Dirt bikes for me and my and my son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    My hard starting pig DR 350 takes one kick, two if it hasn't run in a month or two.
    It's all in the maintenance.

My wife's DR 200 hauled my 6'4" buddy up some 11,000' passes in Colorado a few months ago just fine. He had a blast on it.
    I'm glad yours starts well!, but I personally know of two other riders that sold their kick only DR-350's because they wouldn't start consistantly. You'll discover the same deal on ThumperTalk, some start in one kick, others need to be push started off a mountain before they'll start.

Pretty cool that your wife's bike made it up any 11,000 foot pass! (really!), at that elevation it probably wasn't putting out much more power than a DRZ-70. Stock and at sea level I think a DR-200 is only pushing 24Hp ~ maybe.

Comment

If you want dirt only, I might look at an old IT yamaha. Cheap and fun. For a dual sport, you need a 350 in order to not be a hood ornament on the street. I have a XT250 and a XL250. E start is super convenient.

Modern bikes require you to slide up on the tank to turn them. That is why the seat goes so far up. My ATK490 and DRZ400S both plow unless you are putting or you slide forward in a turn. Its OK, I just didn't figure it out at first. I like my DRZ350S best of my dual sports. Probably would like the Honda XL600 best with E start. If you don't want to haul ass over rough terrain, don't get a race bike with lights like a KTM, new Husky, or my ATK. You need speed and skill to make them work.

I learned to ride a hand clutch bike at 10 years old. Your boy can do that too, but you may want something physically larger for him soon anyway.

The old school dual sports are less capable, but more user friendly.
      Last edited by 850 Combat; 12-28-2012, 08:34 PM.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by zig06 View Post
        Stock and at sea level I think a DR-200 is only pushing 24Hp ~ maybe.
        Probably more like 16 or 18 at sea level, don't know, never ridden it there…

At 6,000 to 12,000 ft, it has not got much power, but it will get you there with a grin on your face...

No wheelying past KTMs or anything, but it will get you there.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
          I don't want to ride at at motocross track (too hard on my body)...
          OK, Gramps...What are ya, 70 years old? And here I thought you were young...

I have always maintained that people who don't wear helmets, most likely never rode dirt bikes. IMO
          You'd be wrong. I started on dirt bikes back in the 70s and we never wore helmets...
          Jean jacket, jeans and tennis shoes...not even gloves. Fell down a lot, didn't hurt much.
          Ya bounce good when you're young...

Wasn't 'til I felt old and fragile that I started gearing up...(That, and they made wear gear at the track)
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Probably more like 16 or 18 at sea level, don't know, never ridden it there…

At 6,000 to 12,000 ft, it has not got much power, but it will get you there with a grin on your face...

No wheelying past KTMs or anything, but it will get you there.
            The 200 is rated at 15bhp here. A great little bike with an engine that runs like a sewing machine. For the father - son thing I would buy a DR125 for him and a 200 for me. Both have electric start and as long as you change the oil every now and then, keep on top of the valve clearances (really easy) and keep the rear suspension linkages well greased they'll last forever.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

ttr90e around 500-700 3 speed manual shift with no clutch, my daughter lovers hers. She learned to ride in second gear and it goes from zero to about 15 mph with ease and it has a lower seat hight than the Honda 70.

Comment

Update...found a 2006 Honda CRF70 bought it from the one owner, original tires so it has not been rode tons of hours. Came with boots too. The kid that was riding it went up to a CRF100. Should have seen the look on my boy's face!
                Then we went and got a new helmet and other gear. My son paid for exactly half of everything and is now broke. Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated!! Now to find one for me.

No signature

Comment

Update...found a 2006 Honda CRF70 bought it from the one owner, original tires so it has not been rode tons of hours. Came with boots too. The kid that was riding it went up to a CRF100. Should have seen the look on my boy's face!
                  Then we went and got a new helmet and other gear. My son paid for exactly half of everything and is now broke. Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated!! Now to find one for me.

