Opinions on a Suzuki vx800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on a Suzuki vx800

Seen one for sale on the marketplace, not that I'm buying it or anything but it was a pretty cool looking bike, anyways I was just curious how have people who rode them liked them? Maybe it's something I'd entertain in the future.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

bwinger had one. He's the guy to ask.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Did you search? Brian gives his opinions on the 2 he owned here.

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ch/70545-vx800

He also put a service manual on BikeCliffs website so you can read about fun things like valve clearance checks at 4000 mile/12 month intervals.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

no i didnt search, unfortunately it hasnt done the best for when i have used it, but also fresh minded opinions were the idea!
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

FWIW, I think they were cool bikes and made much better use of that motor than the Intruder.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Thanks for linking to my summary, Rich!

That assessment all still stands. As I mentioned, the rarity of these bikes in North America is the biggest challenge, and more and more of a challenge as time goes on. The engine and carbs were used on decades of very popular cruisers, but getting other parts can be impossible or difficult. (The VX800 was pretty successful in Europe).

The valve checks are screw and locknut, and reaching the valves is actually much easier than it looks, given how tightly packed everything is. Oil changes are easy...

Other than that, bring your mechanical A-game. It's a very challenging bike to work on.

If the airboxes are missing or monkeyed with, it'll probably never run right. All the bits and pieces and tubes and clamps and snorkels MUST in place, sealed, and oriented exactly right. The OEM air filters are no longer available. I never got aftermarket filters to work right, and I don't even know whether they're still available. There were some experiments with using OEM filter bases and gluing on foam or paper elements, but I don't know if those went anywhere.

Another specific issue, especially if the bike has been sitting, is that there's a vacuum operated fuel pump to feed the front carb; below about half a tank, the front carb can't gravity feed. You can get replacement vacuum operated pumps intended for ATVs, but they're configured differently and it's challenging to mount and run the hoses, etc.

The electrics have the same weaknesses and fixes as the GS series, with the fun addition that the stock R/R location is doomed; it's roasting less than an inch above the exhaust crossover. On mine, I mounted the replacement under the side panel. If you find a VX that's still running, this may have already been moved or been replaced a few times.

On the VX and the cruisers (Intruder, Boulevard/C50, etc.) with this engine, the carbs can be a headache; they're two completely different carbs, for starters. The rear one is a more or less standard CV carb, the front is a downdraft carb. They're synced via a cable you can't reach without modifying a couple of wrenches, and the sync process is fairly strange. Access to the carbs and pretty much anything under the tank and bodywork is just about the tightest I've ever seen. Get it all right and they're fantastic. Get it just a little wrong and the bike is an unpleasant turd.

Pay close attention to things like cable and wire routing; everything only fits and works in one exact configuration.

Lastly, I'd say one of the more well-known weak points is that chopper rake to the front end. With decent fork springs, the bike actually handles perfectly fine via Suzuki chassis magic. However, the bushings are under a lot of stress, and fork seals never last long at all. They pretty much always leak a little. Just keep spare seals and bushings on hand. I also added neoprene fork tube protectors to soak up fork oil before it got to the brake pads.
            Last edited by bwringer; 10-24-2022, 10:18 AM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I had one few years ago, always wanted one, they look nice.The engine seem better than the same era intruder, other than replacing the swingarms bushing it was trouble free. The main reason of selling was the chopper front end and the worst seat know to mankind put on a motorcycle. I paid mine 1200$ canadian.
              Marc
              Last edited by kochic; 10-24-2022, 07:47 PM.
              AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
              1978 GS1000C X2
              1978 GS1000E X2
              1979 GS1000S
              1979 gs1000
              1983 gs400e

Comment

Yeah, the stock VX800 seat is an incredibly horrible crotch clamp sort of thing. I've experienced some dreadful stock seats, but Suzuki really took this one down to the next level of hell. Not to get too graphic, but it doesn't just make your butt hurt; it manages to inflict pain on everything below the belt.

I totally re-sculpted mine with Super Cell foam from Sargent (not sure whether they still sell slabs of this foam, but it's great for this sort of thing) re-covered it in marine vinyl, and it was great.

Honestly, it would be surprising if a VX800 with many miles at all still had the stock seat. You just can't ride it very far in that state.

I'd also say that replacing the rear shocks is nearly mandatory; the originals are pretty terrible.

Here's a photo I dug up of my first VX800 showing the seat. Long story, but after a crash, I installed knobby-ish tires and went adventuring...

You can also see the neoprene boots on the forks to absorb the nearly constant fork oil leaks. It went down on this side, so there's a visible repair to the bodywork, and the left exhaust was rashed pretty good. I also had to modify the fender so I could raise it a bit to fit a knobbier front tire. It's a rear tire mounted backwards, and I have no idea whether it's even still available these days for the oddball 18" front.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

It's a V-Twin GSX1100G! I totally forgot about those. I like it (but I read the mechanical issues stuff too...).

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    Yeah, the stock VX800 seat is an incredibly horrible crotch clamp sort of thing. I've experienced some dreadful stock seats, but Suzuki really took this one down to the next level of hell. Not to get too graphic, but it doesn't just make your butt hurt; it manages to inflict pain on everything below the belt.

I totally re-sculpted mine with Super Cell foam from Sargent (not sure whether they still sell slabs of this foam, but it's great for this sort of thing) re-covered it in marine vinyl, and it was great.

Honestly, it would be surprising if a VX800 with many miles at all still had the stock seat. You just can't ride it very far in that state.
                    The Japanese are still getting even for losing the war and all associated with that... It's either addict us to really nice stuff, or once in a while punish us with bad M/C seats... Lol.

Seriously, I think some small part of their success might be not having to worry about national security so much (provided by the U.S. post-WWII), and getting on with concentrating efforts on civilian manufacturing stuff. I could be wrong though...

Comment

Originally posted by JMHJ View Post

The Japanese are still getting even for losing the war and all associated with that... It's either addict us to really nice stuff, or once in a while punish us with bad M/C seats... Lol.

Seriously, I think some small part of their success might be not having to worry about national security so much (provided by the U.S. post-WWII), and getting on with concentrating efforts on civilian manufacturing stuff. I could be wrong though...
                      The mind boggles.
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                      X