Originally posted by trevor View Post
    You have never seen BigT on his 1000. Lol
    Exactly what I was going to say. Bear on a bicycle,,,
    sigpic
    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
    1983 GS1100e
    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
    1980 GS1260
    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
      I won't go that far, seems to me I see a life line from a GS to a Yamaha not that long ago.��
      HAHAHA.... Yup!

The GS was milking it enough to get power, then you had to use the Connie to get the battery... LOL Fun times in Vermont.

Congrats on the Purchase Jim!!!! Next meet I want to shoot a spin on the FJR!
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
        I don't think it's exactly on the level to state categorically that the Gen 1 FJR is lemon-like. It's not. As I said, I have friends who have ridden them, and the one who put 70K on one did it on an '03-and that bike is still running very well (we still see the bike at bike nights). Neither of the guys I know who have them have had a single hiccup or reliability issue. In 2011, Cycle World listed the Gen 1 FJR as a number one used bike buy.

camchain adjuster noise is chronic - due to lack of manual adjustment -after replacement it returns. so you have to live with it.

Right now we have one torn apart at the shop with transmission problems. it does not have excessive miles but seems as if the gears were either soft or incorrectly clearance to the shaft - the freewheeling gear can be moved almost 10 degrees both directions from perpendicular. This caused it to click or rattle - it never locked up by engaging 2 gears at once, but close.

our customer spent a lot of money to buy it and is spending a lot more money so he can ride it.
        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Fair enough. I'm sure we could find any number of GSes that have been individual lemons. Camchain noise aside, the Gen 1 has a solid reputation.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

I'm going to go check out a Yamaha FJ1300 today. It's a leftover 2016. Not that I'm going to buy it, I just want to see how it fits me. The dealership that has it is about 60 miles away from me. It's a cold day, figured I'd go for a road trip in the Buick.

I hope it fits me☺
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Let us know what you think. They are sweet machines, in my opinion.
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                I'm going to go check out a Yamaha FJ1300 today. It's a leftover 2016. Not that I'm going to buy it, I just want to see how it fits me. The dealership that has it is about 60 miles away from me. It's a cold day, figured I'd go for a road trip in the Buick.

I hope it fits me☺
                Bet you will.
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I went to Pro+ Motorsports north of Pittsburgh to check out the FJ1300 they have there. I was happy they also had a Kawasaki Concourse there to compare the two. The Kawasaki was nice, but it felt tall to me. The Yamaha, with it's adjustable seat height felt a lot more comfortable to me. The dealer didn't want to take to much off the retail price, especially for a leftover 2016 $14,500 is the out the door price, not including tax&title. I would have to pay that in Ohio. I suppose if I had cash in my pocket they would deal a little more. We'll see, right now I'm just kicking the idea around... Sure is a beautiful motorcycle 👍
                  Attached Files
                  My Motorcycles:
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)

Comment

Norm, check out the Eaglerider Motorcycle Rental Company (there's one at Iron Pony) as they will rent out a FJR for whatever time you wish. I rode the FJR a couple of years ago and liked it for everything except my driveway. It's a very top heavy bike so trying to maneuver it in my slanted driveway would be an adventure. Whenever I can get the funds for a new bike, it will be between it and the Bandit with me leaning towards the Bandit for the weight differences.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Cycletrader has a number of new 2016 FJR for less than the dealer you visited. I think a couple were in PA. FJR owners say the five speed trans was fine but I think I would like the six which was first offered in 2016.

Comment

Joe Nardy had a couple & liked them a lot until he switched to a Tenere for added seat to peg length... I suspect he would be a good source of info on them
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Well, if Joe liked them that's all I need to know.👍

However, I wonder if the ES model (electronic adjustable suspension) is worth the extra $1,200? The A and ES both have LED lighting. But the ES has corner lighting that comes on at different lean angles. 7° 12° 15° (don't quote me on the angles)
                          My Motorcycles:
                          79 1000e (all original)
                          82 850g (all original)

Comment

Norm, did you get the opportunity to test ride it? Really that's the only way to know if it's going to fit you or not. Might have to wait for next spring to find a demo to try out.
                            Good luck buddy.
                            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                              Anyone have one or any viable info on the machine I should know. I found a couple that look like a good replacement for the old GS 1000g.
                              Thoughts?
                              Likes?
                              dislikes?
                              Three - four years ago I was looking for what more modern bike to have for the next few years.

FJR was top of the list. ALthough for the price I was willing to pay, that put me in the 1st gen (2001-2005). BUt I was a bit concerned about all the reports of "chestnuts roasting on an open fire".

Ended up finding a R1150RT for a good price.
                              Both are probably more "sporty" than I need.

Last edited by Redman; 11-13-2017, 09:51 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                                Norm, did you get the opportunity to test ride it? ....
                                Lar, see post #68

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                                X