Bikes to Restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by habsdoc View Post
    Goo Gone will take that old masking tape off. Just keep it damp with the Goo Gone and it will come right off with no sticky mess left behind.
    Thanks, that was another option, and or varsol, kerosene, and some other stuff I have around the house, I am sure something will take it off and keep the paint intact....

However all this might be for nothing.....

Found out the bikes are still US registered, when he moved to Canada he had them in the back of the moving van, and never transferred the bikes to Canadian status, so now I am not sure what can be done and how much it will cost to get Canadian ownership papers done......

Bloody things just might end up being sold as parts......if I cannot get ownerships for them, and if the process will cost an arm and a leg

I have not dealt with this ever, so I have to start doing some research, and hopefully it's a cheap and easy road to follow....

Comment

If you're not far from the border, bring them to Ohio, get them registered here and transfer when you get back. I would be willing to be a middle man if need be.

I'm not even sure that will work, but if you find out it will, PM me and we will get it figured out.

I may even have a place for the Honda if you really don't want it. I can save it from the café f@gs.
      Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2014, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 78550GS View Post
        If you're not far from the border, bring them to Ohio, get them registered here and transfer when you get back. I would be willing to be a middle man if need be.

I'm not even sure that will work, but if you find out it will, PM me and we will get it figured out.

I may even have a place for the Honda if you really don't want it. I can save it from the café f@gs.
        Thanks.....

I have to do some digging here to see what I am up against, and what will need to be done....

Bikes were last registered in Iowa if I am not mistaken

good thing the owner is my neighbour, so at least we can work on this together very easily....I just hope it don't cost a pile of cash to get it done, there might be penalties, duties, and so on....I hope not.....LOL

or as I said they will be parted out, unfortunately.....

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
          I had some contacts in the shipping biz, have to dig them up if they are still around, I could see how much and if it's cheaper than norm......does that mean I shouldn't do anything and leave it all up to you.....? By the way what do you think it would be for shipping ?
          Hmmmm.......hadn't thought it might work.Will send to an email or pm,might have a connection to.Probably shouldn't but when's that stopped me

Comment

Hmmm...just reading through this for the first time. That BMW R65 is a great bike. As a commuter you won't find a more ergo correct and comfortable bike that is this light and very easy to work on. The tank is aluminum so rust shouldn't be a factor. Stock seat is very comfortable along with those hbars. Plenty of torque to hit the mountain passes and will cruise at 80mph all day long while getting 50mpg. If you clean up and make roadworthy you will get your money back a few times over as there is a cult following for the R65. A lot of beemerites consider it one of the smoothest twin produced back then. The carbs are silly easy to work on and I see it only has 5k miles on it. But it's more than a commuter bike. Think of the GS650E as a close comparison. For 2 up riding it is a little too soft even with stiffest setting and will bottom out on bumps. Great handling all day rider that is a joy to ride and look at cleaned up. The CB350 may have it's appeal but it's a junky toy bike compared to the R65 if you are planning on logging many miles on it. Here is what yours could look like....my '82 R65 that I enjoyed but threw on CL with a fair (but profitable) price and had 2 people promising cash sight unseen within 2 hours. I sold it to the first caller from VT for my asking price.

Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2014, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
              Hmmm...just reading through this for the first time. That BMW R65 is a great bike. As a commuter you won't find a more ergo correct and comfortable bike that is this light and very easy to work on. The tank is aluminum so rust shouldn't be a factor. Stock seat is very comfortable along with those hbars. Plenty of torque to hit the mountain passes and will cruise at 80mph all day long while getting 50mpg. If you clean up and make roadworthy you will get your money back a few times over as there is a cult following for the R65. A lot of beemerites consider it one of the smoothest twin produced back then. The carbs are silly easy to work on and I see it only has 5k miles on it. But it's more than a commuter bike. Think of the GS650E as a close comparison. For 2 up riding it is a little too soft even with stiffest setting and will bottom out on bumps. Great handling all day rider that is a joy to ride and look at cleaned up. The CB350 may have it's appeal but it's a junky toy bike compared to the R65 if you are planning on logging many miles on it. Here is what yours could look like....my '82 R65 that I enjoyed but threw on CL with a fair (but profitable) price and had 2 people promising cash sight unseen within 2 hours. I sold it to the first caller from VT for my asking price.
              Thanks for the info

Got a few things to sort out, mainly the ownership, and then I can figure out my next step.....

I was not looking at putting a whole lot of cash into either bike, time and effort no problem, I have all winter for that...but I must get the paper work in order before anything is done....

If we get another warmish day, I will hit it with the power washer and some rags just too see how clean it is, then take it from there....

