goldwing versus 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
    As stated by others, the 850 is a reliable workhorse. For what it lacks in amenities like Barcalounger seats, it makes up for in simplicity.

4th of July weekend, in the midst of an 850 mile trip up to the UP of Michigan, back down the other side:

We were saddlesore a bit, but it was still a great ride.
    Now I know how my bike should look.Minus the vetter.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

The '79 850G I had prior to the 'Wings was really a nice tourer. It had a color matched Vetter with a Cycle Sound unit that had a Blaupunkt am/fm cassette with an amp and upgraded speakers jammed into it. An Eclipse tank bag, soft saddlebags, and a soft trunk on a luggage rack made comfortable camping a cinch. Loaded, it was a little top heavy, though, but was never a problem.
      Last edited by Guest; 11-08-2013, 10:48 PM.

Comment

That sounds like a really nice setup you had ace.
        future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

And oh yeah, the cooler rode on the seat behind me.

Comment

Love that vintage 70s bates luggage. I couldnt give the ones I had away and wound up dumpstering them after a few years of dragging them around.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Great to read through this thread. Have you guys ever read the magazine Road Rider? You can find them for sale in ebay, under magazines. I bought the 12 issues for 1982 and read through them - great reviews of bikes and how they held up on the "rode test". Reviews of bates luggage, motorcycle camping gear and accessories, tips... Really fun to read. Then I bought the 12 issues for 1983....
              Scott
              1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
              1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
              1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
              2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gs scott View Post
                Great to read through this thread. Have you guys ever read the magazine Road Rider? You can find them for sale in ebay, under magazines. I bought the 12 issues for 1982 and read through them - great reviews of bikes and how they held up on the "rode test". Reviews of bates luggage, motorcycle camping gear and accessories, tips... Really fun to read. Then I bought the 12 issues for 1983....
                Never heard of that.interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless View Post
                  man that seat looks comfortable. My stock seat on my 850 is very comfortable.I remember my gs 1000, it was the first seat I ever rode on that was comfortable all day long. As far as 6 cylinder goldwings go other than having to replace the timing belts they run forever.My valkyrie would pass the nickel test.Start it up, stand a nickel on edge on the cylinder head.rev the bike.It wont fall over.But the valk only got 27 mpg.It was the tourer.I loved the bike, hated the mpg.
                  Suzuki ruined the seat completely in 1983. A job they started in 1982. 79 to 81, its at least as good as the original GS1000.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                    Suzuki ruined the seat completely in 1983. A job they started in 1982. 79 to 81, its at least as good as the original GS1000.

Well, if that's so, I can't tell it.I have owned both.

Comment

I like the early flat seats much better than any of the stepped ones. It just seems stupid to have a stylish step halfway up my ass when I'm sitting farther back.

That and the front part of the seat in front of the step is too low.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        I like the early flat seats much better than any of the stepped ones. It just seems stupid to have a stylish step halfway up my ass when I'm sitting farther back.

That and the front part of the seat in front of the step is too low.
                        I see no reason for the step either.

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless View Post
                          I see no reason for the step either.
                          Cruiser "asthetics".

1979 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by gsgeezer View Post
                            Cruiser "asthetics".
                            probably.Almost threatening L status.

Comment

Working...
                            X