No announcement yet.

Building/equipping a workshop/garage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, it's not "done" yet, but then, is any project ever completely done?

Had a minor setback waiting for the contractor to get here to give an estimate for completing the plumbing and installing the driveway. I had asked for him to price it two ways: one with concrete driveway, the other with asphalt. Of course, he only priced it one way, the more-expensive way. He also did not talk to me before giving me the quote, as I had some stuff I needed to talk to him about, to see whether he could/would do it. Since I had no idea whether the bid included that stuff, I have asked him to come back, re-measure the project and make sure the 'extra' stuff is detailed in the bid. He has come back, we have talked about all the details, now I need to re-lay the string that will define the driveway and sidewalks. It has been a bit wet here, today is the first day I have been able to get out there to lay some string.

INSIDE, though, is a different matter.

This is what it looks like this afternoon:

The Wing is in there to make sure it's up for a ride with the Wing Group next weekend. Yes, it finally made its way out of the garage for the first time this year on July 1.

The bike in the middle is a '79 850 that is a recent acquisition by a newer GSR member. He is coming up occasionally to help work on it and do some learning in the process. The bike on the right is an Intruder that belongs to a friend of mine. Doing a tire change and valve adjustment on it.

It will take the automatic payroll deductions on another check or two before I can get the workbench and drawers that will go on the left side of the picture (between the camera location and the entry door). To the right of the door is the half bath, still in framing state, waiting for the plumber. The shelves that can be seen past the Wing are where the Snap-On tool box will live, once it makes its way out here. Need to get all the plumbing (and vents) installed to finish off that wall before the tool box comes out. The "bench" across the back is just some OSB paneling spread across some saw horses, but I had to have some place to get some work done. All of the steel shelving along the right wall was free, from one of the hospitals where I work. The wood shelving came out of the shed that used to occupy the space where the shop is now.

There are still some holes in the ceiling, waiting for more lights from another of the hospitals. They are upgrading all their fluorescent lights to LEDs, I am getting some of the ones they are pitching in the process.

Hoping to get the driveway laid out this week, work might re-commence an a couple more weeks.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You've got to watch out for those contractors. Perhaps one of the benefits of living in a dense area is that there is always more than one place to go.

My regular contractor said my rear deck could not be saved, not a single plank. $22,000 for a new one.

A family friend looked and asked, "What do you want? A pressure wash and re-finish?"

He re-used a few beams and estimated $5,900 for a new deck. It came out to a little over 6k.

And yes, I asked him to build it upside down.
      Attached Files
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        And yes, I asked him to build it upside down.
        Strong nails, though.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
          Steve, How is the garage project coming along.......everything up and running?
          Still missing the plumbing and the driveway, but stuff is happening inside.

If you refer to the picture a couple of posts before this, this bench is under the window in front of the Wing,

and these benches are at the far left, where the wood is leaning against the wall.

Now I need to start deciding what I am going to stash in the drawers and what to keep on the shelves.
          The rest will be heading upstairs until I need it.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Very nice! Really like that larger work bench.

Comment

It's actually two six-foot benches end to end.

I was doing some work at our church today. Picked a stainless shelf out of the trash. They are doing some remodeling in the washrooms and removed this shelf in the process. I am in the park across the street from the house, listening to an oldies concert. When I get home, I'll get a picture of it.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

OK, concert is over, got the pictures.

From a front angle:

from the side:

It's not quite as long as the back panel (5 ft. vs 6 ft.) and it's 6 inches deep, I think it will work quite well.

(The concert was Phil Dirt and the Dozers.)

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Looks good, how does it affect the built in light? Kind of looks like it may hinder the way it hits the work surface. Depending how much it is needed would be my only concern.

My current garage has a small shelf over the work bench and it.is very handy. One thing to consider would be a small lip of some sort to keep things from rolling off.

Did those drawers come with or are they just a tool cart?

Comment

Awesome work bench set up!

Comment

Steve, I'm waiting for the official open house shop party. Surely something I would be interested in riding to. Perhaps later this fall or next spring?
                      My Motorcycles:
                      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)
                      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                        Steve, I'm waiting for the official open house shop party. Surely something I would be interested in riding to. Perhaps later this fall or next spring?

I hope it fits into my schedule too..
                        We can have a live demonstration on tinkering advanced level 3 - Valve Shims & gaskets
                        Currently in the Stable :
                        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Slycox View Post
                          Looks good, how does it affect the built in light? Kind of looks like it may hinder the way it hits the work surface. Depending how much it is needed would be my only concern.
                          The shelf does cast a bit of a shadow at the very back of the bench, but I think it will be rather tolerable. I may have some small stuff stashed at the back, there will certainly be enough light to see it.

One thing to consider would be a small lip of some sort to keep things from rolling off.
                          That is something I would have to fabricate, but it's not out of the question. Right now, I am thinking that the 'stuff' on the shelf will be more along the lines of spray cans and small boxes of parts that are being used in the current project. Stuff that might roll will probably remain on the main surface (which doesn't have a lip, either ).

Did those drawers come with or are they just a tool cart?
                          The drawers are an option that is available with the frame and bench top assembly. The options were: a 3-drawer module (larger drawers), the 5-drawer module that I got, or a 3-shelf module. With the shelf module, you could get an optional locking door. On the 6' bench (what I have), you can put a drawer module at either end. If I had gotten the 8' bench, I could have put drawers at both ends, but two 6' benches fit my space better. They are firmly attached to the assembly, but the space on the right end (behind the entry door) is reserved for a cart that can carry parts and/or tools to the project.

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                          Awesome work bench set up!
                          Thanks. It has taken a LONG time to get this dream to reality, I am doing my best to make it worth the wait.

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                          Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post

I hope it fits into my schedule too..
                          We can have a live demonstration on tinkering advanced level 3 - Valve Shims & gaskets
                          Yeah, I hope that I can make it to the open house, too.

We are currently at a financial stand-still. When that is resolved, we will proceed with the plumbing and driveway, THEN we will work on scheduling the open house.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Just took some time to read through this. That is a sweet workshop. It will all come together eventually. Nice job!

Comment

Thanks. You will have to come on down with Wingsconsin for the open house.

The more 850s around here, the merrier.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
                                Just took some time to read through this. That is a sweet workshop. It will all come together eventually. Nice job!
                                Originally posted by Steve View Post
                                Thanks. You will have to come on down with Wingsconsin for the open house.

The more 850s around here, the merrier.

Next spring (spring in Wisconsin - not oHIo) we could make this ride together ...

I gotta buy some shims soon ...
                                Currently in the Stable :
                                2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                                1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                                - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Working...
                                X