Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project lil' Nipper, tale of an unloved Nippi.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing like background product placement!
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Hahaha, you saw that, did you.

Comment

+1 on the Devcon Plastic Welder. I scuff the area a bit to get some texture to the piece. I also have used it to refit broken side cover tabs.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Time for a quick update, as I managed to get some quality garage time in.
          With the engine sorted and the new intake manifold purchased, it was time to start hanging bits back onto the frame.

Back on her wheels and starting to look like a scoot again.

The back end coming together, still looking for a fuel cap.

Some kickstarter detailing....... I think I need help.

And voltage regulator detailing..... I really need help.

Wiring harness started to go in yesterday, once that is done, I start with the plastics.

Comment

So work being quiet has left me with some well deserved workshop time to tinker on Lil' Nipper and make some progress.
            Wiring harness was serviced, all dodgy connectors replaced and cleaned, and the harness installed.
            I had to replace the left switch block with a new one because the old one was just too sad to put back on, this required having to repin the connector but happy to say everything is working as it should.

Got around to redoing the exhaust from front to back, replacing all the gaskets, the old loose rivets on the silencer and the old torn, worn out rubbers under the silencer straps, and of course a lick of paint and some polishing.

With the harness in place and a strong blue spark on the plug, it was time for her to breath and live once more.
            She fired up and purred like a kitten and pulls cleanly through the rev range and settled back to a rock steady idle. Happy camper.

With the mechanicals done and dusted for the most part, it was time to break out the trusty sanding block and tackle the plastic work.
            Repairing and preparing for paint.

And the reward for countless hours of sanding, filling and more sanding.... primer and colour going down.

Will update as the bodywork progresses.
            I have gone with 2K rather than base coat / clear coat, purely from a cost point of view, will give the colour a week to gas off and cure fully then wet sand and polish to a shine.

Comment

Great progress there! Nipper is going to look really smart in those new clothes.
              1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Thanks Ben, sorry, I have not ignored your message, I read stuff as it comes through and make a mental note to reply as soon as I am free, and then forget, until Something reminds me, but eish this old timers desease is not for sissies.
                Will certainly make a plan to get together soon for a few cold ones.

Comment

Working...
                X