To Vee or not to Vee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Vee or not to Vee?

An opportunity to own a 2002 DL 1000 has come about rather unexpectedly and I'd like to hear from some V-Strom owners. I've poked around on stromtroopers forum and know about the buffeting from the windshield which I may have to address. Being the first production year of the Vee what, if any, are some other issues I may need to address?

I'm 5' 8" and 140 lbs and this is a tall bike. I sat on it while still on a dolly and was able to touch both toes down but may still need to add lowering links like I did on my previous dual sport, the KLR 650.

Another consideration is passenger comfort. Do any of you ride two up? I hear the riding position is upright similar to the 850G but wonder about the passenger. I'd like for my wife and I to be able to hit the road and get lost in the mountains, so to speak, but also to be comfortable on the way there.

The asking price seems reasonable, very reasonable actually. The odometer says 40k miles. Considering the skid plate, bags and trunk, bark busters, crash bars, dual 12v outlets, oil cooler (stock?), center stand (also maybe stock) and it's overall condition with the $1500 price tag it's hard to pass up.

Here's a pic of the bike, tucked away in a shed where it's been for two years.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Burque73; 08-23-2017, 09:33 AM.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Another pic.

Attached Files
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I would think your wife would actually prefer the ride of the 850 as a passenger. But then, I could be wrong as I often am.

Nice price and with lots more technology than the older 850. Now if you are going to keep the 850 as well, then go for it. Good luck.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

For $1500 it's a nobrainer. Worst case, sell it if you don't like it and make a profit.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hm, that looks verrrrrrrrrrrrrry familiar...

The report from the rear is that passenger accommodations are actually somewhat better than the 850G, although your passenger may or may not enjoy the added height. On mine, I had to make some changes to the case mounting plate to move it back a bit.

The engines are pretty much bulletproof, but you may need to catch up on maintenance. I bought mine with 44,000 miles, and through three lazy owners the valves had never been touched. Seven out of eight shims needed to be replaced at that time, but I'm at about 107,000 miles now and the valve clearances haven't moved at all.

One nice bonus is that the 2002-2003 Vees tended to have fewer stator problems -- they used a stator that puts out about 50 less watts than the later models, and it seems to cause less trouble. (And yes, the stator and R/R are pretty much identical in overall design to the GS series...) Suzuki's habit of using crappy undersized unsealed connectors continues to this day -- make sure you inspect and clean ALL the connectors before you ride far. There's a downright STUPID intermediate stator connector before the R/R, and under the left fairing "cheek" there's an absolutely ASININE connector block where both headlights (around ten amps) are powered via one teensy tiny connector pin.

You'll likely need to perform the fuel filter bypass if that hasn't already been done. Google around to find the test and the instructions -- it's all pretty simple and cheap. And this bike is also right at the mileage when a dead Throttle Position Sensor is likely. About $75 and an hour or so to replace and calibrate.

Holler if you have questions! I'm also "bwringer" over on Stromtrooper.com and ADVrider.com.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I would agree...BUY IT at that price. If I was close by I would buy if you hesitated!! The DL1000 has all the good features of the 850G including 2up riding comfort with about 50 pounds less weight even decked out with bags and other accessories. You might be scraping those highway peg mounts though if you like to lean hard into the corners and use lowering links. Looks like from that photo that someone has already dropped the front forks down an inch or so in the triple tree?
            BTW, I've owned the DL650 and logged about 10k miles on it. I swapped out the stock DL650 seat for a DL1000 stock seat for comfort. I've ridden friends' DL1000 hundreds of miles also.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-24-2017, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Thanks for replies guys.

Larry, I do plan on keeping the 850. Been talking to my son lately about using the right tool for the job and this bike seems like a useful tool to have in the box. I took the 850 on a Navajo reservation road last year and wound up in trouble, dropped the bike after getting caught in a rut. That was on 54 near Laguna Pueblo south of I-40 20 miles or so. The hours passed while I waited for help and I started dreaming about a dual sport.

Ed, you're right. No brainer indeed. I just don't have that cash laying around so have to get creative in scraping up funds, overtime etc.

Brian, I spoke with a local member, themess, and a few pm's with gbw. Both said you'd have much to say about these bikes so thanks for chiming in. Added height may be welcome to my wife. She says it's kind of a bummer view on back of the 850, looking only to the sides unless she leans off to one side or the other, which she's really good about avoiding. I did ask about the valves and the owner says they've been inspected twice. In spec both times. Being gunshy with GS valve issues, I cringed at the thought of two inspections in 40k miles. Shim under bucket is what I've heard. This will be interesting. Hopefully the local shops stock shims for these still. I'll cross that bridge later.
              Thanks for info on fuel filter issue, throttle position sensor, and electrical stuff. There was a mod the owner mentioned behind the headlight. A connection bar or something. It was late when we spoke last and I was pooped from the day so memory is fuzzy. I'll pm you some details and see if you know the owner from the other forum.

Thanks again guys.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                I would agree...BUY IT at that price. If I was close by I would buy if you hesitated!! The DL1000 has all the good features of the 850G including 2up riding comfort with about 50 pounds less weight even decked out with bags and other accessories. You might be scraping those highway peg mounts though if you like to lean hard into the corners and use lowering links. Looks like from that photo that someone has already dropped the front forks down an inch or so in the triple tree?
                BTW, I've owned the DL650 and logged about 10k miles on it. I swapped out the stock DL650 seat for a DL1000 stock seat for comfort. I've ridden friends' DL1000 hundreds of miles also.

Thanks Lurch. It's not on the for sale sites and this guy is in no hurry to sell. Thankfully for me as I'm working out logistics still. I'll contact him today with more questions and a confirmation that I'm interested. Good to know about the seat, forks, and clearance.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                  Thanks for replies guys.

