If all the V-Stroms looked this good...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If all the V-Stroms looked this good...

I might be forced to pick one up. Look at this thing: (It's a CL ad from Peoria, IL a bit to my south).

I'm not even sure how that price compares to similar Stroms, but here's the problem: My beloved Honda Nighthawk in my sig is on its way out of my life. Sad day; I bought it for $600 about 13 or 14 years ago and I've ridden the daylights out of it. On my last ride, though, it's developed an internal chain noise. It's not audible when it's started cold, but of course I intend to disclose this noise in my ebay ad. It'll kill my 'take', but if I get my original $600 after fees and so forth, well, there's some karma circulating.

So, a few questions: How is the WeeStrom on longer rides, does it eat tires, and how needy is it in the maintenance area?

Excuse me whilst I slip off in search of a Strom forum. (Stromtroopers? I sorta remember that title...).
    Last edited by robertbarr; 06-23-2015, 08:42 PM.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

your link no workie
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
      your link no workie
      Thanks. Fixed it.
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

The Wee is perfect for longer rides, although one thing every rider has to sort out for his or herself is the windshield. Stock, it works for absolutely no one

No, they don't eat tires, and in fact the "ADV" rubber category has some very long-wearing choices. You can spoon on some touring rubber and regularly go 10,000 miles or more between tire shop visits. Or you can spoon on knobbies and roost like a hooligan for 2,000 miles a set.

The one thing about the Wee and Vee is that they are TALL. If you have less than about a 31"-32" inseam, you may find yourself on tippytoes. They can be lowered, and the seat can also be lowered, but the usual tradeoffs apply.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

This fellow rode down to John Day, Oregon on this Vstrom from Victoria, BC and he seems to have enjoyed himself. It must have been at least an 800 mile ride one way, plus the hooligan miles following Trevor. He sure kept up fine. My 1100g couldn't shake him. Ok, maybe it was me being a bit slow. That's a sweet Nighthawk!

cg
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

In the short time I've had my '06 DL650 I've clocked over 1500 miles already. Commuter, highway, winding roads, choppy back roads, mountain gap roads, dirt roads and even 4 wheel drive roads and....I love it. Plenty of grunt where you need it on the road and will cruise all day long at 80mph. The windshield seems to be a common complaint but mine had the adjustable aftermarket windshield to mod the angle and height so no issue there. The seat is not as comfortable as my GS1000G but it will work on 300 mile days and now I am trying a gel pad to add comfort. As mentioned it is a tall bike (because it has great clearance for corners and rough stuff) but any 6 ft person with 32" inseam will be flat foot at stops. The 5.8 gal tank with avg 55mpg using regular gas gives me 300 mile range possibilities. I put a new set of Shinko 705's and they work great. I have not been able to scrape the pegs even in really hard cornering and it is light and nimble. It is about 40 lbs lighter than the DL1000 and 100lbs lighter than most old litre GSes. You should check that bike out since he has all the farkles included...skid plate, handguards, tall windshield, bags, heated grips, and centerstand. Just tack on some highways pegs and you'll be ready for cross country trips. No, you should really run to check that out and maybe you might steal that low mileage bike for $4500...or just give him the $4950 and ride it home. Worth every penny. Plenty of owners with 50k plus on them. Great for 2up riding too. What else can I praise the Wee about?
            Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2015, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Robert, that looks like a beautiful bike and is very well equipped for the price, the guy who owns that has probably set it up for a long trip but never made it happen, unfortunately that is a pretty common them.

The stock Trailwings on my 2012 Wee Strom have about 19,000KM on them and I could probably get another 2K out of them, so tire wear is not an issue unless you do a few track days.

I have the 2012 650 VStrom and love the bike, even two-up it's not too bad for power and I never feel like I'm wringing it's neck staying with the groups I ride with.

My only issue is the stock seat, it just doesn't work for me, after 1 1/2 - 2hrs I'm feeling pretty sore, I may try the Suzuki tall seat option or get a Russell Daylong, I'm 6' 2" and can flat foot it with 2-3" to spare.

Certainly one of the best all round motorcycles available and I have been very impressed with mine, zero issues since new.

What are you waiting for, if you have the $$$ just go buy it, you will not regret it.

David
              2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
              2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
              1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
              2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
              1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
              1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
              1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
              Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post

This fellow rode down to John Day, Oregon on this Vstrom from Victoria, BC and he seems to have enjoyed himself. It must have been at least an 800 mile ride one way, plus the hooligan miles following Trevor. He sure kept up fine. My 1100g couldn't shake him. Ok, maybe it was me being a bit slow. That's a sweet Nighthawk!

cg
                "Hooligan miles following Trevor"..?? I have no idea what you are talking about.
                No signature

Comment

My friend has a 2007 - first of the twin sparks. I just did a valve adjust on it for him - bit of a pain but not difficult & would take half the time to do it again.

Great bike to ride - not as tall or as long in the leg as my 2009 KLR (I am 5'8" with a 31-32" leg). The best bit about riding the older stroms is that from the seat you don't have to look at them... UGLY!

I like the new ones much better....
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I would definitely take that deal. It's a 2009 but with the low miles and all the farkles it is worth it. I put several hundred into mine the first month I had it just to get it minimally set up for long haul riding. And I do not have near the gear this one has.

Mine is a 2014 which is the newer (2012+) version. I suspect they ride about the same. I have had it for exactly a year and put a hair under 10,000 miles on it, just about all on long trips. So yeah, it does a good job at touring. The wee stroms are relatively light for a touring mount, but they have a long wheel base--longer than our GS's or my BMW RT even--and are very stable a interstate speeds.

It looks like the owner has already addressed the windshield issue. You will probably have to do something with the seat to do long days comfortably. It might be as easy as just getting an Airhawk or some other type of pad. You might need to bite the bullet for a custom seat. But I think that is true of most current motorcycles.

If you aren't particular about the aesthetics Wal Mart has a pretty good solution in the auto department for $11.47.

Attached Files
                    Last edited by dpep; 06-25-2015, 10:08 AM.
                    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Yeah, they're sort of ok for long trips.

Like most sport touring bikes (which is what I consider a Strom to be, the off-road pretensions are a little silly IMO) it needs a new windshield and seat, and the suspension worked on. That done, the bike is just magic. It has a beautifully balanced feel and somehow is way more than the sum of it's parts.
                      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                        Yeah, they're sort of ok for long trips.

Like most sport touring bikes (which is what I consider a Strom to be, the off-road pretensions are a little silly IMO) it needs a new windshield and seat, and the suspension worked on. That done, the bike is just magic. It has a beautifully balanced feel and somehow is way more than the sum of it's parts.

Watch this video before you dismiss the DL650 for the occasionally off road detour on a cross country trip.

We pit the Kawasaki KLR 650 against the Suzuki V Strom 650 in a BRUTALLY HONEST Middleweight ADV Motorcycle Deathmatch! We review both bikes' strengths and w...

It is not a dirt bike by any means because of it's weight but I've taken my Wee on terrain that I wouldn't try with the GS650E or just any street sport touring bike. I have the Shinko 705's but put a set of Conti TKC 80 tires on and I'd push the Wee even further on rougher terrain.

Comment

Nice Share Lurch... Those were some AWESOME trail roads... Wish we had stuff like that in our neck of the woods. Mud trails is what we got from all this rain... Makes me want to take the FZ out!!!
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                          Originally posted by Hayabuser
                          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

All I can say is I have owned a lot of motorcycles over the years and now my daily rider is a gladius 650, and yes I was surprised I bought it as well , but I love that motor it is awesome , just my 2cents, Brian

Comment

Working...
                            X