Comment

Glad to see you finally got those bikes. Both are little diamonds in the rough. It would be a shame to have to part them out so I hope you are making an effort to sort out the ownerships. You are luck the owner is right close to you.

I would think that if he has his original paperwork it should be straightforward to get Ont. registrations.

As mentioned, they both are in relatively good cosmetic shape so with a bit of spit and polish they could easily be made very attractive. I can see some spring time flipping about to happen and on that note, I think it is time to let the GS go to a new home too. With 4 bikes now in the stable the lovely wife must be going mental on you and a little bit of cash in hand might keep her sweet when you find an FZR 1000

I don't see anything mentioned about the state of mechanicals but I shouldn't think it would be a huge effort to get them to fire up.

I definitely think you lucked out here old bud. Let us know how it shakes out.

Cheers.
                A.
                Last edited by Guest; 12-03-2014, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                  Glad to see you finally got those bikes. Both are little diamonds in the rough. It would be a shame to have to part them out so I hope you are making an effort to sort out the ownerships. You are luck the owner is right close to you.

I would think that if he has his original paperwork it should be straightforward to get Ont. registrations.

As mentioned, they both are in relatively good cosmetic shape so with a bit of spit and polish they could easily be made very attractive. I can see some spring time flipping about to happen and on that note, I think it is time to let the GS go to a new home too. With 4 bikes now in the stable the lovely wife must be going mental on you and a little bit of cash in hand might keep her sweet when you find an FZR 1000

I don't see anything mentioned about the state of mechanicals but I shouldn't think it would be a huge effort to get them to fire up.

I definitely think you lucked out here old bud. Let us know how it shakes out.

Cheers.
                  A.
                  Yup, your right a couple of very rough diamonds.....and hopefully not more than a wet rag, and some polish to get them up to snuff to flip in the spring......that will only happen if the ownership and registration gets sorted, and to do this I need some time to get to the MTO and see what they say, but no car at the moment, so I am stuck at work all day, and get picked up at the end of the day....might have to wait until my holidays to get this looked at.

4 bikes, who would have thought.....2 in the garage, one in the shed, and one parked in the backyard beside the hot tub, they are like rabbits all of a sudden.....hehehehehe

I was actually thinking of selling off the Honda, BMW and the Suzuki, I want to keep the FZ for now, it's been a blast to ride and I really enjoyed it, so it's one I really want to keep for now, maybe get her painted up this winter, and she will look even better for next season.....

As for the 2 new additions, I did not even try to start or turn over, it's cold, and no room in the garage make it hard to work on, still have a sled in the garage, it has not been sold yet, son's car is in there now as well, so the dog is even complaining about the lack of room, heck I had to toss the trailer off to the side of the house, glad I have an understanding neighbour.....

Well, I will get to them as soon as I can, and sort things out slowly, but as mentioned, paper work is first and foremost.....

So it might be a while before much happens in this thread, but I will keep it alive, and if I go into resto mode, I will start a new thread for each of the bikes....

Cheers

Comment

Nice to see you post, spyug.
                    Things have been too quiet from Hamilton.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

WOW, almost a year since I posted the initial post......

but I have great news, I have both bikes registered now in my name with Canadian ownership papers, when I accepted the bikes I wasn't aware they were still under US ownership, so after paying duties and tax a few hundred bucks less in my wallet, the bikes are now Canadian citizens,,,,lol

so I have a nice couple of projects to tinker with over the summer

just have to decide if it will be a full frame off restoration, or just a quick spit shine and sell them to get some coin, I guess I will know once I start digging into them....

well at least the bikes don't have to be parted out for parts only, yay......
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2015, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Sweet!While a small part would still kinda like the Beemer my dance card is full.The mystery Katana http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...cle&highlight= will probably be next in line and we are reaching our to many for the space threshold

Comment

Cool beans GK. time to get to work again. And you know, you can never have just one bike! Those little 350's are cool. I've been on the lookout for the CL scrambler version for my stable. I love the high pipes on those little guys. Good luck with the resto/sell.
                          1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                          2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Hey Sci85, yup going to have some work ahead of me, I don't mind, so long as I have a daily ride, the wrenching will be a nice way to whittle away the summer nights when I am not out....

Comment

got the bags, and inside a few other items, a couple of rain suites, and an old tank bag, too bad all the foam crumbled as soon as it was touched...

at least the bags are in descent shape...

Click here to view the original image of 800x1071px.

Comment

Well the BMW is going to be an easy one.....I spent a few hours cleaning it up, and man it comes out nice, not resto nice yet, but a few more hours of some finer detail work and this bike will be ready to ride....mind you I have to get a battery, fresh gas, and see if she will start, but under the dust and cobwebs she cleaned up really nice.....

Comment

Working...
                                X