Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

idle curiousity - trying to find what model my father had for 2 stroke yamaha 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It wasn't that uncommon for guys raised on 2 strokes to add a touch of oil to their 1st forays into 4 strokes. We called it wet engines, the idea being longer engine life. I say he did this with a TX500 Yamaha, or really just had a Suzuki Titan twin.

Comment

I think I mis-spoke, dads bike needed carburetors synched not valves adjusted.

I wish I could remember the letters in front of the 500 on the side covers.

The rd350 looks a perfect match but wrong size e
      ngine. But I think almost all the bikes would be real similar from then.

Comment

There were no 500cc 2-strokes from Yamaha at that time. Hell, even the YZ465 was years away.
        Last edited by GS1150Pilot; 06-19-2015, 01:03 AM.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

An RD250 for reference ...

Attached Files
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

I would say tx500 spot on. On a look the rd doesn't seem right. I remember it having a round key, a gas tank cap on a hinge that locked. Shiney chrome engine that filled the whole space. Either no clutch lockout for ignition or was disabled. (When i was 5 he left the bike outside with key in ignition. I knew to turn the key on and press the ignition button to start it. I remember monkeying with the gear shifter, then starting the bike from the far side since I couldn't reach the button on the right side and the bike taking off and falling over.)

The Kill switch might have been a red turn to kill not a toggle switch. The Cluster may have stated "unleaded only" but I am unclear if this was the original gauge since he replaced the gauge at one time. I do remember him telling me the bike needed 20:1 of oil when I asked why he put oil on at fill up. (Same conversation when he told me he disabled the auto oiler.)

Comment

It had to be either an RD350/400 or one of the TX/XS bikes.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

I'm pretty sure the RD350 didn't have electric start. The OP clearly describes pushing a starter button which dumped the bike (not sure of the TX500's exact arrangement, but most bikes of the era did not have a neutral starter lockout), so I think we can rule out the RD.

As we've said before, it was very, very common in the '70s for people to mix oil in the gas on bikes with 4-cycle engines, so it's hard to take that as much evidence one way or another.

You still see this strange belief pop up today -- there's a thread over on the V-Strom forum right now where some geezer is advocating oil in the gas as a cure for everything from spinal curvature to ho-hum breath.
                Last edited by bwringer; 06-21-2015, 10:46 AM.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

My eyes tell me the tx500 could have been it. But since the tx was a 4 stroke and would not have had the auto oiler that dad said he disabled for unknown reasons who knows. I've been searching to see if there is a way to check his registration records but I don't see anything online. Probably too old to be put online.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    I'm pretty sure the RD350 didn't have electric start.
                    But the early '70s models like the CS5e (200cc) and the YDS7 (250cc) did.

Keep going people, we'll get it in the end.
                    The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Are you sure it was that he didn't trust the "auto lube pump" or he didn't trust the new unleaded fuel? There were more than a few people that added Marvel Mystery oil, or outboard oil to their gas to "lubricate their valves" because they didn't trust the unleaded gas in their motors. As a matter of fact, I read some guys post on an RV forum, recently, that says he still does it on his old RV!
                      1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
                      sigpic
                      My GS550 Build

Comment

I can't think of any twin two stroke street bikes from the 70s with electric start.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          I can't think of any twin two stroke street bikes from the 70s with electric start.

An example of one I mentioned earlier. I had one when I was seventeen.

The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Originally posted by 8ball View Post
                            Are you sure it was that he didn't trust the "auto lube pump" or he didn't trust the new unleaded fuel? There were more than a few people that added Marvel Mystery oil, or outboard oil to their gas to "lubricate their valves" because they didn't trust the unleaded gas in their motors. As a matter of fact, I read some guys post on an RV forum, recently, that says he still does it on his old RV!
                            I don't think it was marvel mystery oil due to him telling it needed 20:1 ratio and rattling off some massively quick math off the top of his head about some amount of gallons and fraction of gallons to ounces needed while pouring in the oil to the gas tank.

I remember a conversation about leaded vs unleaded gas

He also constantly ranted about Harley Davidson bikes being unreliable, I remember him stating that him and the club went for a ride, 2 members had brand new Harley Davidson bikes and at a fuelstop just after first service died. ( he also complained that he would stop for gas with them and by the time they were done kickstarting he needed more gas

Comment

Working...
                            X