No announcement yet.

Sold a Suzuki and bought a Honda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trevor, I’m at the same place with valve inspection on the Tiger. Dealer told me $900+ for the service which also includes air filter, plugs, coils, etc. And I thought that was too much. I bought the service kit for $174 and will do it my self. Last night I bookmarked the various areas in the service manual that I’ll need to reference and there are some good videos about. There is so much to remove just to get to the valve cover. Then, if any shims need changed, it’s cams out. A whole other can of worms. I’ve been procrastinating. I really have to get on it.

thanks for sharing the great pics.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Big Block View Post
      Ha, ha: Nothing makes me appreciate working on an old Suzuki like working on my Honda does either.
      Lol.....I must have said that a dozen times while doing this job! I'll never complain about working on my old bikes again... LOL
      No signature

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
        Trevor, I’m at the same place with valve inspection on the Tiger. Dealer told me $900+ for the service which also includes air filter, plugs, coils, etc. And I thought that was too much. I bought the service kit for $174 and will do it my self. Last night I bookmarked the various areas in the service manual that I’ll need to reference and there are some good videos about. There is so much to remove just to get to the valve cover. Then, if any shims need changed, it’s cams out. A whole other can of worms. I’ve been procrastinating. I really have to get on it.

Ha....A few years after I bought my '01 Triumph TT600, I had a valve gasket leak. Had to unbolt and lower the motor to get the valve cover off. Also needed to make a special tool for the motor mounts. I love Triumphs, but yah...sometimes it's tricky.
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post

You are welcome...yeah I have an actual shop manual which was a big help...and a guy from a vfr1200 forum did a great picture and walk through directions...we messaged back and forth a few times....we avoided some pit falls because he warned us....probably 12 hours straight just to check the valves and nothing else....same here if I needed the front shims adjusted...cams come out. Luckily they were good. A guy on a vfr forum said "heck with it, next time I'll just take the whole engine out"!
          No signature

Comment

The other thing we did besides take lots of pics was that I brought out a box of zip lock bags to label and put parts in....mage it way easier come time to put it back together....for the fairing alone lol
            No signature

Comment

Got it. I’ve taken the GS apart and put it back together a few times now. Big proponent of bagging and tagging parts as I go.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                OOOhhhh, Love the last Picture, you thought about this weeks Pic of the week?... Sure glad for the air filter !!!
                Haha....thanks but no thanks...not for me.
                Cheers
                No signature

Comment

Trevor, as always, a good read. Happy you got the bike sorted and it's a good looking bike. Always appreciate your attention to detail and taking the (to some unnecessary) extra step to get things the way you want them.
                  83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Hey Trevor, nice bike.

I've had to remove my tank on the Honda Africa Twin a couple of times (running wiring and cleaning out the fuel pump filter and replacing air filters) and it's a bit nerve racking taking all those plastic panels off hoping I don't break something, most videos I watched they actually took way more off than needed, I think on my third time I had the tank off in under 15 minutes versus about 2 hours the first time.

I just cleaned the carb on my Honda snow blower and the YouTube video I watched on how to remove the carb was in fact similar as the guy pulled way too much stuff off and said it wouldn't go back together if you didn't strip everything off, a little mild tweak of the shroud and I was able to avoid half the work he did, nice that guys are sharing their knowledge and taking the time to post videos but as always it's just a starting point. I'm determined to find a better/faster way.

Valve check, what's that? I'm not looking at mine till 50K at least.

That air filter was nasty, it is a wonder the bike ran well at all, how was it afterwards, did you notice any difference?

Ride on brother, BTW it's getting warm here this week, 15 degrees celsius yesterday, nice riding weather.

David.
                    2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                    2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                    1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                    2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                    1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                    1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                    1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                    Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

man it cleaned up nice. Its a honda best bikes ever made. Best cars too.
                      Therese a goodly number of those for sale at regular intervals at really good prices.
                      Alan Millyard did a bearing check on his and in the process it showed little wear but for one main.
                      The nest in the airbox was hilarious. I found a squirrel nest in my silverado intake last summer after dealing with severed wires due to a malicious rodent bastard.

Had a friend who borrowed his mons car. Not a daily driver sat for weeks at a time.
                      thing started throwing codes and acting bad. Got towed to a CT rip off auto centre and he got dinged 400 bucks cause they ran through a series of diagnostics when a check of the intake found a nest of dead baby squirrels. Oh the humanity!

1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Your first Honda? I know you're a Suzi fan, but I would think with the shear number of bikes you've owned, a Honda or three would have snuck into your garage. I mean, you meet the nicest people...
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                          Your first Honda? I know you're a Suzi fan, but I would think with the shear number of bikes you've owned, a Honda or three would have snuck into your garage. I mean, you meet the nicest people...
                          Lol...well my "first" bike was a Keystone mini bike with a 6hp Briggs and Stratton....then I got a Honda mini 50 monkey bike.....
                          I guess I should count the Honda ST1100 I bought this past summer to ride to Ontario to sell...My wife has owned a Honda Passport 70 for a number of years
                          No signature

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                            man it cleaned up nice. Its a honda best bikes ever made. Best cars too.
                            Therese a goodly number of those for sale at regular intervals at really good prices.
                            Alan Millyard did a bearing check on his and in the process it showed little wear but for one main.
                            The nest in the airbox was hilarious. I found a squirrel nest in my silverado intake last summer after dealing with severed wires due to a malicious rodent bastard.

Had a friend who borrowed his mons car. Not a daily driver sat for weeks at a time.
                            thing started throwing codes and acting bad. Got towed to a CT rip off auto centre and he got dinged 400 bucks cause they ran through a series of diagnostics when a check of the intake found a nest of dead baby squirrels. Oh the humanity!
                            Thanks,
                            I have not seen many....when I was searching there seemed to be only about 6-7 of them for sale across the country....and even less now....not surprising as no many were bought in the first place.....My cousin in Ontario just went through the same thing with his truck....lol
                            No signature

Comment

Working...
                            X