Too many rings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too many rings?

Hi everyone, I've been rebuilding my Gs250T engine for a while now, and I'm finally getting to the point where I should replace the piston rings. But when I look online all the sets have two bigger rings and two smaller rings and an oil retaining ring. This is for one piston but my piston only has spots for two compression rings and the oil retaining ring. Where do theses extra rings go? Also do the rings from the gsx550 fit the gs250? I've seen some for sale that claim they fit both.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    1980 Gs250T- Passed from father to son, also my first build.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Pretty sure the oil ring consists of 1 "corrugated ring" & 2 "thin flat rings", one on top & one on bottom of the corrugated ring. All these fit in the bottom ring groove on the piston...Hope someone will verify...Not a clue about 550 & 250 being the same.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        Pretty sure the oil ring consists of 1 "corrugated ring" & 2 "thin flat rings", one on top & one on bottom of the corrugated ring. All these fit in the bottom ring groove on the piston...Hope someone will verify...Not a clue about 550 & 250 being the same.
        That is correct on the oil ring!
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
        1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
          Thanks! I've only ever done two strokes so the whole oil ring(s) is new to me.

Comment

No oil ring, Dang no wonder them oil mixer things smoke soooo much.........Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

When installing the oil control ring it's extremely important that the ends of the expander are not overlapping. The ends need to butt together, not overlap. Be sure to double check after the rails are installed.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                When installing the oil control ring it's extremely important that the ends of the expander are not overlapping. The ends need to butt together, not overlap. Be sure to double check after the rails are installed.
                Thanks! Do I install the rails or the oil control ring first?

Comment

Pretty sure it is the oil control ring 1st followed by the thinner (rails) on bottom and top of the control ring.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Ok, as has been said, make sure the springy ring is on properly and then put the two thin rings into the edges of it, making sure they seat right all the way around. When it comes to positioning the the gaps in the thin rings, make sure they're not directly above one another. I usually have the inner ring (support ring) join at point-x and then position the top and bottom thin rings about 120deg away from that.
                    You see, ideally, all the rings should turn in use and this keeps them from fouling up. In the case of the oil control rings, it keeps the oil drain holes clear and active.
                    A properly fitted set do a good job.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                    X