No announcement yet.

My Norton is taking shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This came up today locally, sure looks like a good deal at that price of 5K. Join me in Norton ownership!

I am not a fan of deeply valanced fenders or that tank, but this is a featherbed frame which many used for Tritons (I don't see the logic in a Triumph engine swap but hey) or café style and they look quite nice.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/d/san-juan-capistrano-1967-norton-atlas/7487875394.html

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Yours will look 100x better. (Already does).
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

That $10 spring compressor is awesome, I love stuff like that.
        1986 1150EF
        2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Originally posted by Big Block View Post
          That $10 spring compressor is awesome, I love stuff like that.
          Well it was all free sorta since it was in the garage. It was about 1mm from not working out. There are several Norton specific tools I might have bought but made using stuff on hand. The right tool makes things easier but what fun is that?
          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Forks rebuilt with new bushings, seals, stanchions and damper parts. It's using stock internals, there are damping and other improvements that can be made but we'll see how it goes. I fitted the lower leg from a Commando with the disc brake. The internals on the N15CS are different and stanchions are longer, but the lowers are the same dimensions thankfully.

I found an inexpensive and very nice Yamaha Vino scooter master cylinder. It has the 1/2" bore that helps the ratio. Norton MCs are pricey and they sleeve them, but 10x the cost. This will work fine and I didn't even need to rebuild it.

Waiting on a new top nut for the yoke, the one I have is 26 TPI and they changed to 28 TPI on the Commando yoke I got for it. Mine was missing and I had a really rare 63 Royal Enfield Interceptor one that wouldn't work - I sold that for more than I got the whole bike for.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 06-04-2022, 03:27 PM.
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Looking good Tom. It's also good to see your old GS's are still with you.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yep, still here. I finished the gearbox rebuild today. Very tedious, like a ship in a bottle. It's all buttoned up and shifting through the gears. New bearings, bushings and seals. One up and three down on the right side. On my BSA and Triumph a stab at the shifter mistaken for brake meant a downshift. At least this is upshift if I ever do that, but my brain's trained. Like that digital gear indicator?

Disassembly required some clever home built tools - taking the sprocket off means nailing a chain to the workbench so it won't spin. The clutch actuating rod goes through the mainshaft. It's super compact and these AMC/Norton boxes (from Sturmey Archer design) shift very well.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 06-05-2022, 12:18 AM.
                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Just quietly following along. It's coming along beautifully.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                    Just quietly following along. It's coming along beautifully.
                    Thanks, yesterday the bottom end came together nicely all fresh and cam/crank/rods are rotating as they should, sealed up tight with Hondabond as they didn't use a gasket due to end float variances I suppose.

I painted the barrels with VHT brake caliper semi gloss which I've used on several Suzuki parts (as shown in last pic) oh so long ago, as it holds up well to heat/chemical and has a nice sheen. On the cylinder head I used an old trick, dilute engine silver with acetone and dab it on with a rag and small brush between the fins. I would have left it bare but this does look better. I sure would love to own a vapor blast setup.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                    '79 GS100E
                    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Here's some British heavy metal

This is a spigoted barrel N15CS that I had milled flat on top, because of the two cylinder heads that came with the bike, the non-spigoted one was better. Th...
                      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                      '79 GS100E
                      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

That's some long stroke! But they don't really move in unison like that, do they?
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Rob, I thought the same. Do the 2 pistons on the Norton twin go up and down together?
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            That's some long stroke! But they don't really move in unison like that, do they?
                            The classic British parallel twins are 360 degree crank, they rise and fall together but fire alternately. The Japanese twins were 180 degree. There may be exceptions but I don't know of any. See pic in post 15
                            Bore is 73 mm (2.9 in) x 89 mm (3.5 in) stroke giving 745cc. Well my replacement pistons are 74mm now giving 765.55.
                            Last edited by oldGSfan; 06-12-2022, 11:20 AM.
                            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                            '79 GS100E
                            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I learned something new today. Thanks Tom.
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I'm stalled on engine assembly until I get a dang woodruff key from the UK along with some other miscellany I need. So I turned to the revolution counter.... Inside it shows last time it was fiddled with was '69. All it needed was new glass, I got glass and bezel and rubber from India for $9 but only used the glass as the rest was fine and more correct anyway. I just had to peen over the edges carefully. Painted up the housings with good old VHT chassis and rollbar paint.

I applied a bit of heat to loosen up the congealed grease and dripped it out of the little speedo and tacho gearboxes and then put a bit of fresh, will see how it goes but the drill test works fine. I could have dabbed a bit of silver inside the tacho but it's gonna have patina all over so it's fine by me.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 06-17-2022, 04:36 PM.
                                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                                '79 GS100E
                                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                                X