No announcement yet.

Another BMW K100 followed me home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been away from the project for some time now and I finally got the time to get some final things done. I filled and checked all the fluids and made sure there was new lube in the diff, trany, and engine. I also filled up the anti-freeze so I know that at least that has new stuff. I have been thinking about the problem with the rear view mirror falling off with a good jolt is I have engineered what I hope will be a viable solution. On my snowmobiles they mount the rear view mirrors with a threaded rod and spring on the back side so if you hit something it lets the mirror lay back against the hood and all you have to do is snap it back upright and it goes back in place. I figure this should work on the bike as well. I drilled a hole in the thickest part of the mirror housing and I put a cable through it. I also drilled a hole through the mount. On the back side I put a spring, washer and cable clamp. Here are all the parts I used.

I got it all at the local hardware store and I think I spent 5 bucks in all. The end of the cable is secured with a cable crimp and you just hammer it tight then I used a screw driver to make sure it was clamping well.

I used springs that are not the stiffest so they should have some give in them and not brake the mirror if it gets hit. I think it should work great. Now I will be taking the bike out side for the first time and firing it up so keep you fingers crossed it starts. I will also be syncing the throttle bodies.
    I also got the seat mounted, not so sure I like it but time will tell if I go back to the stock one of keep this corbin on the bike.

Comment

It lives, I just got took it outside and after a few moments of cranking it fired right to life. It sounds great and it didn't require much choke at all and no choke a few minutes after that. I synced the throttle bodies and the thing idles like a champ. I did notice that when you rev it up the levels are not even.
      One thing that has changed is the bike is not charging and it did before I tore it down. Any suggestions where I should start to fix that problem? I do not have the gauges on the bike yet. My father just got home and I will be calibrating the spedo on monday. I will post the link to the youtube video of the 2nd start later tonight.

I figured out the not charging thing. It turns out in BMW's infinate wisdom, there is a charge light in the gauge cluster that the system must sense extinguish before the computer will tell the alternator to start making electricity. So I figure that once I get the cluster re-installed my charging problems will magically correct themselves.

Comment

I did find that the ignition is a little flaky. I have to turn the key just right so the lights are on brightly or the bike does not want to start. Once its in the right spot it fires right up with no problems. So I will be getting a new ignition in the near future.

I got it all put together and took it out for it's maiden ride. I have to tell you it is very very nice ride. With the progressive springs in the front and progressive shock on the rear it rides like my friends new Harley. It holds the road very nicely and corners very well. I have also installed a fork brace so that might help it handle better than stock. I did notice that it is a little buzzy but I really think that that could be addressed if I set all those compensation screws the same and adjust the butterfly valves. When I synced the throttle bodies I did notice that they are not all even at around 5000 rpm so I am assuming that that is the cause of some of the buzz. But I will be putting some miles on the bike before I mess with it any further. I am very pleased with how the bike turned out and I do appreciate all the help I have received from members on this forum. Next will be to see how far off the spedo is and deal with a flaky LED in the cluster. So here are some pictures of the first ride. I did decide that I will definitely be looking for a different seat. I really do not like the way this one holds me put and I can't move around at all. I will also be looking for some highway pegs.

Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2014, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X