Like a hole in the head...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post

Pete, here's a pic of one just like the one I'm getting.

Just like it before or after you work your magic on it?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      Larry, i have owned a bunch of those little beauties.
      They like to rev but really don't go anywhere.
      www.sohc4.net is an excellent website if you run into any troubles.
      Check the frame where the side stand attaches. Water/condensation can collect there and compromise the frame. I had a '75 that i found on its side thinking it had sunk into the asphalt...turned out the frame was actually broken.
      Thanks for the tips, Steve. They do like to be "whipped". 7-10 grand is where they like to sing. I had one back in the late 70's and early 80's, raced it, rode it daily and it was a lot of fun. If I remember right they'll do about 105mph before they run out of steam, but they are definitely sewing machine smooth in their delivery. The SOHC site is a great source of info, for sure. I visit there quite often. If we think members here (in general) are cheap, those guys take the prize, though. I posted all my finished paint jobs on the Services Offered section, got 8,000 hits and many, many positive remarks, but only netted 3 clients. This site's members supported me like no other source I've ever had.
      1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Just like it before or after you work your magic on it?
        Ha ha! After..
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Can't wait to see it. You have good lighting in that outhouse?

Comment

The small shop I have here is actually really nice. It's insulated, sheet-rocked, concrete floor and heaters in 2 walls with overhead lights. It would be perfect for doing paint in, but the exhaust fan would blow the fumes right into the neighbors back yards, windows, and doors..not good. I'll at least be able to work on it inside this winter.
            1979 GS1000S,

Comment

How well have you gotten to know these neighbors? Maybe not a big deal if they know what your doing. And maybe just one of them may need a car door redone or something. I have gotten away with lots after doing some freebies here and there for the neighbors. Grease the palms and they turn off their phones!!!!
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Cool Larry, that's the one I was thinking.

You just need some good filter material in front of the exhaust fan
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                  Cool Larry, that's the one I was thinking.

You just need some good filter material in front of the exhaust fan
                  Ya know, Pete, I'm checking into making some activated charcoal filters. I've heard from some very reputable painters lately that you can make a narrow box the same size of the fan with screens on either side, fill it with the charcoal and it practically eliminates the fumes going through it..hmmm..might be worth looking into. I think I could get away with doing one every now and then possibly if that works. I'll try it with the 400, as a guy doing some hobby work in his back yard , and if no one complains, maybe expand my horizons a bit.
                  1979 GS1000S,

Comment

I was thinking you could have the exhaust go out through a vent in the the wall, then run a garden sprinkler so it sprays over where the exhaust comes out. A fine sprinkler, more like a mist. It seems like all of the paint would get caught in the water and fall in the grass or gravel below. Grass is good because once you mow it the paint is gone. Dunno, never tried it but that was my plan. I'm sure the EPA would not approve but it might work well enough for home hobbyist occasional usage.

Now I just shoot paint outside early in the morning before the bugs and neighbors wake up.

Comment

My brother had one of those 400/ 4's supersport he loved it . I never rode it , but I always thought that the exhaust was really cool for being a factory system. I do know where here locally there is a mint Honda 350 / 4cyl that can be had pretty reasonable I think I believe it can be had for around $ 2K-2500.I have some pics of it , I listed on here a couple years ago but no interest was shown.
                      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Tkent02, that's an interesting concept, too. Regulators in Idaho are much more lenient then Washington. We built a really nice spray booth in my buddie's shop in Spokane, put a really expensive explosion-proof exhaust fan in, nice lights and heat..used it one time, and the neighbor turned us in to the EPA who were there in a heartbeat to shut it down because it wasn't zoned for painting..argh. A $3,000 investment out the window. He now starts tomato plants in it. What a waste.
                        Last edited by nvr2old; 07-22-2013, 11:06 PM.
                        1979 GS1000S,

Comment

I kick myself for selling my cb4 I found in a shed, side pipes in tact and all. Too many projects and it needed a full restoration

I'm sure you can rig up a charcoal filter setup, grab some high micron furnace filters, shove some charcoal filters between in a plastic storage bin and I bet no one will even know you are painting in there.
                          1984 GS550ES
                          Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
                          4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

Sounds like a plan to me Larry!

I'm hoping to get some good proper paint booth filter material for mine. Apparently if you use the right stuff you won't even get a whiff of fumes out the exhaust fan.

I figure if I have one filter before the fan and one after, it should be good to go.

My shed plan includes lots of insulation and hopefully sealed up properly too, so I think I'll be ok... noone dobbed me in when I sprayed in the garage so fingers crossed it'll be all good! Just wish I could get started on it...
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Well, the bad news is, I won't be able to pick up the 400F till after the 6th of Aug. The seller, a good friend of mine, just won't be able to bring it to me before then. He's traveling till then.. The good news is, I do at least have a couple of pics of it. Just makes me want it more. Surprise..it's a blue one..cool..love this color.

A little rash on the engine cover. Should clean up.

Ugly aftermarket muffler. It's the first thing to go. I have a line on a nice reproduction one just like the original..pricey, but correct. The headers are in great shape..whew.

I can't wait to dive into this little beauty. It runs like a top..just gotta make it pretty again.
                              1979 GS1000S,

Comment

David Silver's in the UK sell's a lot of CB400F part's, including the muffler. Bought one of these brand new in the 70's, one of the best bikes I rode, would show up bigger bike's in the tight corners.

Comment

Working...
                                X