fly home....this way I could fly out a couple of times a year and have something to ride without having to spend so much time and money riding back in fourth....
            So yesterday a 1992 Honda ST1100 came up for sale 15 min from me....139,000kms...lol...timing belt was changed at 100k
            The bike has been wonderfully taken care of...the gentleman selling it has been dealing with Parkinson's and no longer feels comfortable riding.
            He's rode all his life too...sad really. I rode over on my Cooley to look at the bike and of course he said "I had a 1981 GS1100E...best bike I ever owned"!
            Well I bought it....came with lots of goodies too....nice Givi top case....new boots, two Joe rocket jackets and a nice gell Corbin seat.
            Not exactly my style but friends that have owned them sure do like them....should be a good bike to get me to Ontario
            Anyway, enough talk...here she is...
            Not bad for $1800cdn
            I cleaned her up today to apply for collector plates

]
            The savings in tires alone will pay for the bike in 3 to 4 trips.
            Avoiding those murderous level TCH level crossings is a huge bonus.
            175 for gas round trip saved. It does add up fast
            This is episode 4 of my Pan European repairs series. In this episode I am continuing with the rebuild of the V4 engine after arrival of a pair of brown spec ...

check this series. There's actually an engine under all that bodywork.
            the 1300 version is supposedly on par with a k1300.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
              The savings in tires alone will pay for the bike in 3 to 4 trips.
              Avoiding those murderous level TCH level crossings is a huge bonus.
              175 for gas round trip saved. It does add up fast
              This is episode 4 of my Pan European repairs series. In this episode I am continuing with the rebuild of the V4 engine after arrival of a pair of brown spec ...

check this series. There's actually an engine under all that bodywork.
              the 1300 version is supposedly on par with a k1300.
              Yeah my thoughts exactly on the tire savings alone.
              thanks for the link, I’ll check it out
              No signature

Comment

Very nice bike Trevor, congratulations
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Nice Trev !
                  Looks really great condition.

Yah, bike in distant location is a great idea.
                  THat was my idea of having bike (BMW RT) in San Diego for 5 years and going there 2 -3 times a year. Biggest problem (other than the dern thing self destructing the first year) was that I only went there once a year. Did ride it home (and it self destructed again 1500 miles into the 2000 mile trip).

Did it come with a battery tender? If not, will want to get one to keep with the bike.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Nice bike and story trev,

Few days ago found this, not comfortable spending any money now, but this looks like a good deal

Comment

Congratulations Trevor on adding a Honda to your Susuki garage. Looks like an extremely clean motorcycle. Cheers

Comment

Took the Honda out today up Island for a couple of hundred kms....and I noticed it wanted to "wonder" at times....sure enough steering head bearings are notched.....not sure if I will or should be riding it to Ontario. I wanted to leave Saturday and won't likely be able get it fixed before then.
                        A buddy says it won't hurt anything more to ride it.....hmmm
                        No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                          Took the Honda out today up Island for a couple of hundred kms....and I noticed it wanted to "wonder" at times....sure enough steering head bearings are notched.....not sure if I will or should be riding it to Ontario. I wanted to leave Saturday and won't likely be able get it fixed before then.
                          A buddy says it won't hurt anything more to ride it.....hmmm
                          Yeah, it will be alright, It's a Honda. I wouldn't worry about it to much... In my opinion...

My biggest concern would be riding the Honda with a paper bag over your head with two holes to see out of !!!

My brother said "you should get a Goldwing" I said "Yeah, but where would I park it"! No Hondas in my garage! Lol

Just kidding folks...
                          Last edited by storm 64; 07-02-2023, 10:12 PM.
                          My Motorcycles:
                          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                          79 1000e (all original)
                          82 850g (all original)
                          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post

Yeah, it will be alright, It's a Honda. I wouldn't worry about it to much... In my opinion...

My biggest concern would be riding the Honda with a paper bag over your head with two holes to see out of !!!

My brother said "you should get a Goldwing" I said "Yeah, but where would I park it"! No Hondas in my garage! Lol

Just kidding folks...
                            Oh man that made me laugh! Glad you think it will be fine. I need to get it to Ontario as quick as possible and out of my garage!!!
                            No signature

Comment

Buddy has one I tried to buy for years. He finally had a west coast shop mount a sidecar. They added dual swingarms in place of the front forks. ????

Kinda like this

Some dirt out there on ST11/13 speed wobbles
                              Honda ST1300 Speed Wobbles / Weaving? | ST1300 Related | ST-Owners.com
                              Last edited by bonanzadave; 07-04-2023, 11:30 AM.
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                              X