No announcement yet.

1992 GSX1100G project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photobucket is down right now, so I'll attach a side view pic with all the parts re-attached.

I need a better camera, the sunny side made it look orange. I think the Rustoleum red was a good match to the rest of the panels.

I'm going to shoot some HD video on it today since the weather is so nice.

Comment

Likes it

I like it and it turned out great. But I really like the V65 Sabre as well.
      How is it?Other than a little large and heavy?
      Greg
      sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
      2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
      Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
      '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

I thought I'd like the Sabre but I don't. Riding/handling it is a lot closer to my GS than the ST1100 was, but I think it is a combination of so much aggravation on the carbs and cooling system hoses, and now combined with the thing scraping the center stand making a u-turn on a divided highway. Seems like it is all the way up, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Even though I had a V65 guru go through the carbs, it is still really cold-blooded, but at least it's not leaking coolant on me like the ST1100 was.

I have an idea to sell it after I get some use out of it (return on investment ). I'll likely remove the Windjammer and put the old headlight back on.

On a happier subject, here is the GSX-G video from today I'm uploading to YouTube:

It is about 2 minutes long, it will take a while to upload & process.

I really like this bike. I like how it looks, I like how it sounds, and I like how it goes.

Comment

Photobucket pics:

Last edited by Guest; 01-27-2013, 08:45 AM.

Comment

One update, I was getting low oil pressure readings where I had the sender in one of the feed lines to the head. I moved it to the main oil galley plug (used a 16 x 1.5 mm adapter to 1/8 pipe and a 90 degree elbow) and it was making in excess of 100 PSI with cold oil at fast idle on the choke. At idle pressure was in the low 90's.

Comment

Now that a couple of months have gone by, the bugs are starting to appear. First was a clutch issue (there is another thread w/ details). Long story short, some of the pads on the disks had delaminated, but the root cause was the slave cylinder not releasing, causing slippage. I now have a Barnett clutch in it and one HD EBC spring with one OEM spring.

I noticed the horn was not working and traced the problem to mis-wiring on my part at the left control. After correcting that, it was still intermittent, and I lost all power for the lights circuit (where the horn is powered). Checking fuses, the 10A one for this circuit was not making a good connection- and none of them really were due to corrosion. After evaluating replacing the top fuse part, which would still leave the crusty terminals, I decided to use a 4-gang aftermarket panel like I did on the blue GS1000. These are common parts, and have rear terminals that can be crimped & soldered. The GSX-G has 4 circuits, so this is a good fit.

To use this part, I made a custom bracket that bolts onto the bracket where the OEM fusebox was. I used some heavy gauge steel and bent/cut/ground/welded/trimmed it until I had a good shape. It's supported at the opposite end using the bracket I made for the fuel pump relay I never used. I'll cut the power wires one pair at a time and add them to it.

I also found a bracket on the forks that was rubbing at full left turn and modified it.

I hope to be able to put some miles on it as the weather improves.

Pics will follow.

Comment

Bike looks great.
                83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

I like this project and how you deal with problems.
                  sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Here's a very belated update, the bike suffered a cam failure due to one of the oil jets being blocked. Due to the slave cylinder hanging up, the clutch disks delaminated and got into the oil system. To repair it, I bought a used Bandit 1200 head with cams. To clear the oil jets, you need to split the cases- in my case, the jet that was plugged was the one from the crankcase to the cylinder. I found a lot of crud in the oil pan when I took it apart.

I ran into some problems fitting the cylinder back on but finally figured it out and am now working on buttoning everything back up. I'll try to post another video when it is running.

Comment

Wow. Sorry to hear that. Glad you are keeping after it.

Comment

Good to hear that you are fixing it. Don't forget to check the cam chain length.
                        Laters
                        G
                        sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                        2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                        Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                        '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

This project has had some ups & downs lately. I'm on the up side now. The Bandit head had a broken bolt I could not drill out & I made it worse. I found a used GSX-G head and used it along with the Bandit cams- perfect fit.

Now for the down part, I read the manual when adjusting the valves & misread the diagram- it looked like 1-4 left to right as expected, but it was 4-1 (the diagram was not marked for cylinder # or front/rear). This made #1 & #4 too loose, a lot of clatter. After rechecking & re-reading, I saw my mistake (and labeled the manual accordingly). Putting the valve cover back on, I knocked the rubber seal under #2 spark plug loose and found no valve noise & a huge oil leak. I consulted the new GSX-G forum (www.gsx1100g.us) and a member there pointed out the problem.

I now have all the plastic back on and will reinstall the tank in the morning. I'm looking forward to riding it again.

After this one is operational, I need to fix the oil leak on my maroon 1000G and get back to work on the fuel injection project.

Comment

Working...
                          X