Larry, I do plan on keeping the 850. Been talking to my son lately about using the right tool for the job and this bike seems like a useful tool to have in the box. I took the 850 on a Navajo reservation road last year and wound up in trouble, dropped the bike after getting caught in a rut. That was on 54 near Laguna Pueblo south of I-40 20 miles or so. The hours passed while I waited for help and I started dreaming about a dual sport.

Ed, you're right. No brainer indeed. I just don't have that cash laying around so have to get creative in scraping up funds, overtime etc.

Brian, I spoke with a local member, themess, and a few pm's with gbw. Both said you'd have much to say about these bikes so thanks for chiming in. Added height may be welcome to my wife. She says it's kind of a bummer view on back of the 850, looking only to the sides unless she leans off to one side or the other, which she's really good about avoiding. I did ask about the valves and the owner says they've been inspected twice. In spec both times. Being gunshy with GS valve issues, I cringed at the thought of two inspections in 40k miles. Shim under bucket is what I've heard. This will be interesting. Hopefully the local shops stock shims for these still. I'll cross that bridge later.
                  Thanks for info on fuel filter issue, throttle position sensor, and electrical stuff. There was a mod the owner mentioned behind the headlight. A connection bar or something. It was late when we spoke last and I was pooped from the day so memory is fuzzy. I'll pm you some details and see if you know the owner from the other forum.

Thanks again guys.
                  Even though the DL1000 is a dual sport and will go places the 850G would struggle, especially with the correct tires, don't expect it to tackle the rough terrain like your KLR. It's a hefty bike to pick up too if you dump on the back roads. I've owned the KLR650 also, and took it places that I wouldn't try with my DL650. But probably 80% of your riding is on nice paved roads so a comfy ride is important like the DL1000 for most of the riding miles getting there.

Note: BTW I'll be in Utah in mid Sep(in a car) and may be down close to the 4 state borders. How far away are you? Buy that DL1000 and I'd love to borrow to take an afternoon ride ride with you! hint...hint...
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-24-2017, 10:16 AM.

Comment

As others have said, a complete no-brainer at that price. I've had a 650 Strom for 9 years now and love it. Great bike. However, for long distance comfort I found a new seat was essential. The 650 seat was awful, I swapped for a 1000 seat and it was better, but still not great. I ended up with a Corbin that works well for me. Everybody's butt is different though, so you'll need to ride it a bit to figure out if you need to change it.
                    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

A friend of mine bought a DL about 6 years ago to have "something different" to ride on his annual pilgrimage from Brisbane to the Phillip Island MotoGP round (about a 3K mile round trip) - he still has it and has ridden it every year since 2011.

Very competent bikes - especially over long distances.
                      Current:
                      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Good price, with lots of goodies.

I bought the DL in my sig (well, an identical copy) two seasons ago, and I absolutely love it. I'm 5' 8" as well, and I have no objections to the height of the bike. It's barely an issue. It had 6k, and I paid $4300 with brand new tires, Battlewings. So -- $1500 well-farkled puts you in good shape in dealing with maintenance. 2 valve checks already is a plus; any owner who is that diligent almost certainly cared for the rest of the machine as thoroughly.

I thought for a good while that the allure of motorcycling had faded for me. Maybe it did, until I bought this DL. Now, I head out on a weekend to grab an ice cream sandwich and somehow it adds more than 200 miles to the odometer. Luckily, it gets around 62 mpg average, and as high as 64+.

I wheel that thing out of the garage, and before I even hit the starter I know I bought the right bike for me. It's been a long time since I felt like that.
                        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                        __________________________________________________ ______________________
                        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                          Good price, with lots of goodies.

I bought the DL in my sig (well, an identical copy) two seasons ago, and I absolutely love it. I'm 5' 8" as well, and I have no objections to the height of the bike. It's barely an issue. It had 6k, and I paid $4300 with brand new tires, Battlewings. So -- $1500 well-farkled puts you in good shape in dealing with maintenance. 2 valve checks already is a plus; any owner who is that diligent almost certainly cared for the rest of the machine as thoroughly.

I thought for a good while that the allure of motorcycling had faded for me. Maybe it did, until I bought this DL. Now, I head out on a weekend to grab an ice cream sandwich and somehow it adds more than 200 miles to the odometer. Luckily, it gets around 62 mpg average, and as high as 64+.

I wheel that thing out of the garage, and before I even hit the starter I know I bought the right bike for me. It's been a long time since I felt like that.
                          What a great post!
                          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Such positive comments about the Vstrom, I wish I had it already. I spoke with the owner tonight and we're on for Saturday to meet up and I'll likely bring it home. Now that I have a better idea what to expect, and the value of what's being offered up, it's easier to digest and frankly more exciting.
                            Roger

Current rides
                            1983 GS 850G
                            2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                              Even though the DL1000 is a dual sport and will go places the 850G would struggle, especially with the correct tires, don't expect it to tackle the rough terrain like your KLR. It's a hefty bike to pick up too if you dump on the back roads. I've owned the KLR650 also, and took it places that I wouldn't try with my DL650. But probably 80% of your riding is on nice paved roads so a comfy ride is important like the DL1000 for most of the riding miles getting there.

Note: BTW I'll be in Utah in mid Sep(in a car) and may be down close to the 4 state borders. How far away are you? Buy that DL1000 and I'd love to borrow to take an afternoon ride ride with you! hint...hint...
                              I like excuses to head to the four corners area. Got a taste of Utah a few weeks ago riding through Monument Valley. It was pouring rain through most of it but wow, what an amazing landscape.

I'm about a four hour drive from four corners.
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Working...
                              X