Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
    Trevor,

Awesome story. I have two things to add. One, I believe riders who learn in the dirt are the best riders. They know how it feels to lose traction, lock up both wheels, and have one or both wheels off the ground. When they get on the street they know how to handle these situations. Two, dirt riding will make anyone, even old guys, better street riders as well.

Besides that, dirt riding is an absolute blast. You can be a complete hoodlum without risking your license. I have done a few dual-sport rental rides in the past few years and bought a '95 XR600R last year. I did several dual-sport rides with the area gang this year (Big Bend National Park, North Carolina, Michigan, and the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail) and they were the most fun rides of the year. We are planning do do more rides this year and I can't wait!

Joe
    They also never develop that "it won't happen to me" attitude.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi guys, here is an update to this thread. I got my 1999 WR400 (yeah I know...lots of bike, maybe too much for me) We went out today for our first ride together. We left early in the morning after getting all our gear together and my wife packed lunches for us. My son started off a little timid as we had some rough terrain to get through. But he made it! The place we went to is called Boyd's Pit up between Sooke and Jordan River, about an hour from our house. We listened to Johnny Cash all the way there. The place is hundreds of acres of logging roads and trails. Heaven on earth! We had so much fun! What an experience it is to be able to share the hobby and passion with my son! I'm so happy right now.

Here he is the night before in his jammies...

the parking lot...hehe

not such a big deal for me on a 400 but to a ten yearold on a crf70...it was cool to see him go through it..

No signature

Comment

That looks like alot of father and son fun you have going on. You'll fit that bike fine in about 20 hours of riding time. Beware though that he will outgrow his bike before you out grow yours.

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

cool! thats good he paid for half of it! know you got to teach him how to change his own oil and clean his air filter. hes going to be ready a for a 80-85cc 2 stroke in no time!

some of my fondest memories are of my dad teaching me to ride in the desert on my little pw50 when i was little kid. my dads too.

i hope i have kids some day to do the same thing, if its legal to ride dirt bikes anywhere by then.
          Last edited by Guest; 02-04-2013, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Ahh the memories.
            Enjoy it, it will be gone in the wink of an eye.
            sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
            .................________-|___\____
            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I can remember riding on the back with my Dad. We would ride down to Prado Dam & watch the TT riders back in the 60's

Comment

Gotta ask, did either of you fall that first outing?

Comment

Originally posted by Notz View Post
                  Gotta ask, did either of you fall that first outing?
                  I fell the weekend before when I went out with a buddy. Nothing crazy, more like "Fell Over" lol...but no my boy didn't go down (yet). It was close as some of those puddles were pretty deep with rocks. Truth be told I'm hopping he does go down next time out just to get it out of the way, so he knows it's no big deal and it's all part of riding in the dirt!
                  No signature

Comment

Good job pops!

Comment

Wow that's one happy looking kid, way to go! I was 10 when I first rode, a beat up SL125 that would do a grand total of 50 or 60 with me on it. That was some fun stuff though!
                      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Working...
                      X