No announcement yet.

My new project!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unlaced both rims from the XL and took them to the powdercoater. Gonna strip the lights and do a '70s dirt bike thing. If I don't go original and skip the lights and guages and such, I'm thinking I can end up with a pretty nice dirt bike for about $1000. It won't be light or fast or stop like a new one, but it'll still be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
      I'd cafe/rat it...
      Would make a great cafe bike.

DITTO

Fun project

Comment

Desert sled desert sled!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Mark View Post
          Desert sled desert sled!!!
          DITTO!

I won't do any cutting on the frame, so it can go back on the street at any time. Just gonna leave off all the street stuff. Like we would have done back in the day. Ride it to work all week, strip the lights and go motocrossing on the weekend. The only thing that will be modified is the exhaust and front rim. But now, that rear fender looks kinda long, and all those tabs on the frame are kinda ugly............
          Last edited by Guest; 11-18-2012, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Make it a tracker!

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
              DITTO!

I won't do any cutting on the frame, so it can go back on the street at any time. Just gonna leave off all the street stuff. Like we would have done back in the day. Ride it to work all week, strip the lights and go motocrossing on the weekend. The only thing that will be modified is the exhaust and front rim. But now, that rear fender looks kinda long, and all those tabs on the frame are kinda ugly............
              needs a CL scrambler high pipe, big trials universals (mostly this), fork brace?, and yeah a cut down rear fender would be appropriate

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Mark View Post
                needs a CL scrambler high pipe, big trials universals (mostly this), fork brace?, and yeah a cut down rear fender would be appropriate
                Got the CL high pipes already. Planning to lenghten them after cutting off the rusted out mufflers. May go with the trials tires when the time comes. I like the fork brace idea, but I'm first gonna see if the 21 will fit under the stock fender. May go searching for another rear fender to cut off. I also like the flat-tracker look, but those are normally meant to ride on the street, and I don't need another street bike. There is an off-road park just a few miles from my house and I've never been there. I'm going dirt-biking! I should probably figure out where to tie on a tow strap. This thing is 40 years old.
                Last edited by Guest; 11-18-2012, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Lengthen the pipes and put "Snuff or Nots" in them.

Site dedicated to motorcycle restoration, seat repairs and restoration, recovering services, DIY Seat Cover Kits, stock and after-market custom parts sales, stock and custom decals and logos and motorcycle sales.

Or some VW bug exhaust tips. Used to see that all the time on 305 and 350 scramblers.

I have to hand it to you for taking that on. Way to rough for me.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Sometime next year, this could be me!

Comment

Ok I'm in, not sure how I missed this one... found ya' from Sci's thread...
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I've got both rims and drums pc'd black. Next step is new wheel bearings, then ss spokes. The wheels are a big part of the budget on this. Looks like +-$200 each before tires. But the only other major things will be pc'ing the frame and tires. I'll spray bomb the tank, and I've already glass beaded some of the chrome stuff. It looks pretty good. Not sure about the corrosion factor. Don't know how much chrome I took off.

Comment

But the only other major things will be pc'ing the frame and tires.
                          What color you going to powdercoat the tires?

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            What color you going to powdercoat the tires?
                            Why, I oughta.............

Comment

Why, I oughta.............
                              Well, go ahead.

Just going by what YOU posted.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

But the only other major things will be pc'ing the frame and tires.
                                But the only other major things will be pc'ing the frame, and tires.

There, fixed it. And to think I actually did take English in college.
                                Tough crowd.

Comment

Working...
                                X