No announcement yet.

2008 Suzuki GSX1340BK B-King, Daily Rider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JR Vermont is a weird spot, Hell Vert-Mont is french for Green Mountain which was coined by our Canadian forefathers and we hold on to a few of our Canadian terms. we can't quite distinguish where are roots are, New England? New York? Canada? Ahh who cares we just plain ole' Green mountain boys. But door Yard is one of those terms I've heard and used my whole life.
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

B King Andy died in an accident a couple of years ago, but his videos are brilliant.

"Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Thanks for the Share 1150! Shame about B-King Andy. I just watched his tribute video. At least he went doing something he loved.
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

So Since this thread is about the things I do to my B-king I did my first project on my machine. My bike came with allot of after market goodies which is awesome however it came with one that I wasn't too excited. Bike came with a Lo-Jack. Not sure if everyone know about these devices but a Lo-Jack is a radio transceiver that alerts the authorities via radio waves where your machine is located in the event it has been stolen. Good thing? Yes but at a cost for the device pulls a pretty significant draw and will kill your battery in about 3 days.

Now I seriously considered keeping the Lo-Jack (for it's cheaper to insure the bike) so I called to re-register the system under my name. I didn't give them too much information but told them I lived in Vermont and was curious if they offered coverage in my area. Well with how rural VT is and geographic (Many mountains) Lo-Jack didn't offer any protection for my motorcycle. So I asked if I could just remove the device. They said yes but only their mechanics were authorized to remove the device and the location of the device was classified. So I though ok no problem where can I bring it in? they told me in CT or NY but I would have to pay $90 removal fee plus another $90 fee for something else and I could get the Lo-Jack removed for $180... That seemed weird and told them sure I'll call you back... Never did.

So in the sake of saving $180, a 5 hour round trip, gas for a truck and my new battery I decided to find the device and remove it my self. Now it was 17' when I did this with a wind chill factor of -4 (very windy) so I recommend anyone else that does this on a bike like this to do it in warmer temps... The plastics fight hard this cold. But here is how I removed that pesky Lo-Jack transceiver.

So first step is to remove the tank and on the B-K it has allot of plastics, bolts and clips. It is a process and for a "naked" bike it really is a chore.

With the tank partially removed (I didn't disconnect the high pressure fuel line... Damn fuel injection) I could peer into the heart of the bike and look for anything peculiar or not stock. The zip ties and wiring gave it away and a little black inconspicuous box was found above the coolant reservoir and behind the throttle bodies rack. It was also zip tied to a wiring harness... Didn't look stock to me.

I then followed the harness and found the actual Lo-Jack device. It was stuffed into the frame crevice and triple zip tied into place. It was really a bi@tch to pull out.

With it out you can see the Lo-Jack is made of 2 devices. The actual unit and a battery back up just in case the battery is yanked from your bike, the back up Li-Ion battery only gives 12 more hours of life... Making you realize how much draw this thing uses.

To confirm it was the Lo Jack I did 2 tests firstly I connected my volt meter to see if the red wire was creating a draw with the bike off for there is only a 1 or 2 items in the bike (dash in ex) that pulls with the bike off. And second I was going to run the FCC ID to see if it came up with any hits.

Yup it definitely was drawing power with the bike off...

The FCC ID sure enough hit as a registered unit by the Lo-Jack corporation.

I followed the harness up to a conspicuous ground on the seat lock and the power led into the starter power line. It also was fused.... I snipped it off and removed the Lo-Jack.

I then Cleaned up my mess and tested to see if it ran well... NO Issues!!!

I'll get a video walk around up soon!
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

You're keeping her indoors, aren't you?
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              Unfortunately I can't get it into my shop with a 5 foot high and 10 foot deep bank locking in my Shop and the drive leading to it... No January thaw this year so I can't dig or blow out the giant pile of Iced over slushy snow off the road from the town plow. With no January thaw I'm in a constant fight with a minimum of 3 feet of total winter accumulation. Ugh... But I have a cover on her plus she's wrapped like a Mummy in a tarp. Ugh Would I LOVE to bring her inside. So she has to sit for a few more weeks next to her sister the FZ1 while we wait for spring... Once it's warm enough to be able to stay out for more then an hour at a time I'll start picking at the banks so I can bring the king down and up... Or just keep it where it's at and wash it every few days. But I need this polar air to go away...

****ty but with the 2nd snowiest winter and the 2nd coldest winter on record means she will have to sit where she sits. My luck...
              Last edited by Jedz123; 02-21-2015, 05:51 PM.
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                Unfortunately I can't...
                Cruelty...you could be reported to the authorities!
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Cruelty...you could be reported to the authorities!
                  ... I know, I know. It hurts my heart.... LOL
                  I get mad at how bad the winter has been....
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Video!

Hope to ride it soon... But we are getting another 4-6" tonight... Then kinda warm tomorrow then back into the single digits Monday as a high.... God Damn it...

I also have to get it registered but it's going to cost a fortune. Frickin' DMV goes off Retail value not what I paid for it... I'll likely pay in 6% of 8K-10K...
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

You should have let the dealer keep it until spring. LOL.
                      Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                      87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                      99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                      15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Originally posted by 83GS1100E_Tornado View Post
                        You should have let the dealer keep it until spring. LOL.
                        They wanted it out plus I'd rather have it home so I can sneak a ride out!

No buyers remorse here! But it will be a few more weeks till I get to actually USE it.
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

You should really send it out here where we can make sure those carbs don't get gummed up on you over the winter........
                          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                          1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                            You should really send it out here where we can make sure those carbs don't get gummed up on you over the winter........
                            LOL. I know those VM sliders are a real PITA once gummed up. lol
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Wow, another one for next to nothing. I keep seeing them this cheap, I'm gonna have to get another one. LOL.

Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                              87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                              99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                              15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Anybody ever seen one with a 4-into-1? I'm not fond of under seat exhausts.

What does the B stand for?

Comment

Working...
                                X