Kawasaki Concours - thoughts on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    I couldn't stand mine. Too top heavy, wrong posture, wrong engine. Fairing is so-so, Handling is poor for anything with sport in it's name. Gas mileage so so, Seat was terrible. Could not sell it fast enough. Others will disagree.
    Ride one a while before you pull the trigger.
    Couldn't agree more. I traded a cherry SV650 and some cash for one a few yrs ago. Took me about 20 miles on I-85 to realize I made a BIG mistake. Tried it for another 1k before finally getting rid of it for the same reasons TKent listed. Live and learn.
    Willie
    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
    '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
      Well it really isn't so bad. The key is they really don't break much, and don't need a lot of parts replaced....
      Plus, plenty of great forums for help and alternative part sources to cut costs.

The K bikes are tough...not too hard to work on...and are really made for riding long distances...

Just my $0.02
      +1

Have had five or so BMWs, have yet to buy a part, save a few oil filters and some brake pads and tires.

Haven't even worn out a cable yet.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by subforry View Post
        ..., what are some thoughts on traction control and ABS? I am hesitant to get into a motorcycle with too many electronic features, in fact I am hesitant to get buy a water cooled bike.
        If the bike has enough power, or you EVER ride where there might be wet pavement or possibly even some sand or gravel on the pavement, traction control might be good. Of course, you already have a traction control device installed, it's called "right wrist". The version mounted on the bike is for the situations that you didn't see in time.

ABS could be highly-recommended. Rain or shine. straight up or leaned in a curve, you can hit the brakes with the assurance that the bike will do everything possible to maintain traction. That is not to say that it will ALWAYS work, because it is possible to go into a turn too hot and simply overpower any available traction, ABS or not.

I have had three water-cooled bikes. If it weren't for all the GSes in my garage, I probably would not even consider another air-cooled bike. Yes, they are a bit more difficult to work on, but the flip side is that they typically run so much better that you don't have to work on them nearly as much. I know that my Wing is not quite typical of ALL water-cooled bikes, but it has just over 180,000 miles on it. The heads have never been off, and the coolant has been changed once, that was when I changed the thermostat at about 130,000 miles. By the way, the thermostat change turned out to not fix the 'problem' I was experiencing, so there is a good chance the original thermostat could still be in there.
        You just add coolant changes to your maintenance list, along with tires, oil and brakes, then fill the gas tank again and keep going.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for all the input - I enjoyed reading your comments. The polar love it/hate it definitely makes me want to sit on one.

The Katana has gotten a lot of love and $ from me. I do really like the bike and find it very comfortable and there is never a shortage of power. It needs new cogs, chain, shift forks (big job), and I think the rear suspension could stand a rebuild.

BMW ownership would terrify me. I would be concerned about being eaten alive by parts costs.

The V-Strom was the bike I was going to buy as my first bike before I got the GS850G. Any thoughts on the 650 vrs the 1000?

I will look into the FJR. They seems to have a higher resale value than the Concours. I think the low price (and colors) is drawing me to the Conours. Could be all the disappointed owners killing the resale value

The Concours 14 looks like a nice beast - variable valve timing, that is cool. Since this leads to newer motorcycles, what are some thoughts on traction control and ABS? I am hesitant to get into a motorcycle with too many electronic features, in fact I am hesitant to get buy a water cooled bike.
          Don't just sit on one, ride it a while. I sat on one plenty, and considered buying one for years before I bought it. Its way different to be riding it.
          Last edited by 850 Combat; 01-16-2013, 12:23 PM.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Going to disagree with you here. I ride all shapes and sizes of GSes, big and small, shaft and chain. None seem top heavy in the slightest. The Connie was a whole different animal. I almost dropped it just about every time I rode it. All my friends who rode it almost dropped it. Both experienced riders well over six feet tall, strong healthy men.

I couldn't even push it around the garage without taking a chance on dropping it. Step on a small tool or slip on some oil or something, over you go. WAY TOO TOP HEAVY!!!
            I'll defer to your experience -- I've only had one ride on a Connie and it didn't seem all that top-heavy. Maybe the tank was almost empty...
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Going to disagree with you here. I ride all shapes and sizes of GSes, big and small, shaft and chain. None seem top heavy in the slightest. The Connie was a whole different animal. I almost dropped it just about every time I rode it. All my friends who rode it almost dropped it. Both experienced riders well over six feet tall, strong healthy men.

I couldn't even push it around the garage without taking a chance on dropping it. Step on a small tool or slip on some oil or something, over you go. WAY TOO TOP HEAVY!!!
              X2. Both my experience and those of a couple of Connie owning friends who, like myself, have been riding since the late 60's.
              Willie
              Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
              '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
              '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
              '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                Get an FJ1300, or a Concours 14.
                Yes to either!!

1979 GS1000

Comment

I couldn't stand mine. Too top heavy, wrong posture, wrong engine. Fairing is so-so, Handling is poor for anything with sport in it's name. Gas mileage so so, Seat was terrible. Could not sell it fast enough. Others will disagree.

Ride one a while before you pull the trigger.
                  I didn't feel so strongly about my first year Concours as TK, but his list of the bikes limitations is very close to my experience.

The bike has a good following with a good forum. I did all the little tuning tips found on the forum and they mitigated some of the negatives.

