No announcement yet.

Like a hole in the head...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to see the arrival Larry, now I'm looking forward to what you do from here
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      You are welcome, Larry.
      In '77 the third and last year they built these little gems they got rid of the rearsets and added taller bars. Amazing what a difference those two little things made.[not in a good way, imho]
      That's exactly why I always thought the '75 was the best year, too. Those small changes really make a difference in the value, too, strangely enough. Never really liked the paint scheme on the '77 either.
      1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        You are welcome, Larry.
        In '77 the third and last year they built these little gems they got rid of the rearsets and added taller bars. Amazing what a difference those two little things made.[not in a good way, imho]
        Hey, Steve..check this out..the friend that sold me the 400, Tobin Peever, was born in the same city you live in. I sent him the pics of the parts you gave me and told him you were from Ontario..he asked where, and sure enough..small world, eh..?
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Larry, that is almost spooky.
          I have lived here for 45 years and belong to the local Vintage Club. I wonder if we have any common acquaintances or has been gone for a while?
          Great that you have the tool kit, tray and lid. Finding nice ones are tough.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I know..weird, huh? Tobin's been in Washington for awhile. He's a college professor in Pullman at Washington State University. He got a big kick out of the coincidence, too. The 400 is very complete, right down to the original tool kit, so I'm pretty stoked about the whole thing. Started cleaning up the engine cover tonight. The dents came out real well, and after tapping out the low spots from behind and filing now I'm down to finish sanding and polishing. I'm hoping the few pits that are left will come out with sanding, but if not, no biggie. It's still WAY better then the one I have..

1979 GS1000S,

Comment

You know the old proverb.."every journey begins with the first step.."

From this..

To this..

Seems like such a tiny thing to post about, but I was pretty happy with the results. It's also a reminder not to think about the crazy amount of time it takes to do these little tasks. That engine cover costs $45 new. I spent 4-5 hr.s (including the lower stator case) filing, sanding, polishing and repainting it. Easier and more cost effective to replace, but where would the fun be in that..?
              Last edited by nvr2old; 08-18-2013, 08:54 PM.
              1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                You know the old proverb.."every journey begins with the first step.."

From this..

To this..

Seems like such a tiny thing to post about, but I was pretty happy with the results. It's also a reminder not to think about the crazy amount of time it takes to do these little tasks. That engine cover costs $45 new. I spent 4-5 hr.s (including the lower stator case) filing, sanding, polishing and repainting it. Easier and more cost effective to replace, but where would the fun be in that..?
                Not bad for a rookie.

Comment

Nice one Larry, and I'm with ya'... no satisfaction in just buying a new one...

sigpic

Comment

If you keep your attention to detail level at that level until the bike is done it will be one Hell of a nice 400.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks, tkent..I always try to set the bar high for myself right from the get-go, so that way you "shame yourself" into following through with the rest of it.. Other then the body work and paint, I'm thinking these parts were the worst. The rest of it should just be major cleaning, polishing all of the aluminum and repainting sections of the frame. Don't really wanna pull the motor, but it will probably have to be done to do it correctly..we'll see.
                      1979 GS1000S,

Comment

I had originally thought I would restore this bike to factory original..until..I set this Ducati 750SS tail section on it. Is it just me, or does this part scream to be modified to fit this bike..?

It fits the width of the frame perfectly. Either needs to be notched around the stock tail light to lower the rear or another smaller light used. Stock rear fender would be retained.
                        1979 GS1000S,

Comment

It does indeed Larry!

Just notch it like I did with my tail piece, not a lot of work to make it to fit by the looks...

sigpic

Comment

Plan it thru so the Duc parts will retro fit and NOT compromise the original frame and seat hinges..that way, the bike can be switched back to either the OEM or Café style by just swapping body work.

I think that what I would do anyways....the OEM original bike is worth saving in my opinion.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                              I had originally thought I would restore this bike to factory original..until..I set this Ducati 750SS tail section on it. Is it just me, or does this part scream to be modified to fit this bike..?
                              It certainly looks like it wants to be there. I'd go for it.

Comment

Actually with the original fender on there it looks stupid. IMHO.

Looks great without it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                                X