Another BMW K100 followed me home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
    That might work if you made up some bigger cones to hold the wheel. I think the center hole is about 2" in diameter.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I think I will be using the Dyna beads. I like the idea and I have never used them so its time to give them a try. Look easy enough to install and then nothing on rim to catch dirt. I did send them an email about how many to use.

Comment

I use the tire beads with success.

If you have a heavy truck shop around you can get a sack full of beads for under $10.

Comment

Some tires need almost no balancing, some need a lot… Yokohama car tires almost always need none, Shinko bike tires are made by Yokohama, maybe they are pretty ewell balanced? Don't know, only bought one set, they didn't need any weight.

What tires are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
            I use the tire beads with success.

If you have a heavy truck shop around you can get a sack full of beads for under $10.
            Tank, which diameter beads do the truck tires use?

Comment

IIRC, Dogma uses them in his bike.

Comment

regarding the HF wheel balancer: The cones are too long to be pointed at each other and hold the BMW wheel. Assuming my '96 is the same as an '85. You could cut one of the cones shorter. I just used a large 1/2 socket that fit tight into the right side of the wheel, then used a cone pointed away from the wheel to hold the socket. Used the left cone in the normal way.

I am sure there is some BMW adapter that costs big $.

Michelin claims that their tires are balanced from the factory. I balanced my rim, then installed the tire. I checked the balance of the tire and rim, it was fine.

You are right on about rubber parts. They cost like they are made of aluminum. It's a little hard to take compared to the price of Suzuki rubber.
                Last edited by Guest; 01-10-2014, 02:14 PM. Reason: Added comments on tires

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Tank, which diameter beads do the truck tires use?
                  Doesn't say bead size on the package but it's a package designed for one heavy truck tire containing a valve stem and cap and 10oz of beads for $7.99.
                  Brand is dyna beads by innovative balancing.

Comment

OK, would you guess they are about 1mm in diameter?

That's what they sell for bikes. It doesn't matter as long as they fit through the valve stem. Actually with tubeless tires you can throw them inside the tire before it goes on the wheel, but it's a PITA.

Comment

I got 20oz of the Dyna beads so I am good for a bunch of tires and my rims will be easier to clean. I was surprised that the rims were as dirty as they were considering its a shafty and there is no spedo drive on the front wheel.

I got the new tires mounted today so I will install them as soon as I get the new bearings on the triple and rebuild the forks. I guess I will put in as much weight as I pulled off. I think these 2 K100's will be the only BMW's I play with.

I like my Suzuki's. They are quiet, fuel efficient, pick a line and it holds it and they don't get blown around on the highway and have very little vibration. Most of all, my 80 1000E is super comfortable. Even with the 34y.o. stock seat I can ride the thing all day and I have.

Comment

As a fellow K-bike owner I'm loving this thread. It's fun to see an old K getting some love. I agree with the other posters about the RS fairing being amazingly effective.

Good luck with the rest of your project. You're right about BMW parts prices being pretty steep but at least you can still get them.

Comment

Chris, did you replace your fork seals yet? I am in the process of rebuilding/cleaning the forks and I am at a loss to find the retaining clip for the fork seals or get them removed.

Comment

Today I got the rear main seal pulled, there has been some discussion on a different forum if I got the correct replacement so I have not installed the new one yet.
                            New seal

Old seal

I am also waiting for a bunch of new parts to get to me so I wont be making any real progress until I get my parts. I did get the new head bearings installed and I got the triple trees installed last night.

Comment

are both seals in the picture showing the same face, or is one turned one way and the other the other way ? could be just an updated version of the seal ? are the part numbers the same on both ?

Comment

Well the new seal is an updated part but the numbers on the packaging do not match what the parts fiche have. So either someone put the seal in the wrong packaging or the parts fiche are missing a number. I don't think the later would be the case. MAX BMW is pretty spot on with their part numbers. The size on the seal is correct but when I put the number on it in the parts finder it comes back with no match. So I would rather verify its correct than put it in and then have to pull it when I find out it is incorrect. I guess this is common on the airheads. So now I get to play stump the dummy for a while

Comment

Working...
                                X