No announcement yet.

Thoughts on FJR 1300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the Yammy ST, but but would go for the Kawi, were I to get something in that category.

1979 GS1000

Comment

" Sold mine spring of 2003 for what I had paid for it in 2002."

For what it is worth the FJR's seem to hold their value very well. Love the Connie's motor, the 14 is nothing like the old 1000 Connie. I'm in Connecticut, everything we looked at was priced well above KBB. The Honda was a steal, guy was moving, U-haul packed. He wanted his wife to drive the uhaul and he was going to ride the ST to NC. I made him an offer and she explained to him how it was going to go......

Comment

Originally posted by eddie21 View Post
        . The bulletproof shaft Kawi designed for it is a thing of beauty all by itself.
        looks a bit like this

2002 R1150RT

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Wife and I rented a 1200RT on a trip to Oregon a couple years ago. Bike had 60K + on it, we put just over 1600 miles on it in 4 days. Awesome 2-up bike, very comfortable, rock steady handling. it was on our short list when we were buying. Just too expensive to leave in the garage for the couple times a tear we get to take a trip.

Comment

Still haven't completely decided but leaning towards the Connie.The only thing that really bothers me are all the electronics. Just can't come to grips with not being able to do roadside repairs on so critical item's such as a fail key fob
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I'm seeing a lot of former FJR owners go to the FJ-09 with the FJR bags. Seems like your getting a two-fer, Sport touring with the bags / ABS and full on hooligan without. Probably looking at 12K before you've got it set up with a proper two up seat. They've got new maps that resolve any fueling issues. Not a really attractive bike but I've yet to see a bad or even middling review.

Comment

Well I bought a first gen Fjr today, got it for a decent price with a few extras. 65 year old ,one owner bike with all records. It is an 05' , hasPenski shock, Gmd rebuilt front end with race tech springs and has been revalved, new tires fresh fluids all around, Throttlemiester throttle lock. Heated grips, . Figured I would pick this up and see if I liked it instead of buying new. I got it at a price where If I don't like it I can flip it pretty easily
                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,

Comment

Congrats, I'm with you, screw new, too much depreciation.

Sounds sorted, does it have mods to reduce engine heat on the thighs? There are three of them local to me at $4500 with less than 20K miles but they don't have those nice suspension mods

I have a Penske on my FZ1 and its very nice. The wife keeps pointing at the FJRs we see saying wouldn't one of those be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
                    Congrats, I'm with you, screw new, too much depreciation.

Sounds sorted, does it have mods to reduce engine heat on the thighs? There are three of them local to me at $4500 with less than 20K miles but they don't have those nice suspension mods

I have a Penske on my FZ1 and its very nice. The wife keeps pointing at the FJRs we see saying wouldn't one of those be nice.
                    No heat mods that I know of , but had not heard much about heat on the thighs just the left foot on real hot days. Ya 4500 is where I am at with the mods, a few more miles though.We will see , and f I like it may find one alittle newer down the road.But I am so big I have to go with what fits me(6'4" 310 lbs)
                    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

Please let me know what you think of the bike. I have been doing more and more research about them and know the Gen 1s have a big heat issue towards the rider like Isleoman said. According to the information I found, the Gen IIs (2006 to about 2012) do a better job at keeping the rider cool. But the one close to me that I can find at a decent price is a 2005 model
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Up in NH it may be fine, I rode a friend's '06 down here in Oklahoma in the summer and the heat really put me off. One of the main reasons I gave up on the big ST bikes and went with a V-Strom as my touring/commuting bike.
                        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                          Still haven't completely decided but leaning towards the Connie.The only thing that really bothers me are all the electronics. Just can't come to grips with not being able to do roadside repairs on so critical item's such as a fail key fob
                          And what bike is devoid of said electronics overload? That's why all my stuff is early 80's. My son can't work on his Beemer, my nephew can't work on his Indian, buddy can't do anything on his V-Max, etc. I swear they have 1/2 dozen onboard computers or better.

Comment

He got a Yamaha, it will never break down!
                            Currently bikeless
                            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The mods to reduce the heat are pretty in-expensive. Some folks feel the need to reduce it others don't.

Like Jethro says its a Yamaha it won't break down.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                                He got a Yamaha, it will never break down!
                                I won't go that far, seems to me I see a life line from a GS to a Yamaha not that long ago.��
                                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

Working...
                                X