My Norton is taking shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
    I got my title, registration and plate, a few hoops to jump through but given that I only had a Bill of Sale it's understandable. Took it to the CHP because it has no federal sticker (too old) and they do an FBI check. I also had to get a notarized request out to Oklahoma as the DMV found my number on 'some vehicle'. Oklahoma charged $2 and sent back the all clear. So now all I have to do is finish it and start riding it. That part is going a bit slow due to some other vehicle needs popping up.
    Excellent result! And you gotta LOVE Oklahoma...$2? You think California would ever help their citizens for $2?

And speaking of California, are you still in CA? I thought you moved north?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The only thing you can get at Connecticut D.M.V. is a Snickers Bar from the vending machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post

Excellent result! And you gotta LOVE Oklahoma...$2? You think California would ever help their citizens for $2?

And speaking of California, are you still in CA? I thought you moved north?
        I moved back due to job opportunities in my field being much better. Got a big interview tomorrow,

Actually the CHP in San Juan Capistrano was even less, free of charge to inspect, get FBI check, sign the papers. The officer was a really cool guy, had researched my bike before I arrived and was really into seeing a Norton, he said he'd seen lots of Triumphs and BSAs before but not a Norton.
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Got a new reproduction seat, was worth it. Finally, I have a garage all to myself again, so it's about a solid weekend of last things left to do. I also got a little play bike, a screaming deal on a 2013 CRF250L, pretty tame but good for my 18-year-old son to learn on, up in the hills and around town. It has 1600 miles on it and is like new. Pretty fun bike and gets about 75 MPG.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

How about a video walk around and start up so we can hear it (the Norton)?
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              How about a video walk around and start up so we can hear it (the Norton)?
              Yeah Rob I expected that to be June, then July, now it's October and finally I have things settled down and am starting to focus back on my real priorities! Soon.
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Any chance you got the seat from Baxter's in the UK?
                A friend has a Commando that he is refurbing.

The bike looks great, btw.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                  Any chance you got the seat from Baxter's in the UK?
                  A friend has a Commando that he is refurbing.

The bike looks great, btw.
                  I got it from Baxters, but they are in Iowa not the UK. The seat is made in the UK though. It's less expensive to purchase from a US importer than directly from the UK.
                  Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

It's Alive!

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                    '79 GS100E
                    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Congratulations! Looks and sounds great. I have always liked Nortons.
                      Dale

1982 Suzuki GS1100G
                      2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300
                      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                      1997 Honda 250 Rebel
                      1984 Honda Nighthawk S CB700SC
                      1973 Yamaha RT3 360

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100GZ View Post
                        Congratulations! Looks and sounds great. I have always liked Nortons.
                        Thanks. My older brother is visiting from CT and it was good to get it started when he's here. He got me into bikes and had many Triumphs and BSAs. But never a Norton. It was super tough to kick over being rebuilt, and after many kicks, I had to get out the starting fluid. I just couldn't get it turning over fast enough to generate enough vacuum to pull gas in. Just a 1s squirt on the foam air filter did it, roared to life with one kick and stayed running off the carb. Now it starts 1st kick as it's loosened up.
                        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                        '79 GS100E
                        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Congrats. Looks and sounds great.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

After Bathing at Baxter's...

Thanks for the vid.
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

What a classic, I love it.
                              1986 1150EF
                              2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

I got my Mikuni VM34 set up and it's idling well, the plugs look good, and it pulls well. Not sure I can ask for more, but I will. It had a 290 main and 45 pilot, really big, wtf. I put a 230 main and 30 pilot in. My 19 y/o son (who found the bike, and will inherit it) has a very good aptitude for bikes, and took to it like a duck to water. I taught him the startup technique and he's able to kick it over first or 2nd try. I shouldn't have doubted it, I was joy riding my older brother's Triumph at 14 when he was away to college haha. I trailed him on a 20-minute ride and he said the front brake's very strong, and altogether it rides fine. It's in our DNA, I guess. He doesn't look like such an ape on it as I do.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                                '79 GS100E
                                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                                X