I rode my bike home from Pheonix to Denver when I bought it. The ride included a high speed late night blast that is a good memory so I have a bias. TK's list appears less affected by personal bias.

The Yamaha FJ series seems like a well thought of alternative to the Concours.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecklund View Post

I rode my bike home from Pheonix to Denver when I bought it. The ride included a high speed late night blast that is a good memory so I have a bias.
                    It's probably OK for those late night high speed blasts.

Comment

Fix the Kat. Turf the seat and get a Corbin. I love mine for touring. Not the best in the twisties, but a fine bike with a great trouble free engine. Not to mention it goes like stink. I added 2 teeth to the front sprocket { not intentionally but Z1 sent the wrong part just before a trip } I like it. Just ticking over nicely at 80mph.
                      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                      1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                        Fix the Kat. Turf the seat and get a Corbin. I love mine for touring. Not the best in the twisties, but a fine bike with a great trouble free engine. Not to mention it goes like stink. I added 2 teeth to the front sprocket { not intentionally but Z1 sent the wrong part just before a trip } I like it. Just ticking over nicely at 80mph.
                        bccap: good to hear about going with a larger cog on the Katana - I have been thinking about doing that. Do you have hard luggage?

I think for now I will stay with the beast I know - the GSX1100F Katana.

The Katana is getting some electrical upgrades so I have been riding the GS850G and am being reminded how much fun it is to ride. Today I wound it out in first only to have a light turn yellow, pop-pop-pop (backfires) - what fun. Not sure if it was belching fire but the thought of it put a grin on my face.

Comment

bccap: good to hear about going with a larger cog on the Katana - I have been thinking about doing that. Do you have hard luggage?

I think for now I will stay with the beast I know - the GSX1100F Katana.

The Katana is getting some electrical upgrades so I have been riding the GS850G and am being reminded how much fun it is to ride. Today I wound it out in first only to have a light turn yellow, pop-pop-pop (backfires) - what fun. Not sure if it was belching fire but the thought of it put a grin on my face.
                          No I have soft luggage from Moto centric which I really like. It holds it's shape when empty and it straps under the seat so I don't have to take it off when parked. And the Corbin seat, still available, is great for long rides. I wasn't too impressed with the stock one.
                          If you do adjust the sprocket ratio. Don't do it like I did. I was stuck with a front sprocket 2 teeth too large and didn't have time to return it. The sprocket cover case had to be modified by removing one bolt stud or it would have gone through the sprocket teeth. No biggie but you can accomplish the same thing the other way around. If I were to do it again I would probably go with one tooth though I have no regrets.

Last edited by bccap; 01-17-2013, 03:13 PM.
                          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                          1983 GS 750

Comment

Wow, surprising to hear all the hating on the Connie.
                            I've had two of them, an '87 and a '94. Combined, put 50-60k on them. Daily commuting, long tours and everything in between.
                            The pros: Comfortable, good weather protection, fast enough, handles well for what it is, dead reliable, great luggage, good aftermarket support, and a very active, knowledgeable and friendly user community.
                            The cons: A little buzzy at high speeds, hot in the summer (but no worse than any other big sport tourer, and better than some) and heavy (again, common to the group)
                            The weight was probably the biggest negative to me, I just got tired of dealing with it around town. I'm not a big or strong guy, 5'11 and 150-155 during the time I owned them. Classic pencil-necked geek to be honest. In spite of that I never dropped it, and certainly didn't feel like a drop was imminent just in daily use.
                            Replaced them with a 650 V-Strom, which I'm extremely happy with. But the Connie is definitely a good bike, and if what you're looking for is a big sport tourer and don't want to shell out big bucks they're certainly worth looking at.
                            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I have a 2000 Connie and have had her for over 5 years. Never had a dropping come up.
                              If you are aware of the big gas tank,I don't think it should be an issue.
                              It may be an issue with the height of the rider. I am 6'4" and she fits quite well.
                              Been all over New England and have yet to have any issues.
                              Do a jet change and she will purr.
                              I had a '83 GS1100ED before and had to do some tweaking before I was happy.
                              Every vehicle I have owned needed some mods before they worked for me fine.
                              Get away from the top heavy comments and you will have a bike that will cruise all day in comfort, especially the later years, 1998+.
                              Windshield protects me in all weather.
                              I never close my face-shield unless I am in a down-pour.
                              Luggage holds quite a bit and she is a sharp looking bike.
                              There will be nay-sayers to any bike but look at the following these bikes have had and they were made, basically the same for almost 20 years.
                              I'm sure Kawasaki would keep making something for that long if it was wrong.

Granted there are different bikes to do different things.
                              My GS100 was no GSXR but I knew it and dealt with that.
                              I wish my Connie could go off-road but it ain't going to happen.
                              Look around and study what you are looking for the bike to do.You'll find it .

To show how much you can carry and still ride comfortably.
                              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                              2000 Kawasaki Concours
                              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler View Post
                                There will be nay-sayers to any bike but look at the following these bikes have had and they were made, basically the same for almost 20 years.
                                I'm sure Kawasaki would keep making something for that long if it was wrong.
                                These are they same folks who make KLRs, remember?

Comment

Working...
                                X