How to remove master link?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
    I didn't want to get in or this tit for tat over chains, but your putting the clip on wrong. The open end should be pointing towards the rear sprocket when on the top of the chain run, not the bottom.
    Chuck, Rick is absolutely correct about the clip orientation on this. Do a search. It is important that it is installed correctly.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

My new $14 chain breaker worked easily and perfectly after the dremel made quick work of the flared rivet heads. I was just overthinking it.
      2010 Honda VFR1200F
      1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
      Being Revisited
      1981 Honda CM400T
      http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Chuck, someone out there has my Dad's 75 CB750 with engine case damage because the master was installed the way you think is correct.
        Please don't do it. It makes it a lot easier for the oval clip to get popped off. Then BANG, you stuff half of your chain into your left case. Luckily, it was 1/4 mile from our house.
        GSRick is right. The open end should trail, not lead as the chain moves.
        1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
        1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
        1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
        Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Originally posted by cloudbreakmd View Post
          My new $14 chain breaker worked easily and perfectly after the dremel made quick work of the flared rivet heads. I was just overthinking it.
          The $14 price is right happen to have a link to share? Loin Parts have very good prices and you can order direct or through EBay. Ordering their stuff through Walmart probably jacks up the price

Regarding the orientation of the master link, every chain I ever bought provides instructions which show the open end should be pointing towards the rear sprocket. IIRC, the original GS chain had no master link.
          Last edited by srsupertrap; 10-21-2017, 12:27 PM.
          1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
          Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Working...
          X