Excellent job! Do yourself a favor and save those pictures in more than one location, even frame them (like the middle one), there's a good chance that he's going to remember that day forever. Just like a certain day back in '78 when my dad came home with a brand new '78 RM125 ~ after the first ride I was totally convinced that my dad was trying to kill me!

Now you need to get something like this for yourself, a KTM-300XC-w, yes ~ it's an excellent bike!

Comment

Looks good, Trevor. He should be able to learn the basics on that machine, but he might surprise you and be ready for something with a little more kick sooner than you think.
                    '83 GS650G
                    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Like after about three hours.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Like after about three hours.

Those are an important three hours for a timid kid. Those are the hours that keep him doing it rather than scaring him away from it. The way Trevor buys bikes I am sure he will only be too happy to upgrade it when the boy asks...

It wouldn't have been my first choice either, but I am sure Trevor knows his son.

Comment

Originally posted by bluewool View Post
                          Those are an important three hours for a timid kid. Those are the hours that keep him doing it rather than scaring him away from it. The way Trevor buys bikes I am sure he will only be too happy to upgrade it when the boy asks...

It wouldn't have been my first choice either, but I am sure Trevor knows his son.
                          Yep my boy is not like I was when I was young. I wanted to go fast, well..fast. When my boy learned how to ride a two wheel bike, he was the probably the only kid who learned and never fell down once. He is a very cautious kid. He will not try something unless he is comfortable trying it. My son is actually my wife's son from a previous marriage and doesn't share my need for a "thrill gene". I know, I always call him my son, well he is! His dad is not around (Dick) so as a result he has not always been the most confident kid. Not to mention his mom has always been in protective mode. So this is a HUGE step in his life. I love my son so much, he has changed my life and has made me a better man! So in what ever way I can I want him to trust me and to feel confident that I won't try to push him into something he is not ready for. I know, I'm a little sappy. I really am looking forward to riding with my boy. I have not stopped smiling since seeing the look on his face when we picked up his new bike.
                          Trevor
                          No signature

Comment

Yep my boy is not like I was when I was young. I wanted to go fast, well..fast. When my boy learned how to ride a two wheel bike, he was the probably the only kid who learned and never fell down once. He is a very cautious kid. He will not try something unless he is comfortable trying it. My son is actually my wife's son from a previous marriage and doesn't share my need for a "thrill gene". I know, I always call him my son, well he is! His dad is not around (Dick) so as a result he has not always been the most confident kid. Not to mention his mom has always been in protective mode. So this is a HUGE step in his life. I love my son so much, he has changed my life and has made me a better man! So in what ever way I can I want him to trust me and to feel confident that I won't try to push him into something he is not ready for. I know, I'm a little sappy. I really am looking forward to riding with my boy. I have not stopped smiling since seeing the look on his face when we picked up his new bike.
                            Trevor
                            Fantastic!!

Comment

We went out for my boy's first ride today and he did very well. A buddy of mine is a member of the Victoria motorcycle club and took us out to their property today. This club has almost two hundred acres and goes back to the very early 1900s. I think if not the oldest but one of the oldest in existence.
                              Just getting there...

ok now where is 1st gear??

This guy ownes a shop that sell Gas Gas trials bikes. He was a top flat tracker in his day. Dave nice guy and very welcoming to me and my son. That is what a lot of this club is about. Fun to watch.

makes sense...
                              Last edited by trevor; 01-02-2013, 12:05 AM.
                              No signature

Comment

Trevor,

Awesome story. I have two things to add. One, I believe riders who learn in the dirt are the best riders. They know how it feels to lose traction, lock up both wheels, and have one or both wheels off the ground. When they get on the street they know how to handle these situations. Two, dirt riding will make anyone, even old guys, better street riders as well.

Besides that, dirt riding is an absolute blast. You can be a complete hoodlum without risking your license. I have done a few dual-sport rental rides in the past few years and bought a '95 XR600R last year. I did several dual-sport rides with the area gang this year (Big Bend National Park, North Carolina, Michigan, and the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail) and they were the most fun rides of the year. We are planning do do more rides this year and I can't wait!

Joe
                                IBA# 24077
                                '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                                '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                                '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Working...
                                X